Old 08-29-2011, 10:30 AM
Peter Kjellström

Default 6.0 Media problems

On Monday, August 29, 2011 12:12:03 PM ken wrote:
> On 08/28/2011 11:37 PM Always Learning wrote:
> > On Sun, 2011-08-28 at 22:33 -0400, ken wrote:
> >> On 08/28/2011 09:17 PM Always Learning wrote:
> >> Well, since I've got two or three other machines I'm either upgrading or
> >> installing linux on, machines that are older than this one, I guess I'm
> >> done with RH/CentOS.
> >
> > Is your use of a particular Intel CPU really to blame and not
> > necessarily Centos ?
>
> Really...? "blame"...? If this CPU functions just fine on RH/CentOS 5.6
> and other distributions, by what rationale can it be blamed for anything?

Now could you please do what you should have done from the beginning and tell
us what CPU you're trying to install C6 on. Please.

All distributions make a choice when it comes to how old hardware to support.
Do you find it strange that C5 supports older hardware than C6?

/Peter

Old 08-29-2011, 11:43 AM
Always Learning

On Mon, 2011-08-29 at 06:12 -0400, ken wrote:

> I hope we're not going to start rationalizing the presence of linux
> bugs on the basis of Microsoft's record of failures.

Bugs, or "programme difficulties", are inevitable.

M$ success is promoting the standardisation of exchange of computer data
and promoting the wider acceptance of computers at home by people not
computer-knowledgeable. Despite that the future is open-source with the
option of paid-support.

How long before M$ gives away Windoze and charges for updates (bug
rectifications), anti-virus measures and 'hand-holding' support ?

* For $10 a month free technical support and advice 9 am to 5 pm;

* $20 a month for evenings up to 10 pm;

* $30 a month for 24 hours a day Mondays to Friday; and

* for complete peace of mind $40 a month for 24 hours service
7 days a week.

* Tired of waiting for a technical support person to answer
the phone ? Join our priority club for a speedy answer
- only $99 a month !

A lot of gratitude and praise is due to many unknown people who made
contributions large and small to the very significant, but inadequately
publicised, computer revolution of which Centos is a proud and worthy
participant.

--
With best regards,

Paul.
England,
EU.

Old 08-29-2011, 01:33 PM

Always Learning wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-08-29 at 06:12 -0400, ken wrote:
>
>> I hope we're not going to start rationalizing the presence of linux
>> bugs on the basis of Microsoft's record of failures.
>
> Bugs, or "programme difficulties", are inevitable.
>
> M$ success is promoting the standardisation of exchange of computer data
> and promoting the wider acceptance of computers at home by people not
> computer-knowledgeable. Despite that the future is open-source with the
> option of paid-support.
>
> How long before M$ gives away Windoze and charges for updates (bug
> rectifications), anti-virus measures and 'hand-holding' support ?
<snip of price list>

Ancient office funny (old when I started office jobs):
Answers: $0.10
Good Answers: $0.50
Correct Answers: $1.00
Dumb looks are still free

mark "except M$ *charges* for verbal dumb looks"

Old 08-29-2011, 01:38 PM
John R Pierce

On 08/29/11 3:20 AM, ken wrote:
> Snob appeal does work on a lot of people. Maybe in today's world it's a
> character flaw, but I prefer actual reasons.

how "passive-aggressive" of you. There's nothing 'snob' about it, it is
a simple technical and financial decision. RHEL targets SERVERS, and
every server made since about 1996 has 64bit capable processors, or at
least PAE support in 32bit mode. in 2011, 4GB of memory is $20 worth,
and without PAE or 64bit, you can't support more.

put very simply, your ?? year old muttbox is not within Red Hat's target
market for new versions of Enterprise Linux, they saw no justification
in having to generate and test a seperate kernel for low end hardware
older than 5+ years, and committing to updates for it for the next 6 years.

You can continue to run EL 5 on it for years to come. Or choose any
number of other Linux distributions which target down rev hardware.

--
john r pierce N 37, W 122
santa cruz ca mid-left coast

Old 08-30-2011, 08:32 AM
John Hodrien

On Mon, 29 Aug 2011, John R Pierce wrote:

> On 08/29/11 3:20 AM, ken wrote:
>
> You can continue to run EL 5 on it for years to come. Or choose any
> number of other Linux distributions which target down rev hardware.

Or just do what I did. Put an EL5 install on (which runs nicely). Download
the El6 live CD, and chroot into that (to use the newer yum). Using that yum,
do a yum install of EL6 into a new partition (I've previously used anaconda
for this, but this time I used yum). Install a kernel that doesn't need PAE:

[epel-kernel-nonpae]
name=Non-PAE kernel build for el6/i686
baseurl=http://repos.fedorapeople.org/repos/lkundrak/kernel-nonpae/epel-$releasever/$basearch/
enabled=1
skip_if_unavailable=1
gpgcheck=0

Twiddle the grub config, reboot, and be happy that your machine (in my case a
6 year old 1.1GHz Pentium M based laptop) runs CentOS 6 beautifully.

If you want to run linux on old hardware, you need to bring your own linux
knowledge to bear.

jh

Old 08-30-2011, 12:34 PM
ken

On 08/30/2011 04:32 AM John Hodrien wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Aug 2011, John R Pierce wrote:
>
>> On 08/29/11 3:20 AM, ken wrote:
>>
>> You can continue to run EL 5 on it for years to come. Or choose any
>> number of other Linux distributions which target down rev hardware.
>
> Or just do what I did. Put an EL5 install on (which runs nicely). Download
> the El6 live CD, and chroot into that (to use the newer yum). Using that yum,
> do a yum install of EL6 into a new partition (I've previously used anaconda
> for this, but this time I used yum). Install a kernel that doesn't need PAE:
>
> [epel-kernel-nonpae]
> name=Non-PAE kernel build for el6/i686
> baseurl=http://repos.fedorapeople.org/repos/lkundrak/kernel-nonpae/epel-$releasever/$basearch/
> enabled=1
> skip_if_unavailable=1
> gpgcheck=0
>
> Twiddle the grub config, reboot, and be happy that your machine (in my case a
> 6 year old 1.1GHz Pentium M based laptop) runs CentOS 6 beautifully.
>
> If you want to run linux on old hardware, you need to bring your own linux
> knowledge to bear.

John,

It's refreshing to receive an on-topic, intelligent and civil response,
one worthy of replying to. And kudos for crafting this solution!

Can I ask, how long have you been running this configuration? And have
you noticed in this time any problems related to the non-PAE kernel?
Also, do you run server apps on your laptop, e.g.. apache, mysqld, sshd,
cups, postfix, mailman? It might be easier just to send the output of
"chkconfig --list |grep -w on"... to me privately if you have security
concerns.

Thanks++,
ken

Old 08-30-2011, 12:48 PM
Karanbir Singh

On 08/29/2011 02:22 AM, ken wrote:
>> > From the 6.0 Release Notes here:
>>
>> "The i386 DVD is just a bit too large to fit on normal single layer
>> DVD+R media. It can be burnt successfully on DVD-R or dual-layer media."
>>
> Thanks, Jorge. That's what I suspected. Yeah, I have the DVD+R/W.
>
> It would be nice if the download page mentioned that. Save people some
> time and effort.

Where / which page would you have expected to see this ?

- KB

Old 08-30-2011, 12:52 PM
Karanbir Singh

On 08/30/2011 09:32 AM, John Hodrien wrote:
> [epel-kernel-nonpae]
> name=Non-PAE kernel build for el6/i686
> baseurl=http://repos.fedorapeople.org/repos/lkundrak/kernel-nonpae/epel-$releasever/$basearch/

this would be a fantastic resource to have in CentOS-6-Extras or Plus,
so I went to look and that kernel has not had any updates since release.
What are the chances that you might be willing to reach out and see if
he is willing to do this on a more regular basis - and we can workout
howto get CentOS running with it.

- KB

Old 08-30-2011, 01:13 PM
Mehdi MAACHE

Le 30/08/2011 14:48, Karanbir Singh a écrit :
>>> "The i386 DVD is just a bit too large to fit on normal single layer
>>> DVD+R media. It can be burnt successfully on DVD-R or dual-layer media."
>>>
>> Thanks, Jorge. That's what I suspected. Yeah, I have the DVD+R/W.
>>
>> It would be nice if the download page mentioned that. Save people some
>> time and effort.
>>
> Where / which page would you have expected to see this ?
>
> - KB

Here :

http://wiki.centos.org/Manuals/ReleaseNotes/CentOS6.0#head-710e17fe8ed8c98a1fe4faee4e11e2135df09fff

In "4. Known Issues" : "The i386 DVD is just a bit too large to fit on
normal single layer DVD+R media. It can be burnt successfully on DVD-R
or dual-layer media"

MM

Old 08-30-2011, 02:04 PM
ken

On 08/30/2011 08:48 AM Karanbir Singh wrote:
>>> "The i386 DVD is just a bit too large to fit on normal single layer
>>> DVD+R media. It can be burnt successfully on DVD-R or dual-layer media."
>>>
>> Thanks, Jorge. That's what I suspected. Yeah, I have the DVD+R/W.
>>
>> It would be nice if the download page mentioned that. Save people some
>> time and effort.
>>

> Where / which page would you have expected to see this ?
>
> - KB

Karanbir,

<http://www.centos.org/modules/tinycontent/index.php?id=15> would be one
place. But, given the way search engines might index pages, people
could bypass that page and land directly on the mirrors page,
<http://www.centos.org/modules/tinycontent/index.php?id=13>, and so miss
the warning altogether.

For this reason, and because it's the only sure-fire way to get the
warning to those who would need it, it would be best if the directory
name and/or the ISO names themselves contained the warning, e.g.,
CentOS-6_0-PAE-required-*-.iso.

In addition, if it happens, per your other email in this thread, that
it's possible to offer another CentOS distribution which doesn't require
PAE, then we'd need a distinguishing name for those ISOs.