-   -   CentOS 6.0 (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/569188-centos-6-0-a.html)

"Thomas Dukes" 08-28-2011 04:29 PM

CentOS 6.0

Hello,

Can anyone pls tell me if a ThinkServer TS130 with a E3-1225 Xeon processor
is compatible with CentOS 6.0? I would like to upgrade from 5.6 but my
hardware will not allow me to do so. I do not wish to buy something that is
incompatible as I already have that now.

The TS130 is replacing the TS200v which is RHEL 6.x certified. The TS130 has
an Intel mobo and uses the C206 chipset. I do not know the model number for
the mobo itself.

I have spent the last 45 minutes on the phone with Lenovo and talked with
'Peggy' seven different times before being disconnected.

TIA,

Eddie

Always Learning 08-28-2011 04:30 PM

CentOS 6.0

On Sun, 2011-08-28 at 12:29 -0400, Thomas Dukes wrote:

> Can anyone pls tell me if a ThinkServer TS130 with a E3-1225 Xeon processor
> is compatible with CentOS 6.0? I would like to upgrade from 5.6 but my
> hardware will not allow me to do so.

Intel
Quad-core
3.10 GHz
L2 Cache 1 MB
L3 Cache 6 MB
64-bit Processing
* Turbo Boost Technology
* Virtualization Technology
* Trusted Execution Technology
* Extended Memory 64 Technology
Platform: PC

Seems OK, what specific problems are you having ?

--
With best regards,

Paul.
England,
EU.

"Thomas Dukes" 08-28-2011 04:43 PM

CentOS 6.0

Sorry, I meant the hardware I have now is preventing me from upgrading to
6.0

I just want to make sure CentOS 6.0 would have the necessary drivers for the
on board video, ethernet, etc., for the TS130 before I make the purchase. I
just don't want to be in the same boat as I'm in now.

I have bought a PC in eight years so I just want to make sure its going to
run 6.0.

Thanks,

Eddie

William Warren 08-28-2011 05:28 PM

CentOS 6.0

Devin Reade 08-28-2011 05:45 PM

CentOS 6.0

It looks like the TS130 is a scaled down version of the TS430.
The RedHat hardware certification catalog shows the TS430 as
certified for 5.6 and 6, so it looks promising.

It looks like HP also has certified hardware on RHEL with the
C206 chipset.

Caveat Emptor of course. I have no direct or conclusive information
on the TS130.

Devin
--
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

"Timo Neuvonen" 08-28-2011 06:08 PM

CentOS 6.0

>> > Can anyone pls tell me if a ThinkServer TS130 with a E3-1225 Xeon
>> > processor is compatible with CentOS 6.0? I would like to
>> upgrade from
>> > 5.6 but my hardware will not allow me to do so.
>>
>> Intel
>> Quad-core
>> 3.10 GHz
>> L2 Cache 1 MB
>> L3 Cache 6 MB
>> 64-bit Processing
>> * Turbo Boost Technology
>> * Virtualization Technology
>> * Trusted Execution Technology
>> * Extended Memory 64 Technology
>> Platform: PC
>>
>> Seems OK, what specific problems are you having ?
>
> Sorry, I meant the hardware I have now is preventing me from upgrading to
> 6.0
>
> I just want to make sure CentOS 6.0 would have the necessary drivers for
> the
> on board video, ethernet, etc., for the TS130 before I make the purchase.

Not absolutely sure about this, but I think E3-series is very close to 2nd
generation i3/i5/i7.

A while ago I installed CentOS 6.0 to Acer 7550 laptop that uses integrated
Intel HD Graphics of i5 CPU.
All I got with 6.0 kernels was vesa 1024x768 resolution. I found out 6.1
shoud fix this. Since CentOS 6.1 wasn't out then, I installed kernel from
Scientific Linux 6.1 (another RHEL clone) and theafter I got very nice
graphics -and high-resolution console also in runlevel 3 to my CentOS 6
laptop.

So, I would say 6.0 doesn't support Intel graphics of that CPU, but 6.1
should do it. Don't know about network etc, but at least it fixes the
graphics -I guess that server uses integrated graphics since they've chosen
a CPU that has it.

--
TiN

"Thomas Dukes" 08-29-2011 12:41 AM

CentOS 6.0

Not like I'm spending my life savings or anything, but that's what I was
thinking as well. Still, I would like to make sure CentOS 6.x will install.

"Thomas Dukes" 08-29-2011 12:47 AM

CentOS 6.0

Graphics are the least concern as this will be a server not a workstation.
My eyesight can't much see more than 800x600 anyway.

But, thanks for your response, its much appreciated!