Old 08-29-2011, 01:45 PM
wwp

Default External vfat devices show uppercase filenames, how to change defaults for GNOME desktop?

Hello there!

I've recently switched from Fedora 11 to CentOS6. Now my SD cards
(automatically mounted on plug) contents is displayed as UPPERCASE
filenames.

I well see in mount's man that vfat's shortname option can be set to
either lower, win95, winnt, mixed. OK, that's for entries in /etc/fstab
or when mounting manually.

I'd like to change the defaults for devices that automatically mount in
GNOME.. is this possible?

In gconf-editor, I don't see a storage/ subdir in system/..

Any hint?

wwp

Old 08-29-2011, 02:28 PM
wwp

Hello John,

On Mon, 29 Aug 2011 07:19:31 -0700 (PDT) John Doe <jdmls@yahoo.com> wrote:

> From: wwp <subscript@free.fr>
>
> > I've recently switched from Fedora 11 to CentOS6. Now my SD cards
> > (automatically mounted on plug) contents is displayed as UPPERCASE
> > filenames.
> > I well see in mount's man that vfat's shortname option can be set to
> > either lower, win95, winnt, mixed. OK, that's for entries in /etc/fstab
> > or when mounting manually.
> > I'd like to change the defaults for devices that automatically mount in
> > GNOME.. is this possible?
> > In gconf-editor, I don't see a storage/ subdir in system/..
> > Any hint?
>
> Still under 5.x but maybe try gconf-tool2...
> $ gconftool-2 -g /system/storage/default_options/vfat/mount_options
> $ gconftool-2 -s /system/storage/default_options/vfat/mount_options --list-type=string -t list [shortname=lower,uid=,utf8]

Hmm interesting hint. I tried for both my current user and as root, the
key was not existing yet, I wrote it. Unplugged device, replugged
devices, filenames are still UPPERcase :-.

wwp