-   -   CentOS 6, KDE 4: bad DNS traffic (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/570700-centos-6-kde-4-bad-dns-traffic.html)

John Hodrien 08-31-2011 07:02 PM

CentOS 6, KDE 4: bad DNS traffic

On Wed, 31 Aug 2011, Michael D. Berger wrote:

> On my new CentOS 6, KDE 4, running WireShark I see what appears
> to be frequent nonsensical DNS queries, for example:
> "settings-personal.desktop" and "settings-system.desktop".
> The DNS response is always:"No such name". Do tell!
> These appear especially when I click on things on the KDE
> menus. On my old CentOS 5 box, on the same LAN, I see no
> such thing. I note that I have replaced the original
> /etc/hosts with my own. Might these have been resolved
> in the original?

Random stab in the dark...

Are you running the autofs with /net or similar configured?

jh

"Michael D. Berger" 08-31-2011 08:15 PM

On Wed, 31 Aug 2011 20:02:09 +0100, John Hodrien wrote:

> On Wed, 31 Aug 2011, Michael D. Berger wrote:
>
>> On my new CentOS 6, KDE 4, running WireShark I see what appears to be
>> frequent nonsensical DNS queries, for example:
>> "settings-personal.desktop" and "settings-system.desktop".
>> The DNS response is always:"No such name". Do tell! These appear
>> especially when I click on things on the KDE menus. On my old CentOS 5
>> box, on the same LAN, I see no such thing. I note that I have replaced
>> the original /etc/hosts with my own. Might these have been resolved in
>> the original?
>
> Random stab in the dark...
>
> Are you running the autofs with /net or similar configured?
>
> jh

How would I know? I get nothing from:
ps -ef | grep -i autofs
yum -y list installed | grep -i autofs

Mike.

08-31-2011 08:19 PM

Michael D. Berger wrote:
> On Wed, 31 Aug 2011 20:02:09 +0100, John Hodrien wrote:
>> On Wed, 31 Aug 2011, Michael D. Berger wrote:
>>
>>> On my new CentOS 6, KDE 4, running WireShark I see what appears to be
>>> frequent nonsensical DNS queries, for example:
>>> "settings-personal.desktop" and "settings-system.desktop".
>>> The DNS response is always:"No such name". Do tell! These appear
>>> especially when I click on things on the KDE menus. On my old CentOS 5
>>> box, on the same LAN, I see no such thing. I note that I have replaced
>>> the original /etc/hosts with my own. Might these have been resolved in
>>> the original?
>>
>> Random stab in the dark...
>>
>> Are you running the autofs with /net or similar configured?
>
> How would I know? I get nothing from:
> ps -ef | grep -i autofs
> yum -y list installed | grep -i autofs

Does rpm -qi autofs show nothing? If so, I'm a tad surprised, since that
takes care of not only nfs but also CD/DVDs and USB keys.

mark

"Michael D. Berger" 08-31-2011 09:46 PM

On Wed, 31 Aug 2011 16:19:05 -0400, m.roth-x6lchVBUigD1P9xLtpHBDw wrote:

> Michael D. Berger wrote:

>>> Random stab in the dark...
>>>
>>> Are you running the autofs with /net or similar configured?
>>
>> How would I know? I get nothing from: ps -ef | grep -i autofs
>> yum -y list installed | grep -i autofs
>
> Does rpm -qi autofs show nothing? If so, I'm a tad surprised, since that
> takes care of not only nfs but also CD/DVDs and USB keys.
>
> mark
Running:
rpm -qi autofs
shows: