FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > CentOS > CentOS

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 09-01-2011, 08:27 PM
Jerry Geis
 
Default hfsplus.ko

Hey on Centos 5 hfsplus.ko is part of the Kernel:

kernel-2.6.18-238.12.1.el5.x86_64 : The Linux kernel (the core of the
Linux operating system)
Repo : installed
Matched from:
Filename : /lib/modules/2.6.18-238.12.1.el5/kernel/fs/hfsplus/hfsplus.ko

doing a yum provides "*/hfsplus.ko" on CentOS 6 finds nothing.

What happened to hfsplus.ko on Centos 6?

Thanks,

Jerry
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 09-01-2011, 08:41 PM
Ned Slider
 
Default hfsplus.ko

On 01/09/11 21:27, Jerry Geis wrote:
> Hey on Centos 5 hfsplus.ko is part of the Kernel:
>
> kernel-2.6.18-238.12.1.el5.x86_64 : The Linux kernel (the core of the
> Linux operating system)
> Repo : installed
> Matched from:
> Filename : /lib/modules/2.6.18-238.12.1.el5/kernel/fs/hfsplus/hfsplus.ko
>
> doing a yum provides "*/hfsplus.ko" on CentOS 6 finds nothing.
>
> What happened to hfsplus.ko on Centos 6?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jerry

I don't know why Red Hat chose not to enable it in the kernel, but
elrepo has it for you:

http://elrepo.org/linux/elrepo/el6/

Set up elrepo, and then do:

yum install kmod-hfsplus

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 09-01-2011, 08:42 PM
Lucian
 
Default hfsplus.ko

On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 9:27 PM, Jerry Geis <geisj@pagestation.com> wrote:
> *Hey on Centos 5 hfsplus.ko is part of the Kernel:
>
> kernel-2.6.18-238.12.1.el5.x86_64 : The Linux kernel (the core of the
> Linux operating system)
> Repo * * * *: installed
> Matched from:
> Filename * *: /lib/modules/2.6.18-238.12.1.el5/kernel/fs/hfsplus/hfsplus.ko
>
> doing a yum provides "*/hfsplus.ko" on CentOS 6 finds nothing.
>
> What happened to hfsplus.ko on Centos 6?
>

See if elrepo.org provide it.
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 09-01-2011, 09:05 PM
Jerry Geis
 
Default hfsplus.ko

I'm not all that excited about using another repo.

I changed the makefile to:
obj-m += hfsplus.o

all:
make -C /lib/modules/$(shell uname -r)/build M=$(PWD) bfind.o
make -C /lib/modules/$(shell uname -r)/build M=$(PWD) bitmap.o
make -C /lib/modules/$(shell uname -r)/build M=$(PWD) bnode.o
make -C /lib/modules/$(shell uname -r)/build M=$(PWD) brec.o
make -C /lib/modules/$(shell uname -r)/build M=$(PWD) btree.o
make -C /lib/modules/$(shell uname -r)/build M=$(PWD) catalog.o
make -C /lib/modules/$(shell uname -r)/build M=$(PWD) dir.o
make -C /lib/modules/$(shell uname -r)/build M=$(PWD) extents.o
make -C /lib/modules/$(shell uname -r)/build M=$(PWD) inode.o
make -C /lib/modules/$(shell uname -r)/build M=$(PWD) ioctl.o
make -C /lib/modules/$(shell uname -r)/build M=$(PWD) options.o
make -C /lib/modules/$(shell uname -r)/build M=$(PWD) part_tbl.o
make -C /lib/modules/$(shell uname -r)/build M=$(PWD) super.o
make -C /lib/modules/$(shell uname -r)/build M=$(PWD) tables.o
make -C /lib/modules/$(shell uname -r)/build M=$(PWD) unicode.o
make -C /lib/modules/$(shell uname -r)/build M=$(PWD) wrapper.o

I extracted the source for 2.6.32.46 and found the fs/hfsplus directory.
The above files are present. I changed the makefile to the above.

All the files compile - however I dont know how to make the hfsplus.ko
What step does that take?

Thanks, ( I know most people just use the repo - but I can't do that).

jerry
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 09-01-2011, 09:25 PM
Akemi Yagi
 
Default hfsplus.ko

On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 2:05 PM, Jerry Geis <geisj@pagestation.com> wrote:
> *I'm not all that excited about using another repo.
(snip)
> I extracted the source for 2.6.32.46 and found the fs/hfsplus directory.
> The above files are present. I changed the makefile to the above.
>
> All the files compile - however I dont know how to make the hfsplus.ko
> What step does that take?

You want to read through (and understand) this CentOS wiki article:

http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/BuildingKernelModules

> Thanks, ( I know most people just use the repo - but I can't do that).

I don't know why you "can't do that", but anyway, good luck building
your own module.

Akemi
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 09-02-2011, 04:48 AM
Ned Slider
 
Default hfsplus.ko

On 01/09/11 22:05, Jerry Geis wrote:
> I'm not all that excited about using another repo.
>
> I changed the makefile to:
> obj-m += hfsplus.o
>

<snip>

>
> I extracted the source for 2.6.32.46 and found the fs/hfsplus directory.
> The above files are present. I changed the makefile to the above.
>
> All the files compile - however I dont know how to make the hfsplus.ko
> What step does that take?
>
> Thanks, ( I know most people just use the repo - but I can't do that).
>

The elrepo.org module uses the source code from the RHEL6 kernel and
builds that rather than trying to backport a module from the upstream
kernel. Remember, the source code is in the RHEL6 kernel, it's just not
enabled by default.

Why don't you take a look at the elrepo SRPM and audit/rebuild it for
your own use - a packaged solution is nearly always the correct solution
(as KB pointed out recently elsewhere on this list), and by building a
kABI-tracking kmod RPM package you will likely never need to update it
again (otherwise you will need to recompile the module for every kernel
update). Or you can use the SRPM as a template to create your own
package using your kernel-2.6.32.46 source.

You should also consider filing a bug report upstream and make a case
for hfsplus inclusion in the RHEL6 kernel. It's not unheard of for Red
Hat to turn modules back on that they had previously disabled.

If you need any more specific help/assistance, pop over to the elrepo
mailing lists and Akemi or I will be more than happy to assist you there.

Hope that helps.



_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 09-06-2011, 03:34 PM
Lamar Owen
 
Default hfsplus.ko

On Friday, September 02, 2011 12:48:47 AM Ned Slider wrote:
> You should also consider filing a bug report upstream and make a case
> for hfsplus inclusion in the RHEL6 kernel. It's not unheard of for Red
> Hat to turn modules back on that they had previously disabled.

There be dragons here.

Be very, very , careful with hfsplus on Linux. I have had more than one HFS+ non-journalled volume toasted by the Linux in-kernel driver.

There is a supported commerical solution for HFS+ for Linux made by Paragon. I've not put it under load yet (load being deleting a few hundred thousand files in a tree; that sort of operation on Fedora 12 (very similar kernel to RHEL6) was a 100% reproduceable, nonrecoverable, filesystem 'toast') but plan to soon enough.

While I haven't found the documentation for it due to the way kernel patches are now done, I suspect the data reliability problem is the reason upstream has disabled it. It works fine for read-only purposes, but I wouldn't use it for bidirectional data interchange. Or do all of your deletion of large trees of small files (like trees of source code) inside Mac OS.

Better for interchange is one of the two or three ext2/3/4 filesystem drivers for MacOS (I'm using the one from Paragon, and it works well, even with large ext4 volumes) or using NTFS and drivers for Mac OS for NTFS (again, I use the Paragon drivers which came with my Seagate 1TB external).

HFS+ is just barely supported under the in-kernel Linux driver last I looked, and may go away from kernel mainline at some point.

So, this is one case to be really careful.
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 09-06-2011, 10:04 PM
Ned Slider
 
Default hfsplus.ko

On 06/09/11 16:34, Lamar Owen wrote:
> On Friday, September 02, 2011 12:48:47 AM Ned Slider wrote:
>> You should also consider filing a bug report upstream and make a case
>> for hfsplus inclusion in the RHEL6 kernel. It's not unheard of for Red
>> Hat to turn modules back on that they had previously disabled.
>
> There be dragons here.
>
> Be very, very , careful with hfsplus on Linux. I have had more than one HFS+ non-journalled volume toasted by the Linux in-kernel driver.
>
> There is a supported commerical solution for HFS+ for Linux made by Paragon. I've not put it under load yet (load being deleting a few hundred thousand files in a tree; that sort of operation on Fedora 12 (very similar kernel to RHEL6) was a 100% reproduceable, nonrecoverable, filesystem 'toast') but plan to soon enough.
>
> While I haven't found the documentation for it due to the way kernel patches are now done, I suspect the data reliability problem is the reason upstream has disabled it. It works fine for read-only purposes, but I wouldn't use it for bidirectional data interchange. Or do all of your deletion of large trees of small files (like trees of source code) inside Mac OS.
>
> Better for interchange is one of the two or three ext2/3/4 filesystem drivers for MacOS (I'm using the one from Paragon, and it works well, even with large ext4 volumes) or using NTFS and drivers for Mac OS for NTFS (again, I use the Paragon drivers which came with my Seagate 1TB external).
>
> HFS+ is just barely supported under the in-kernel Linux driver last I looked, and may go away from kernel mainline at some point.
>
> So, this is one case to be really careful.


Thanks for the heads up.

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 11:39 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org