Old 08-29-2011, 11:36 PM
Scott Robbins

Default CentOS 6: wpa_supplicant, unexpected behavior

On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 10:35:18PM +0000, Michael D. Berger wrote:
> On my CentOS 6:
> chkconfig --list wpa_supplicant
> shows off at all levels, which is confirmed by examination of:
> /etc/init.d/wpa_supplicant
> but ps -ef shows the process running.
> Furthermore, repeated
> cd /etc/init.d/
> ./wpa_supplicant stop
> appears to succeed, but the process continues to run.
> These observations were made at levels 3 and 5.

Are you using NetworkManager? It probably starts wpa_supplicant. Have
you ever noticed, on a Gnome desktop, how you have to specifically
uncheck enable wireless?

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Angel: I'm weak. I've never been anything else. I wanted to lose
myself in you. I know it will cost me my soul, and part of me
didn't care. It's not the demon in me that needs killing, Buffy,
it's the man.

Old 08-30-2011, 12:55 AM
"Michael D. Berger"

On Mon, 29 Aug 2011 19:36:13 -0400, Scott Robbins wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 10:35:18PM +0000, Michael D. Berger wrote:
>> On my CentOS 6:
>> chkconfig --list wpa_supplicant
>> shows off at all levels, which is confirmed by examination of:
>> /etc/init.d/wpa_supplicant
>> but ps -ef shows the process running. Furthermore, repeated
>> cd /etc/init.d/
>> ./wpa_supplicant stop
>> appears to succeed, but the process continues to run. These
>> observations were made at levels 3 and 5.
>>

> Are you using NetworkManager? It probably starts wpa_supplicant. Have
> you ever noticed, on a Gnome desktop, how you have to specifically
> uncheck enable wireless?

Yes, I am using NetworkManager, and, as I forgot to mention, KDE.
But I see that NetworkManager starts at level 2.

(BTW, I also see that the scripts in /etc/init.d have a new format
for specifying start and stop levels.)

Mike.