Old 08-28-2011, 01:52 PM
Timothy Murphy

Default Update to CentOS 6.0 without CD/DVD reader

I've had a disaster on my home network server;
the partition table on the disk containing / has become corrupted,
and testdisk has not enabled me to recover the table.
If anyone can help with this I should be grateful.
However, that is not what I am writing about.

I've installed a substitute box - and HP MicroServer -
which by a miracle has CentOS-5.6 installed on it.
Now I'm wondering what is the best way to install CentOS-6,
given that there is no CD/DVD driver on this machine.

I have access to the internet, so I can download the CD/DVD .
I know I could install through a USB stick;
I'm just wondering if there is a more direct route.

I should look this up, but I'm rather weary after installing dovecot,
httpd, etc, and thought I'd take a short cut by asking you gurus.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net

Old 08-28-2011, 02:11 PM
Always Learning

On Sun, 2011-08-28 at 14:52 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:

> I've had a disaster on my home network server;
> the partition table on the disk containing / has become corrupted,
> and testdisk has not enabled me to recover the table.
> If anyone can help with this I should be grateful.

Have you used testdisk to find and copy files to another partition ?

When using testdisk I found the best practise is NOT to attempt to
rewrite anything. Extracting as many files as possible off the bad
partition should be the priority.

--
With best regards,

Paul.
England,
EU.

Old 08-28-2011, 06:55 PM
John R Pierce

On 08/28/11 6:52 AM, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Now I'm wondering what is the best way to install CentOS-6,
> given that there is no CD/DVD driver on this machine.
>
> I have access to the internet, so I can download the CD/DVD .
> I know I could install through a USB stick;
> I'm just wondering if there is a more direct route.

A) PXE boot and do a network installation aka kickstart. This would,
of course, require another 'nix system on the LAN running DHCP, TFTP,
and NFS

B) boot a USB stick with the Netinstall image, and point it at a http
URL of the centos repository, which could be either a local mirror or
one on the internet somewhere as long as your internet is reasonably
fast and stable. I'd suggest doing a bare minimal install this way,
then adding other stuff post-install with yum.

--
john r pierce N 37, W 122
santa cruz ca mid-left coast

Old 08-28-2011, 10:49 PM
Les Mikesell

On Sun, Aug 28, 2011 at 1:55 PM, John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com> wrote:
> On 08/28/11 6:52 AM, Timothy Murphy wrote:
>> Now I'm wondering what is the best way to install CentOS-6,
>> given that there is no CD/DVD driver on this machine.
>>
>> I have access to the internet, so I can download the CD/DVD .
>> I know I could install through a USB stick;
>> I'm just wondering if there is a more direct route.
>
> A) PXE boot and do a network installation aka kickstart. * This would,
> of course, require another 'nix system on the LAN running DHCP, TFTP,
> and NFS
>
> B) boot a USB stick with the Netinstall image, and point it at a http
> URL of the centos repository, which could be either a local mirror or
> one on the internet somewhere as long as your internet is reasonably
> fast and stable. *I'd suggest doing a bare minimal install this way,
> then adding other stuff post-install with yum.

Or, boot the Netinstall image and do an NFS intall from your local copy.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 08-29-2011, 10:34 AM
John Doe

From: Timothy Murphy <gayleard@eircom.net>

> I've installed a substitute box - and HP MicroServer -
> which by a miracle has CentOS-5.6 installed on it.
> Now I'm wondering what is the best way to install CentOS-6,
> given that there is no CD/DVD driver on this machine.

If you have the management card, you could mount a virtual DVD and boot on it.
You could also add the setup grub entry to your grub, and put the ISO files on a local HD (that will not be overwritten).

JD

Old 08-29-2011, 10:36 AM
Timothy Murphy

Always Learning wrote:

>> I've had a disaster on my home network server;
>> the partition table on the disk containing / has become corrupted,
>> and testdisk has not enabled me to recover the table.
>> If anyone can help with this I should be grateful.
>
> Have you used testdisk to find and copy files to another partition ?

I didn't see an option on testdisk to find (and copy) files.
I only saw options to guess the correct partition table,
which in my case did not seem to work.

Actually, all the missing data is on extended partitions.
I think if I could find where /dev/sda4 begins
I might be able to determine where the logical partitions
inside /dev/sda4 start and end?

Old 08-29-2011, 10:42 AM
Timothy Murphy

John R Pierce wrote:

> On 08/28/11 6:52 AM, Timothy Murphy wrote:
>> Now I'm wondering what is the best way to install CentOS-6,
>> given that there is no CD/DVD driver on this machine.
>>
>> I have access to the internet, so I can download the CD/DVD .
>> I know I could install through a USB stick;
>> I'm just wondering if there is a more direct route.
>
> A) PXE boot and do a network installation aka kickstart. This would,
> of course, require another 'nix system on the LAN running DHCP, TFTP,
> and NFS

Thanks for the suggestions.
I've always found PXEboot extraordinarily difficult to use.
I think I succeeded on one occasion, and failed on many others.
I usually tried using cobbler, but as I said with little success.

> B) boot a USB stick with the Netinstall image, and point it at a http
> URL of the centos repository, which could be either a local mirror or
> one on the internet somewhere as long as your internet is reasonably
> fast and stable. I'd suggest doing a bare minimal install this way,
> then adding other stuff post-install with yum.

I guess this is probably the easiest solution.
I haven't downloaded CentOS-6 yet,
so I would have to download it anyway.
As you say, starting with a minimal download is probably best.

But I had hoped there was some simple way of abstracting vmlinux and initrd
from the CD or DVD image, and adding a stanza to grub.conf
to boot from those?

Old 08-29-2011, 10:47 AM
Timothy Murphy

Les Mikesell wrote:

>>> Now I'm wondering what is the best way to install CentOS-6,
>>> given that there is no CD/DVD driver on this machine.
>>>
>>> I have access to the internet, so I can download the CD/DVD .
>>> I know I could install through a USB stick;
>>> I'm just wondering if there is a more direct route.

> Or, boot the Netinstall image and do an NFS intall from your local copy.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Unfortunately I don't have a second desktop on my local LAN.
Will Netinstall allow me to use a partition on the same box
that it is running on?

Old 08-29-2011, 12:01 PM
ken

On 08/29/2011 06:36 AM Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Always Learning wrote:
>

>>> I've had a disaster on my home network server;
>>> the partition table on the disk containing / has become corrupted,
>>> and testdisk has not enabled me to recover the table.
>>> If anyone can help with this I should be grateful.
>> Have you used testdisk to find and copy files to another partition ?
>
> I didn't see an option on testdisk to find (and copy) files.
> I only saw options to guess the correct partition table,
> which in my case did not seem to work.
>
> Actually, all the missing data is on extended partitions.
> I think if I could find where /dev/sda4 begins
> I might be able to determine where the logical partitions
> inside /dev/sda4 start and end?

fdisk -l

Old 08-29-2011, 02:51 PM
Les Mikesell

On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 5:47 AM, Timothy Murphy <gayleard@eircom.net> wrote:

>> Or, boot the Netinstall image and do an NFS intall from your local copy.
>
> Thanks for the suggestion.
> Unfortunately I don't have a second desktop on my local LAN.
> Will Netinstall allow me to use a partition on the same box
> that it is running on?

I think there is a way to do that, but haven't you had enough trouble
yet that you see the wisdom in having a backup system or at least a
removable/external drive that you can use for backups and installs?

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com