Old 08-30-2011, 12:56 PM
Marko Vojinovic

Default Some typical apps missing?

Hi everyone! :-)

I just installed CentOS 6 on one of my desktop machines, and yum now
tells me that some of my favorite apps are not present in any of the
repositories I configured. To name a few: ktorrent, kile, krusader,
pavucontrol, mplayerplug-in (or is it now gecko-mediaplayer), xine,
xmms, and so on... All these apps were readily available for C5, and I
used them happily.

I am mostly surprised with the absence of *any* torrent client, bar
the rtorrent (which doesn't have a man page and I have no idea how to
use it). Also kile, krusader and pavucontrol are quite basic and
common apps...

The configured repositories are: base, updates, extras, rpmforge,
elrepo, as reported by yum.

What am I missing?

I would also be grateful if anyone has a suggestion for a reasonable
(and available) substitute for any of these apps. I usually prefer
KDE4 apps, but will use anything that works. I found some (rtorrent,
mozilla-vlc, gnome-volume-control), but I am not exactly thrilled with
their quality, so I'm hoping someone has a better suggestion. Google
didn't want to be my friend this time, all hits were related to C5...
;-)

TIA, :-)
Marko

Old 08-30-2011, 01:04 PM
Peter Kjellström

On Tuesday, August 30, 2011 02:56:35 PM Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> Hi everyone! :-)
>
> I just installed CentOS 6 on one of my desktop machines, and yum now
> tells me that some of my favorite apps are not present in any of the
> repositories I configured. To name a few: ktorrent, kile, krusader,
> pavucontrol, mplayerplug-in (or is it now gecko-mediaplayer), xine,
> xmms, and so on... All these apps were readily available for C5, and I
> used them happily.
>
> I am mostly surprised with the absence of *any* torrent client, bar
> the rtorrent (which doesn't have a man page and I have no idea how to
> use it). Also kile, krusader and pavucontrol are quite basic and
> common apps...
>
> The configured repositories are: base, updates, extras, rpmforge,
> elrepo, as reported by yum.
>
> What am I missing?

Maybe you wanted EPEL not elrepo? EPEL has at least ktorrent.

/Peter

Old 08-30-2011, 01:09 PM
"b.j. mcclure"

On Tue, 2011-08-30 at 14:56 +0200, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> Hi everyone! :-)
>
> I just installed CentOS 6 on one of my desktop machines, and yum now
> tells me that some of my favorite apps are not present in any of the
> repositories I configured. To name a few: ktorrent, kile, krusader,
> pavucontrol, mplayerplug-in (or is it now gecko-mediaplayer), xine,
> xmms, and so on... All these apps were readily available for C5, and I
> used them happily.
>
> I am mostly surprised with the absence of *any* torrent client, bar
> the rtorrent (which doesn't have a man page and I have no idea how to
> use it). Also kile, krusader and pavucontrol are quite basic and
> common apps...
>
> The configured repositories are: base, updates, extras, rpmforge,
> elrepo, as reported by yum.
>
> What am I missing?
>
> I would also be grateful if anyone has a suggestion for a reasonable
> (and available) substitute for any of these apps. I usually prefer
> KDE4 apps, but will use anything that works. I found some (rtorrent,
> mozilla-vlc, gnome-volume-control), but I am not exactly thrilled with
> their quality, so I'm hoping someone has a better suggestion. Google
> didn't want to be my friend this time, all hits were related to C5...
> ;-)
>
> TIA, :-)
> Marko

I use Vuze for bittorrent. Used to be called Azureus. Download here:
http://azureus.sourceforge.net/download.php
HTH.

B.J.

CentOS Linux release 6.0 (Final)

Old 08-30-2011, 01:30 PM
wwp

Hello Marko,

On Tue, 30 Aug 2011 14:56:35 +0200 Marko Vojinovic <vvmarko@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone! :-)
>
> I just installed CentOS 6 on one of my desktop machines, and yum now
> tells me that some of my favorite apps are not present in any of the
> repositories I configured. To name a few: ktorrent, kile, krusader,
> pavucontrol, mplayerplug-in (or is it now gecko-mediaplayer), xine,
> xmms, and so on... All these apps were readily available for C5, and I
> used them happily.
>
> I am mostly surprised with the absence of *any* torrent client, bar
> the rtorrent (which doesn't have a man page and I have no idea how to
> use it). Also kile, krusader and pavucontrol are quite basic and
> common apps...
>
> The configured repositories are: base, updates, extras, rpmforge,
> elrepo, as reported by yum.
>
> What am I missing?
>
> I would also be grateful if anyone has a suggestion for a reasonable
> (and available) substitute for any of these apps. I usually prefer
> KDE4 apps, but will use anything that works. I found some (rtorrent,
> mozilla-vlc, gnome-volume-control), but I am not exactly thrilled with
> their quality, so I'm hoping someone has a better suggestion. Google
> didn't want to be my friend this time, all hits were related to C5...
> ;-)

As audacious is crashing at startup here, I've got back to xmms, found here:
http://puias.math.ias.edu/wiki/YumRepositories6
(apparently it's down, I guess it's temporary).

For torrents, I installed transmission from the sources.

I didn't succeed in making firefox to make use of mplayer, apparently
it uses totem, more or less efficiently.

For the sake of the archives, gnome-volume-control comes w/ the
gnome-media package.

You might need to check at atrpms repo for other software.

wwp

Old 08-30-2011, 02:38 PM
John Doe

On Tue, 2011-08-30 at 14:56 +0200, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> I just installed CentOS 6 on one of my desktop machines, and yum now
> tells me that some of my favorite apps are not present in any of the
> repositories I configured. To name a few: ktorrent, kile, krusader,
> pavucontrol, mplayerplug-in (or is it now gecko-mediaplayer), xine,
> xmms, and so on... All these apps were readily available for C5, and I
> used them happily.

Here are a few...

ctorrent.x86_64************************** 1.3.4-14.dnh3.3.2.el6******** epel***
gxine.x86_64***************************** 0.5.905-1.el6.rf************* rpmforge
gxine-mozplugin.x86_64******************* 0.5.11-20.el6**************** epel***
ktorrent.x86_64************************** 3.3.4-1.el6****************** epel***
mplayer.x86_64*************************** 1.0-0.46.svn20100703.el6.rf** rpmforge
rtorrent.x86_64************************** 0.8.9-1.el6.rf*************** rpmforge
smplayer.x86_64************************** 0.6.8-1.el6.rf*************** rpmforge
xine-lib.x86_64************************** 1.1.19-2.el6.rf************** rpmforge
xine-lib-devel.x86_64******************** 1.1.19-2.el6.rf************** rpmforge
xine-lib-extras.i686********************* 1.1.18.1-1.el6*************** epel***
xine-lib-extras.x86_64******************* 1.1.18.1-1.el6*************** epel***
xine-skins.noarch************************ 1.10-2.0.rf****************** rpmforge

Many of your apps don't seem to be readily available for C5; they were
from third party repos.* So maybe wait for these repos to catch-up...

JD

Old 08-30-2011, 02:44 PM
Les Mikesell

2011/8/30 Peter Kjellström <cap@nsc.liu.se>:
> On Tuesday, August 30, 2011 02:56:35 PM Marko Vojinovic wrote:
>> Hi everyone! :-)
>>
>> I just installed CentOS 6 on one of my desktop machines, and yum now
>> tells me that some of my favorite apps are not present in any of the
>> repositories I configured. To name a few: ktorrent, kile, krusader,
>> pavucontrol, mplayerplug-in (or is it now gecko-mediaplayer), xine,
>> xmms, and so on... All these apps were readily available for C5, and I
>> used them happily.
>>
>> I am mostly surprised with the absence of *any* torrent client, bar
>> the rtorrent (which doesn't have a man page and I have no idea how to
>> use it). Also kile, krusader and pavucontrol are quite basic and
>> common apps...
>>
>> The configured repositories are: base, updates, extras, rpmforge,
>> elrepo, as reported by yum.
>>
>> What am I missing?
>
> Maybe you wanted EPEL not elrepo? EPEL has at least ktorrent.

You probably definitely want EPEL, and also note that rpmforge has
been rearranged into several sections, some of which aren't enabled by
default in the stock rpmforge-release. This is also true in 5.x now
but you may have installed your apps before the change.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 08-30-2011, 02:50 PM

Les Mikesell wrote:
> 2011/8/30 Peter Kjellström <cap@nsc.liu.se>:
>> On Tuesday, August 30, 2011 02:56:35 PM Marko Vojinovic wrote:
>>> Hi everyone! :-)
>>>
>>> I just installed CentOS 6 on one of my desktop machines, and yum now
>>> tells me that some of my favorite apps are not present in any of the
>>> repositories I configured. To name a few: ktorrent, kile, krusader,
<snip>
> You probably definitely want EPEL, and also note that rpmforge has
> been rearranged into several sections, some of which aren't enabled by
> default in the stock rpmforge-release. This is also true in 5.x now
> but you may have installed your apps before the change.

And that rpmforge has been renamed to repoforge. Also, there's rpmfusion,
which is good.

mark

Old 09-01-2011, 07:16 AM
Marko Vojinovic

On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 4:50 PM, <m.roth@5-cent.us> wrote:
> Les Mikesell wrote:
> <snip>
>> You probably definitely want EPEL, and also note that rpmforge has
>> been rearranged into several sections, some of which aren't enabled by
>> default in the stock rpmforge-release. *This is also true in 5.x now
>> but you may have installed your apps before the change.
>
> And that rpmforge has been renamed to repoforge. Also, there's rpmfusion,
> which is good.

Thanks to everyone for suggestions. I configured EPEL, rpmfusion and
ATrpms (using the priorities plugin wisely :-) ), and I'll see what I
can dig up. Also, I guess that maybe it is just too early, and
repoforge will eventually get populated with everything relevant. Kile
and krusader are two main things that I'm still missing, but it's
nothing urgent anyway... ;-)

Thanks again to all!

Best, :-)
Marko

Old 10-08-2011, 12:35 PM
Ljubomir Ljubojevic

I have recompiled many missing apps for Desktop use.

You can find packages at http://rpms.plnet.rs/plnet-centos6-i386/ i
http://rpms.plnet.rs/plnet-centos6-x86_64/
Source RPMs are in http://rpms.plnet.rs/plnet-centos6-srpms/

That is not official repo, just my effort to have all desired
packages/apps I want on my Desktop. Most(almost all) packages should be
signed, and I am preparing release package for easy install, and some
organizing is due.

Most noteworthy packages are (at the moment):
Firefox 7.0.1
Thunderbird 7.0.1
VLC 1.1.11 EPEL friendly (from Fuduntu) - not yet fully tested
MythTV 0.24
Wine 1.3.24
Banshee 2.0.1
Krusader 2.3.0
gnome-netstatus-2.28.1 (missing network Gnome applet)
Tomboy 1.2.2
LTSP 5.1.95
Gammu 1.26 /Wammu
OBEX and Blueman packages
For list of all downloaded packages please take a look for your self.

Notices:
- It is not wise to use these repositories on production servers!
- Do not use them if you are not comfortable with (some) unsigned packages.
- Some packages might be unstable. Use it on your own risk.
- Packages from plnet-downloaded are put there from other repositories
or download sites, those who do not have their own repositories, for
easy installing and avoiding search-download-
install process. They are for now not regularly updated, but you are
welcome to infor me if one of packages has newer version.
- plnet-replace packages are newer (non-critical only) packages then
those in base repository.
- Almost all packages for now have "Packager" and other fields unchanged
from original srpms. This is planed for later.

For now, you can use this for yum (watch for broken lines):

[plnet-compiled]
name=Spec CentOS-$releasever - plnet-compiled - $releasever - $basearch
baseurl=http://rpms.plnet.rs/plnet-centos6-$basearch/RPMS.plnet-compiled/
gpgcheck=0
enabled=1
priority=2

[plnet-downloaded]
name=Spec CentOS-$releasever - plnet-downloaded - $releasever - $basearch
baseurl=http://rpms.plnet.rs/plnet-centos6-$basearch/RPMS.plnet-downloaded/
gpgcheck=0
enabled=1
priority=2

[plnet-releases]
name=Spec CentOS-$releasever - plnet-releases - $releasever - $basearch
baseurl=http://rpms.plnet.rs/plnet-centos6-$basearch/RPMS.plnet-releases/
gpgcheck=0
enabled=1
priority=1

[plnet-replace]
name=Spec CentOS-$releasever - plnet-replace - $releasever - $basearch
baseurl=http://rpms.plnet.rs/plnet-centos6-$basearch/RPMS.plnet-replace/
gpgcheck=0
enabled=0
priority=1

[plnet-test]
name=Spec CentOS-$releasever - plnet-test - $releasever - $basearch
baseurl=http://rpms.plnet.rs/plnet-centos6-$basearch/RPMS.plnet-test/
gpgcheck=0
enabled=0
priority=4