Old 08-30-2011, 02:10 PM
Karanbir Singh

Default 6.0 Media problems

hi Ken,

On 08/30/2011 03:04 PM, ken wrote:
> <http://www.centos.org/modules/tinycontent/index.php?id=15> would be one
> place. But, given the way search engines might index pages, people
> could bypass that page and land directly on the mirrors page,
> <http://www.centos.org/modules/tinycontent/index.php?id=13>, and so miss
> the warning altogether.

How about a Readme file ( please propose something ) that would go into
the ISOS directory on all machines ? eg:
http://centos.mirror.netelligent.ca/centos/6/isos/x86_64/

that might be a good place to have a url pointing at the release notes,
perhaps a few workds on what the sha sums are and how people can verify
them, and the various media formats ( livecd, dvd, cd, netinstall,
torrents ).

If you want to put something together, we could add that in right away.
And I'll add a note to the release process to make sure its updated,
maintained into the future releases.

> In addition, if it happens, per your other email in this thread, that
> it's possible to offer another CentOS distribution which doesn't require
> PAE, then we'd need a distinguishing name for those ISOs.

right, that would be a bit of a journey down the road. Step 1 would be
to find a solution to the PAE-needed issue, then make sure there is some
mechanism in place ( manual or otherwise ) to carry that work forward
into the updates, finally come up with a delivery ( install ) mechanism.
It should just be a case of an alternative installer with the
works-with-pae-absent kernel.

- KB

Old 08-30-2011, 02:52 PM
Rob Kampen

Karanbir Singh wrote:

hi Ken,

place. But, given the way search engines might index pages, people
could bypass that page and land directly on the mirrors page,
<http://www.centos.org/modules/tinycontent/index.php?id=13>, and so miss
the warning altogether.

How about a Readme file ( please propose something ) that would go into
the ISOS directory on all machines ? eg:
http://centos.mirror.netelligent.ca/centos/6/isos/x86_64/

Excellent idea - a simple README file with some basic how to knowledge.
I do not have enough knowledge to create this, I am more than happy to
edit and make it read well and have it flow logically.

Old 08-30-2011, 03:15 PM
ken

On 08/30/2011 10:10 AM Karanbir Singh wrote:
> hi Ken,
>
> On 08/30/2011 03:04 PM, ken wrote:
>> <http://www.centos.org/modules/tinycontent/index.php?id=15> would be one
>> place. But, given the way search engines might index pages, people
>> could bypass that page and land directly on the mirrors page,
>> <http://www.centos.org/modules/tinycontent/index.php?id=13>, and so miss
>> the warning altogether.
>
> How about a Readme file ( please propose something ) that would go into
> the ISOS directory on all machines ? eg:
> http://centos.mirror.netelligent.ca/centos/6/isos/x86_64/
>
> that might be a good place to have a url pointing at the release notes,
> perhaps a few workds on what the sha sums are and how people can verify
> them, and the various media formats ( livecd, dvd, cd, netinstall,
> torrents ).
>
> If you want to put something together, we could add that in right away.
> And I'll add a note to the release process to make sure its updated,
> maintained into the future releases.
>
>> In addition, if it happens, per your other email in this thread, that
>> it's possible to offer another CentOS distribution which doesn't require
>> PAE, then we'd need a distinguishing name for those ISOs.
>
> right, that would be a bit of a journey down the road. Step 1 would be
> to find a solution to the PAE-needed issue, then make sure there is some
> mechanism in place ( manual or otherwise ) to carry that work forward
> into the updates, finally come up with a delivery ( install ) mechanism.
> It should just be a case of an alternative installer with the
> works-with-pae-absent kernel.
>
> - KB

Hi, KB,

Congratulations. You parsed out my mixed up email. I somehow replied
to one issue in the wrong email. I shouldn't reply to email while
listening to news about hurricanes and floods and before I'm well into
my second cup of coffee.

As for the readme... or PRE-DOWNLOAD-README...

To burn this ISO to DVD, you need to use a DVD-RW drive and compatible
media. Due to a difference in formatting, this ISO will not fit on a
DVD+ disk.

In addition, CentOS 6.0 requires a PAE-capable CPU. This distribution
will not run otherwise. On Linux do "cat /proc/cpuinfo|grep ^flags" to
see if "pae" is mentioned there. If not, use a different distribution.

See the CentOS wiki for more information. <URL>

Others might have other language to include.

Do we have translators for users who prefer something non-English?

Old 08-30-2011, 06:59 PM
Rob Kampen

ken wrote:

[...]

It may be a DVD-R - does not need to be a RW

Old 08-30-2011, 07:20 PM
John Hodrien

On Tue, 30 Aug 2011, ken wrote:

> It's refreshing to receive an on-topic, intelligent and civil response,
> one worthy of replying to. And kudos for crafting this solution!

It's a bit faffy, and doing a yum install rather than an anaconda install
means there was a little bit more niggly setup left to do. But I'd have no
worries about doing it this way.

> Can I ask, how long have you been running this configuration?

Not ages, but you're not going to see any problems from this kernel change.

> And have you noticed in this time any problems related to the non-PAE
> kernel? Also, do you run server apps on your laptop, e.g.. apache, mysqld,
> sshd, cups, postfix, mailman? It might be easier just to send the output of
> "chkconfig --list |grep -w on"... to me privately if you have security
> concerns.

You can happily run anything you like, we're only talking about disabling PAE.
You're limiting yourself to ~3Gbytes of RAM, but given my laptop's hardware
only supports 1.25Gbytes maximum, that's not really a problem. Seriously,
it's going to be able to do exactly what any other non-PAE enabled
distribution would be able to do.

jh

Old 08-30-2011, 07:27 PM
John Hodrien

On Tue, 30 Aug 2011, Karanbir Singh wrote:

> On 08/30/2011 09:32 AM, John Hodrien wrote:
>> [epel-kernel-nonpae]
>> name=Non-PAE kernel build for el6/i686
>> baseurl=http://repos.fedorapeople.org/repos/lkundrak/kernel-nonpae/epel-$releasever/$basearch/
>
> this would be a fantastic resource to have in CentOS-6-Extras or Plus,
> so I went to look and that kernel has not had any updates since release.
> What are the chances that you might be willing to reach out and see if
> he is willing to do this on a more regular basis - and we can workout
> howto get CentOS running with it.

Would it not just be easier to add a kernel-nonpae target to your CentOS-plus
kernel rpm with CONFIG_X86_PAE=n? The kernel he's released has Xen disabled,
and the odd bit in modules that is compiled into the base kernel, but
otherwise looks the same. Does Xen require PAE?

jh

Old 08-30-2011, 10:31 PM
ken

On 08/30/2011 03:20 PM John Hodrien wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Aug 2011, ken wrote:

> It's a bit faffy, and doing a yum install rather than an anaconda install
> means there was a little bit more niggly setup left to do. But I'd have no
> worries about doing it this way.

Though I'm glad those days are gone, I started out in Linux downloading
tarballs over a 2400 baud modem onto 3.5" floppies, patching and
compiling kernels, and figuring out dependencies by puzzling out error
messages. A package management system was not even a future dream then.
So I wouldn't recoil from your workaround, but it's too long a story to
tell my customers and less techy folk who come to me for advice. Nor
would I tell them to ditch their "muttboxes" and bend over for the
hardware man when, as you've shown, and what a couple others here have
expressed in their absence of saying, none of that is necessary
technically. So while your craft wouldn't be a big deal personally (if
no one else does, you should sketch it out on the wiki or somewhere),
there are others to consider.

>> Can I ask, how long have you been running this configuration?
>
> Not ages, but you're not going to see any problems from this kernel change.
>
>> And have you noticed in this time any problems related to the non-PAE
>> kernel? Also, do you run server apps on your laptop, e.g.. apache, mysqld,
>> sshd, cups, postfix, mailman? ....
>
> You can happily run anything you like, we're only talking about disabling PAE.
> You're limiting yourself to ~3Gbytes of RAM, but given my laptop's hardware
> only supports 1.25Gbytes maximum, that's not really a problem. Seriously,
> it's going to be able to do exactly what any other non-PAE enabled
> distribution would be able to do.
>
> jh

Good to know. Thanks.