Old 08-28-2011, 01:39 PM
Karanbir Singh

Default Off topic list for centos please?

On 08/28/2011 02:12 PM, Always Learning wrote:
>> The other issue that we have, which many other lists dont - is that
>> the membership churn is quite high. And without exception, we fail
>> quite comprehensively as a group to capitalise on that. W
>
> Please explain how, or why, the group should 'capitalise' on membership
> churn ? Churn, what the English once called 'turnover', means people
> departing. How could departees be 'capitalised on' ? Given a free 'I
> Love Centos' sticker as a memento ?

ok, to me Churn implies people joining and leaving, turnover is high. We
do have lots of people joining, but we have a lot of people leaving due
to the various reasons, its that we should address. We have the benefit
of lots of people coming in, lets capitalise on that to expand the user
base, the knowledge base and the general community at large. Rather than
fail in the way we do by driving away large numbers.

> I suggest an annual week long Centos event on every continent. For
> Europe, perhaps in sunny Belgium. To make it affordable for all it could
> be camping rather than expensive hotels and held in June, July or
> August.

heh, I've been to belgium 8 times in the last 5 years. Its never failed
to rain on me ( even snow one in a while ). A CentOS Conference would be
nice, its been brought up often. If you want to help make it happen -
come join the centos-promo list and lets see if we can do something.

- KB

Old 08-28-2011, 01:59 PM
Always Learning

On Sun, 2011-08-28 at 14:39 +0100, Karanbir Singh wrote:

> heh, I've been to belgium 8 times in the last 5 years. Its never
> failed to rain on me ( even snow one in a while ). A CentOS Conference
> would be nice, its been brought up often. If you want to help make it
> happen - come join the centos-promo list and lets see if we can do
> something.

You, purposely ?, omitted the time of the year when it rained :-)
Snow is unlikely in June, July and August in the northern hemisphere.

Yes, let us make it happen in 2012 when the streets of London are
grid-locked (that's American for jammed) with Olympic traffic and parts
of London grind to a halt. A welcome and refreshing break, good weather,
stimulating thoughts and learning and discovering new things plus the
tasty Belgium chips (USA = fries) and beer.

Promo here I come or should that be in Belgium Dutch (Flemish)

Ik ben op de weg naar Promo, bijna.

--
With best regards,

Paul.
England,
EU.

Old 08-28-2011, 03:27 PM
Keith Roberts

On Sun, 28 Aug 2011, Karanbir Singh wrote:

> From: Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org>
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] Off topic list for centos please?
>
> On 08/28/2011 02:12 PM, Always Learning wrote:
>>> The other issue that we have, which many other lists dont - is that
>>> the membership churn is quite high. And without exception, we fail
>>> quite comprehensively as a group to capitalise on that. W
>>
>> Please explain how, or why, the group should 'capitalise' on membership
>> churn ? Churn, what the English once called 'turnover', means people
>> departing. How could departees be 'capitalised on' ? Given a free 'I
>> Love Centos' sticker as a memento ?
>
> ok, to me Churn implies people joining and leaving, turnover is high. We
> do have lots of people joining, but we have a lot of people leaving due
> to the various reasons, its that we should address. We have the benefit
> of lots of people coming in, lets capitalise on that to expand the user
> base, the knowledge base and the general community at large. Rather than
> fail in the way we do by driving away large numbers.

Well I've been on *many* mailing lists, and there's no way I
could keep on them all at the same time

Apache, MySQL, SQLite, PHP install, Alpine, plus others. So
my reasons to unsub from the list, would be to reduce the
number of mails coming to my inbox each day. A classic
example would be if I was moving house - get off as many
lists as possible to reduce the backlog of emails for me to
wade through after the move.

Kind Regards,

Keith Roberts

Websites:
http://www.karsites.net
http://www.php-debuggers.net
http://www.raised-from-the-dead.org.uk

TMDA [http://tmda.net]

Old 08-28-2011, 04:29 PM
Les Mikesell

On Sun, Aug 28, 2011 at 7:58 AM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org> wrote:

> I didnt imply holding postings back for moderation - but more along the
> lines of creating an identity for the list, and asking people to shift
> conversations to better suite the audience on there. And in those ways
> the -devel and -docs list are much more focused than the generic list here.

I think the missing piece is something like an EL-admin list. That
is, one where people could discuss things that are common issues on
distributions based on RHEL and with access to the same set of 3rd
party package repositories. That's not exactly Centos-specific, but
Centos users are probably the largest single collection with the most
experience, so the questions come up here - and sometimes it isn't
obvious at the start whether the problem relates to the distribution
packaging or an application.

The usual advice here for application-related issues is to go to the
application's own list, but there the first and sometimes only
response you will get is to 'upgrade to current' before discussing any
problems. And that is seldom the right advice for EL-type distro
users. Plus, there are often several different applications that can
be used for any purpose and choosing the right one based on others'
experiences should be the first step.

In any case, whether it should be managed by the Centos group or not,
users need a list where those questions aren't met with hostility and
the most likely response is a pointer to an appropriate packaged
application version (since most common problems have already been
solved somewhere).

I start with the view that the policy restrictions that make 3rd party
package repositories necessary and not referenced in the base distro
_are_ a Centos problem, even if inherited from upstream, so discussing
the workarounds here should be on topic, even if not Centos-specific.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 08-29-2011, 05:26 PM
Rajagopal Swaminathan

Greetings,

On Sun, Aug 28, 2011 at 9:59 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 28, 2011 at 7:58 AM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org> wrote:
>>
>> I didnt imply holding postings back for moderation
>
> I start with the view that the policy restrictions that make 3rd party
> package repositories necessary and not referenced in the base distro
> _are_ a Centos problem, even if inherited from upstream, so discussing
> the workarounds here should be on topic, even if not Centos-specific.
>
> --
> *Les Mikesell
> * *lesmikesell@gmail.com

+1

Though I have not not contributed to this lisy much, This is the
primary email-ID where people learn I direct to most people in intent
to become RH* certified.

It has helped them much.

So be it.

Long live centos at centos.org

Rajagopal

Old 08-30-2011, 02:29 AM
Christopher Chan

On Sunday, August 28, 2011 09:59 PM, Always Learning wrote:

> On Sun, 2011-08-28 at 14:39 +0100, Karanbir Singh wrote:
>
>> heh, I've been to belgium 8 times in the last 5 years. Its never
>> failed to rain on me ( even snow one in a while ). A CentOS Conference
>> would be nice, its been brought up often. If you want to help make it
>> happen - come join the centos-promo list and lets see if we can do
>> something.
>
> You, purposely ?, omitted the time of the year when it rained :-)
> Snow is unlikely in June, July and August in the northern hemisphere.

Maybe he meant hail