Old 08-31-2011, 11:28 PM
"Michael D. Berger"

Default CentOS 6, KDE 4: bad DNS traffic

On Wed, 31 Aug 2011 18:22:42 +0000, Michael D. Berger wrote:

> On my new CentOS 6, KDE 4, running WireShark I see what appears to be
> frequent nonsensical DNS queries, for example:
> "settings-personal.desktop" and "settings-system.desktop".
> The DNS response is always:"No such name". Do tell! These appear
> especially when I click on things on the KDE menus. On my old CentOS 5
> box, on the same LAN, I see no such thing. I note that I have replaced
> the original /etc/hosts with my own. Might these have been resolved in
> the original?
>
> Thanks for your comments.
> Mike.

It appears that the peculiar URLs in the DNS queries are the
name of files that appear in the directory:
/usr/share/kde4/services/
I looked at a few with vi, and they appear to be lists of
words for concepts in numerous languages. Does this help in
determining why they should appear as URLs in DNS queries?

Thanks,
Mike.

Old 09-01-2011, 07:19 AM
John Hodrien

On Wed, 31 Aug 2011, m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:

> Does rpm -qi autofs show nothing? If so, I'm a tad surprised, since that
> takes care of not only nfs but also CD/DVDs and USB keys.

I don't believe that's true.

jh

Old 09-01-2011, 02:07 PM
"Michael D. Berger"

On Wed, 31 Aug 2011 18:22:42 +0000, Michael D. Berger wrote:

> On my new CentOS 6, KDE 4, running WireShark I see what appears to be
> frequent nonsensical DNS queries, for example:
> "settings-personal.desktop" and "settings-system.desktop".
> The DNS response is always:"No such name". Do tell! These appear
> especially when I click on things on the KDE menus. On my old CentOS 5
> box, on the same LAN, I see no such thing. I note that I have replaced
> the original /etc/hosts with my own. Might these have been resolved in
> the original?
>
> Thanks for your comments.
> Mike.

Please see: gmane.comp.kde.general, thread: "Bad DNS Query for
Date & Time" for additional information on this matter. The
problem has not, as yet, been solved.

Mike.