Old 08-29-2011, 01:06 AM
ken

Default 6.0 Media problems

When I downloaded the iso for 6.0 install, K3b said the iso wouldn't fit
on the blank DVD.

So I downloaded and burned the LiveDVD. When I boot it, I get the blue
splash screen (it says "CentOS... Community Enterprise OS on the bottom,
logo to the right), but nothing else comes up. Hitting various keys
does nothing.

Downloaded and burned the Netinstall CD. It gives an error message that
it can't install because the machine's CPU doesn't have pae.

So is it the end of CentOS/RH for this machine? (I can't believe that.
One of the great things about Linux has always been that it'll run on
old hardware.) Or are these fixable problems? Or are there workarounds?

Or should I go for a different distribution?

--
War is a failure of the imagination.
--William Blake

Old 08-29-2011, 01:15 AM
Jorge Fábregas

On 08/28/2011 09:06 PM, ken wrote:
> When I downloaded the iso for 6.0 install, K3b said the iso wouldn't fit
> on the blank DVD.

Hi,

>From the 6.0 Release Notes here:

"The i386 DVD is just a bit too large to fit on normal single layer
DVD+R media. It can be burnt successfully on DVD-R or dual-layer media."

HTH,
Jorge

Old 08-29-2011, 01:17 AM
Always Learning

On Sun, 2011-08-28 at 21:06 -0400, ken wrote:

> When I downloaded the iso for 6.0 install, K3b said the iso wouldn't fit
> on the blank DVD.

I remember reading that there are two main DVD formats + and -. One has
(more?) error correction than the other and therefore everything may not
fit on that type of DVD. Centos 5.6 for X64 requires 2 DVDs.

Which version did you download ?

> So I downloaded and burned the LiveDVD. When I boot it, I get the blue
> splash screen (it says "CentOS... Community Enterprise OS on the bottom,
> logo to the right), but nothing else comes up. Hitting various keys
> does nothing.

Are you able to do a read integrity test of any of the DVDs ?

> Downloaded and burned the Netinstall CD. It gives an error message that
> it can't install because the machine's CPU doesn't have pae.

Recently someone wrote that PAE related to i386 but was not required for
x64. What CPU type is your target machine ?

> So is it the end of CentOS/RH for this machine? (I can't believe that.
> One of the great things about Linux has always been that it'll run on
> old hardware.) Or are these fixable problems? Or are there workarounds?

That used to be true but it is inevitable as 'modern' distributions get
more capable not all current distributions cater for older spec.
equipment. I hear there are other, non-Centos, distributions that do
cater for less technically advanced machines.

I'm waiting for Centos 6.1 before I try version 6.

> Or should I go for a different distribution?

Have you tried Scientific Linux ? It is another Red Hat clone closely(?)
related to Centos.

Paul.

Old 08-29-2011, 01:22 AM
ken

On 08/28/2011 09:15 PM Jorge Fábregas wrote:
> On 08/28/2011 09:06 PM, ken wrote:
>> When I downloaded the iso for 6.0 install, K3b said the iso wouldn't fit
>> on the blank DVD.
>
> Hi,
>
>>From the 6.0 Release Notes here:
>
> "The i386 DVD is just a bit too large to fit on normal single layer
> DVD+R media. It can be burnt successfully on DVD-R or dual-layer media."
>
> HTH,
> Jorge

Thanks, Jorge. That's what I suspected. Yeah, I have the DVD+R/W.

It would be nice if the download page mentioned that. Save people some
time and effort.

Old 08-29-2011, 02:33 AM
ken

On 08/28/2011 09:17 PM Always Learning wrote:
> On Sun, 2011-08-28 at 21:06 -0400, ken wrote:
>
>> When I downloaded the iso for 6.0 install, K3b said the iso wouldn't fit
>> on the blank DVD.
>
> I remember reading that there are two main DVD formats + and -. One has
> (more?) error correction than the other and therefore everything may not
> fit on that type of DVD. Centos 5.6 for X64 requires 2 DVDs.

Okay, that's the problem. Well, it shouldn't be a problem really, but
that's why I have it and others don't.

> Which version did you download ?

Yeah, it was the i386.

>> So I downloaded and burned the LiveDVD. When I boot it, I get the blue
>> splash screen (it says "CentOS... Community Enterprise OS on the bottom,
>> logo to the right), but nothing else comes up. Hitting various keys
>> does nothing.
>
> Are you able to do a read integrity test of any of the DVDs ?

The md5sum on the download checked out. I didn't verify the copy of the
burned DVD though. I burned the DVD from the CLI with growiso. I
couldn't think immediately how to do an md5sum on the DVD, so didn't. I
just googled for how to do this. The info I found wasn't helpful.

>> Downloaded and burned the Netinstall CD. It gives an error message that
>> it can't install because the machine's CPU doesn't have pae.
>
> Recently someone wrote that PAE related to i386 but was not required for
> x64. What CPU type is your target machine ?

Broadly speaking it's a pentium i686, but without pae. The fact that
this machine is excluded from RH/CentOS doesn't bode well for Linux.

>> So is it the end of CentOS/RH for this machine? (I can't believe that.
>> One of the great things about Linux has always been that it'll run on
>> old hardware.) Or are these fixable problems? Or are there workarounds?
>
> That used to be true but it is inevitable as 'modern' distributions get
> more capable not all current distributions cater for older spec.
> equipment. I hear there are other, non-Centos, distributions that do
> cater for less technically advanced machines.

Well, since I've got two or three other machines I'm either upgrading or
installing linux on, machines that are older than this one, I guess I'm
done with RH/CentOS.

> I'm waiting for Centos 6.1 before I try version 6.

Do you think hardware restrictions will be lessened in 6.1?

>> Or should I go for a different distribution?
>
> Have you tried Scientific Linux ? It is another Red Hat clone closely(?)
> related to Centos.

Thanks for the tip. I'll have a look.

Old 08-29-2011, 03:37 AM
Always Learning

On Sun, 2011-08-28 at 22:33 -0400, ken wrote:

> On 08/28/2011 09:17 PM Always Learning wrote:

> Broadly speaking it's a pentium i686, but without pae. The fact that
> this machine is excluded from RH/CentOS doesn't bode well for Linux.

The i686 is an i386 32 bit CPU and needs PAE to address more than 64 GB.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P6_%28microarchitecture%29 states about the
i686:-

"PAE and wider 36-bit address bus to support 64 GB of physical memory
(the linear address space of a process was still limited to 4 GB)."

> Well, since I've got two or three other machines I'm either upgrading or
> installing linux on, machines that are older than this one, I guess I'm
> done with RH/CentOS.

Is your use of a particular Intel CPU really to blame and not
necessarily Centos ?

You could stay with Centos 5.x and upgrade to 5.7 when it becomes
available. You do not have to upgrade to Centos 6.

If the motherboard is fairly modern, and has the correct type of CPU
socket, you may be able to replace the CPU for a PAE one.

> > I'm waiting for Centos 6.1 before I try version 6.
>
> Do you think hardware restrictions will be lessened in 6.1?

No. I think many initial teething problems will be solved and
installation bugs, if any, will be reduced or eliminated. I'm letting
the more daring and adventurous folk with lots of spare time discover
the problems.

When M$ introduced Windows 3, they had to create version 3.1 because of
the problems. Even that had bugs so Windows 3.11 was introduced. The
same with M$ DOS 6, the eventual stable version was 6.22. The same with
Windows 98. That had to be followed by 98 version 2 (Second Edition) and
then version 3 (Millennium Edition). Centos is a lot more reliable but
there are usually some odd problems with a major upgrade.

--
With best regards,

Paul.
England,
EU.

Old 08-29-2011, 03:38 AM
John R Pierce

On 08/28/11 7:33 PM, ken wrote:
>> Recently someone wrote that PAE related to i386 but was not required for
>> > x64. What CPU type is your target machine ?
> Broadly speaking it's a pentium i686, but without pae. The fact that
> this machine is excluded from RH/CentOS doesn't bode well for Linux.

its late 2011, the world is finally moving to 64bit as the primary
platform. this doesn't bode well for your old 32bit-only CPU. a
32bit only CPU can no longer be considered enterprise grade.

--
john r pierce N 37, W 122
santa cruz ca mid-left coast

Old 08-29-2011, 03:42 AM
John R Pierce

On 08/28/11 8:37 PM, Always Learning wrote:
> The i686 is an i386 32 bit CPU and needs PAE to address more than 64 GB.

it needs PAE to address more than 4GB

--
john r pierce N 37, W 122
santa cruz ca mid-left coast

Old 08-29-2011, 10:12 AM
ken

On 08/28/2011 11:37 PM Always Learning wrote:
> On Sun, 2011-08-28 at 22:33 -0400, ken wrote:
>
>> On 08/28/2011 09:17 PM Always Learning wrote:
>
>> Broadly speaking it's a pentium i686, but without pae. The fact that
>> this machine is excluded from RH/CentOS doesn't bode well for Linux.
>
> The i686 is an i386 32 bit CPU and needs PAE to address more than 64 GB.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P6_%28microarchitecture%29 states about the
> i686:-
>
> "PAE and wider 36-bit address bus to support 64 GB of physical memory
> (the linear address space of a process was still limited to 4 GB)."

Paul, this is good to read, but irrelevant. I'm currently using 2G of
RAM in this machine (less in the others), run several server apps as
well as client apps and 2G of RAM suffices quite nicely. Only token
amounts of swap are used. I could upgrade this box to 4G of RAM, but
what for? It's not needed. Nothing would run any faster or better. So
what's the point?

>> Well, since I've got two or three other machines I'm either upgrading or
>> installing linux on, machines that are older than this one, I guess I'm
>> done with RH/CentOS.
>
> Is your use of a particular Intel CPU really to blame and not
> necessarily Centos ?

Really...? "blame"...? If this CPU functions just fine on RH/CentOS 5.6
and other distributions, by what rationale can it be blamed for anything?

> You could stay with Centos 5.x and upgrade to 5.7 when it becomes
> available. You do not have to upgrade to Centos 6.
>
> If the motherboard is fairly modern, and has the correct type of CPU
> socket, you may be able to replace the CPU for a PAE one.

Of course I *could* possibly do this. To what end? As said, the apps
I'm using wouldn't run any better or faster. It's much easier and
simpler and faster and cheaper to download a different distribution.

>>> I'm waiting for Centos 6.1 before I try version 6.
>> Do you think hardware restrictions will be lessened in 6.1?
>
> No. I think many initial teething problems will be solved and
> installation bugs, if any, will be reduced or eliminated. I'm letting
> the more daring and adventurous folk with lots of spare time discover
> the problems.

Re: the question. I wouldn't think so either. It wouldn't make sense
to require pae for 6.0 but not for 6.1 and beyond.

That "spare time" factor... yeah. Upgrading CPUs doesn't fit into the
precious few spare time slots in my calendar.

> When M$ introduced Windows 3, they had to create version 3.1 because of
> the problems. Even that had bugs so Windows 3.11 was introduced. The
> same with M$ DOS 6, the eventual stable version was 6.22. The same with
> Windows 98. That had to be followed by 98 version 2 (Second Edition) and
> then version 3 (Millennium Edition). Centos is a lot more reliable but
> there are usually some odd problems with a major upgrade.

I hope we're not going to start rationalizing the presence of linux bugs
on the basis of Microsoft's record of failures.

Old 08-29-2011, 10:20 AM
ken

On 08/28/2011 11:38 PM John R Pierce wrote:
> On 08/28/11 7:33 PM, ken wrote:
>>> Recently someone wrote that PAE related to i386 but was not required for
>> Broadly speaking it's a pentium i686, but without pae. The fact that
>> this machine is excluded from RH/CentOS doesn't bode well for Linux.
>
> its late 2011, the world is finally moving to 64bit as the primary
> platform. this doesn't bode well for your old 32bit-only CPU. a
> 32bit only CPU can no longer be considered enterprise grade.

Snob appeal does work on a lot of people. Maybe in today's world it's a
character flaw, but I prefer actual reasons.