-   -   mounting an ext3 filesystem "-o ro" (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/569517-mounting-ext3-filesystem-o-ro.html)

Philippe Naudin 08-29-2011 02:18 PM

mounting an ext3 filesystem "-o ro"

Hi,

I want to do something *bad* : to mount an already mounted ext3
partition.

Mounting "-o bind" is not an option, this partition is mounted by
different virtual machines. NFS is the right way to go, so I want
another one :-)

I have no problem mounting this partition read-only, but it seems
that actually it is not really read-only. From /var/log/messages :

Aug 29 11:26:43 xen02 kernel: EXT3-fs: INFO: recovery required on readonly filesystem.
Aug 29 11:26:43 xen02 kernel: EXT3-fs: write access will be enabled during recovery.
Aug 29 11:26:43 xen02 kernel: kjournald starting. Commit interval 5 seconds
Aug 29 11:26:43 xen02 kernel: EXT3-fs: recovery complete.
Aug 29 11:26:43 xen02 kernel: EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data mode.

This recovery is probably triggered by the file /.autofsck, but I
have not found how to get rid of this feature. Is there a way to
read an ext3 filesystem, completely disabling recovery and any
write operation ?

Thanks,

--
Philippe Naudin

Hakan Koseoglu 08-29-2011 02:23 PM

mounting an ext3 filesystem "-o ro"

On 29 August 2011 15:18, Philippe Naudin
<philippe.naudin@supagro.inra.fr> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to do something *bad* : to mount an already mounted ext3
> partition.
Use a clustering file system (i.e., ocfs2) instead.

> This recovery is probably triggered by the file /.autofsck, but I
> have not found how to get rid of this feature. Is there a way to
> read an ext3 filesystem, completely disabling recovery and any
> write operation ?
Mounting in ext2 will ignore the journalling but not recommended. In
any case you won't be able to mount a dirty ext3 filesystem as ext2.