Old 08-31-2011, 01:46 PM
Lamar Owen

Default OT: help with email list reading programs w/ best features to read the centos and other lists that can filter people etc

On Wednesday, August 31, 2011 09:25:06 AM m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
> Lamar Owen wrote:
> > On Wednesday, August 31, 2011 12:46:53 AM R - elists wrote:
> <snip>
> > While I use Kmail (which can do very powerful filtering based on a number
> <snip>
> So how is kmail these days?

Kmail beats the Dickens out of me sometimes.... A tale of two mailreaders.... 'It was the best of times, it was the worst of times...'

It's been better (in ways), and it's been worse (much worse). The Scalix integration quit working upon an upgrade to KDE4 (don't really miss it that much), and if you do a large and long search, be sure to do a short one before you quit kmail, as it will redo the search to populate the 'Searches' folder *every time you start* and not tell you that is what it is doing; it just feels like it has hung, for however long the search may take (and my mail store is, uh, 8.3GB currently) ...

At the KDE SC 4.6.x level, things are about as stable as they've ever been, once you get Akonadi and Nepomuk operable. But this is the primary reason I'm somewhat loathe to go back down to KDE 4.3.4 in EL 6; I've forgotten what was broken at that level, and I'm used to what is currently working in F14.... which is partly why I'll periodically pop up and ask if anyone has done a KDE 4.6.x repo for EL6...

I'm at the moment happy with 1.13.7 that ships with KDE SC 4.6.5. It's crashed the least of any kmail I've run, since a long time ago (I forget just when I went to kmail (from Netscape Communicator), but it was, IIRC, in KDE 1.x days). I've kept essentially the same mailstore the whole time; it is a melange of maildir and mbox, depending upon how old the folder is... :-)

Old 08-31-2011, 03:15 PM
"R - elists"

Christopher,

> It's not an email program but I think it has the best
> filtering capabilities of all - the brain.

umm, yeah, exactly, i want to use my brain to program certain peoples posts
from never reaching my eyeballs

arent they called threaded email readers?

i really didnt find much on the www yet maybe i should have been looking for
old style nntp type readers?

maybe that is what i need to check into

> Huh? What signal/noise ratio? I don't see any of the usual
> "can't be bother to read manuals/to use google"
> suspects...unless you're complaining about our most recent
> top poster...

obviously signal/noise is always relevant and your tolerance is different
than ours.

sometimes people on the list just get beligerant, drunk, and/or stupid and
need to be filtered.

- rh

Old 08-31-2011, 03:48 PM
"R - elists"

> But filters tend to be stupid as well. And once you are involved in
> a conversation you should have a certain responsibility to
> follow it to the bitter end. Filters mostly don't understand
> that (but gmail will push a reply to your own message into
> the 'important' view).

i hear ya Les

thing is, the term plonk from a most recent post reminded me what i am
looking for, ie killfile

...i just have to figure out how to best implement.

now, please dont get me wrong, ive made a mistake or three on lists, yet
gave apology.

i am suprised that more folks havent spoken up about favorite "threaded
email readers" or has everyone just gone to Thunderbird or other similar?

reason: some say changing subject or hijacking messes things up...

- rh