Old 08-27-2011, 02:46 AM
John R Pierce

Default ImageMagick : Centos GUI ?

On 08/26/11 7:22 PM, Always Learning wrote:
> http://www.imagemagick.org/
>

> Does anyone have suggestions for a GUI which works for Centos 5.6 ?
> In production I run the command line program from PHP with 'exec'.

imagemagick is a batch oriented utility. putting a gui wrapper on a
batch program inevitably ends up with something clunky and not usable.

for GUI image editing, you want to use something interactive like Gimp.

--
john r pierce N 37, W 122
santa cruz ca mid-left coast

Old 08-27-2011, 02:50 AM
Always Learning

On Fri, 2011-08-26 at 19:46 -0700, John R Pierce wrote:

> imagemagick is a batch oriented utility. putting a gui wrapper on a
> batch program inevitably ends up with something clunky and not usable.
>
> for GUI image editing, you want to use something interactive like Gimp.

I wanted to explore all the options and see the effects in a GUI
application rather than laboriously type-in the parameters on the
command line then double-click on the latest photograph to see the
effects.

Paul.

Old 08-27-2011, 04:12 AM
John R Pierce

On 08/26/11 7:50 PM, Always Learning wrote:
> I wanted to explore all the options and see the effects in a GUI
> application rather than laboriously type-in the parameters on the
> command line then double-click on the latest photograph to see the
> effects.

but there's a nearly infinite number of possible combinations of the
options, and the order you specify transforms can have an effect on the
output, how would you represent this in a GUI ?

--
john r pierce N 37, W 122
santa cruz ca mid-left coast

Old 08-27-2011, 04:34 AM
Scott Robbins

On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 09:12:28PM -0700, John R Pierce wrote:
> On 08/26/11 7:50 PM, Always Learning wrote:
> > I wanted to explore all the options and see the effects in a GUI
> > application rather than laboriously type-in the parameters on the
> > command line then double-click on the latest photograph to see the
> > effects.

Two possibilities come to mind. One, the display command, also part of
the ImageMagick suite will display the picture. If you click on said
picture, a menu pops up. In that menu are many options.

Second possibility, type in the commands and put all your output into
one directory. When you've made your different pictures, install feh
with yum install feh.

Then, you can type feh <directory_name> and hit the n (as in next) key.
This will go through the pictures, showing a new one each time you hit
the next key.

The real advantage of convert and other commands is the fact that they
are typed commands. For example, at an old job, a graphic artist was
given a bunch of pictures. She had to resize them, often dozens at a
time, and the only way she knew how to do it was in photoshop, one by
one. Now _that_ was laborious.

When she mentioned it to me, I had her drop them in a directory on a
server and I would run a script to resize them.

Anyway, good luck with it. The whole ImageMagick suite is extremely
userful.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Angel: I'm weak. I've never been anything else. I wanted to lose
myself in you. I know it will cost me my soul, and part of me
didn't care. It's not the demon in me that needs killing, Buffy,
it's the man.

Old 08-27-2011, 05:28 AM
John R Pierce

On 08/26/11 9:34 PM, Scott Robbins wrote:
> The real advantage of convert and other commands is the fact that they
> are typed commands. For example, at an old job, a graphic artist was
> given a bunch of pictures. She had to resize them, often dozens at a
> time, and the only way she knew how to do it was in photoshop, one by
> one. Now_that_ was laborious.
>
> When she mentioned it to me, I had her drop them in a directory on a
> server and I would run a script to resize them.

photoshop has a very powerful macro and batch facility. you can
interactively create a complex series of operations as a macro, then run
it on a bunch of files

but thats neither here nor there. certainly not CentOS related.

--
john r pierce N 37, W 122
santa cruz ca mid-left coast

Old 08-27-2011, 11:51 AM
Robert Heller

> I accidentally discovered 'convert'. It is a command line utility.
> Changing a file from png to gif works like this
>
> convert aaa.png aaa.gif
>
> Amazingly simple, powerful and effective.
>
> I've since discovered it has an amazing list of options
>
> convert --help
>
> a manual
>
> file:///usr/share/doc/ImageMagick-6.2.8/www/convert.html
>
> and a web site
>
> http://www.imagemagick.org/
>

> Does anyone have suggestions for a GUI which works for Centos 5.6 ?
> In production I run the command line program from PHP with 'exec'.

ImageMagick includes its own GUI:

man display

And see:

man ImageMagick

for a complete list of ImageMagick programs.

The GUI is rather basic -- it is not meant as a anything like a
replacement for the likes of GIMP or xv or any of the other other image
display and manipulation programs out there. ImageMagick is meant to
be a *CLI* workhorse.

Old 08-27-2011, 12:05 PM
Always Learning

On Sat, 2011-08-27 at 07:51 -0400, Robert Heller wrote:

> ImageMagick includes its own GUI:
>
> man display
>
> And see:
>
> man ImageMagick
>
> for a complete list of ImageMagick programs.
>
> The GUI is rather basic -- it is not meant as a anything like a
> replacement for the likes of GIMP or xv or any of the other other
> image display and manipulation programs out there. ImageMagick
> is meant to be a *CLI* workhorse.

Thank you for mentioning Display ... a friendly wizard has appeared
inviting me to experiment.

Previously I tried

man convert

but your suggestion of

man ImageMagick

gives a lot more information.

I use IM as an extremely useful CLI 'workhorse' via PHP Exec. With so
many possibilities, it is very time consuming manually trying the
effects from the command line interface.

My most recent achievement was to extract and superimpose the Exif date
and time.

Paul.

Old 08-27-2011, 12:11 PM
Always Learning

On Fri, 2011-08-26 at 21:12 -0700, John R Pierce wrote:

> but there's a nearly infinite number of possible combinations of the
> options, and the order you specify transforms can have an effect on the
> output, how would you represent this in a GUI ?

I am not writing a GUI for it. However a useful GUI could show the
effects of making simple changes - perhaps one change at a time - not
multiple changes. This would show new users what commands actually do
and the relevant CLI instructions.

You are correct about the order of commands altering the output. The
commands are performed sequentially, left to right. It is impressive
software.

--
With best regards,

Paul.
England,
EU.

Old 08-28-2011, 04:10 AM
hadi motamedi

On 8/27/11, Always Learning <centos@u61.u22.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 2011-08-26 at 21:12 -0700, John R Pierce wrote:
>
>> but there's a nearly infinite number of possible combinations of the
>> options, and the order you specify transforms can have an effect on the
>> output, how would you represent this in a GUI ?
>
> I am not writing a GUI for it. However a useful GUI could show the
> effects of making simple changes - perhaps one change at a time - not
> multiple changes. This would show new users what commands actually do
> and the relevant CLI instructions.
>
> You are correct about the order of commands altering the output. The
> commands are performed sequentially, left to right. It is impressive
> software.
>

> --
> With best regards,
>
> Paul.
> England,
> EU.

Sorry. Do you mean having a complete image processing toolbox ,like
MATLAB image processing toolbox, on centos? Do we have such a powerful
tool on centos?

Old 08-28-2011, 09:52 AM
hadi motamedi

On 8/27/11, Always Learning <centos@u61.u22.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 2011-08-26 at 21:12 -0700, John R Pierce wrote:
>
>> but there's a nearly infinite number of possible combinations of the
>> options, and the order you specify transforms can have an effect on the
>> output, how would you represent this in a GUI ?
>
> I am not writing a GUI for it. However a useful GUI could show the
> effects of making simple changes - perhaps one change at a time - not
> multiple changes. This would show new users what commands actually do
> and the relevant CLI instructions.
>
> You are correct about the order of commands altering the output. The
> commands are performed sequentially, left to right. It is impressive
> software.
>

> --
> With best regards,
>
> Paul.
> England,
> EU.

I have experience working with MATLAB image processing toolbox. I
found GIMP very powerful ,especially in its tools for 'selecting image
foreground/background' that is not so simply available even in MATLAB
toolbox. But unfortunately, my centos 5.6 built-in GIMP is too old
(GIMP 2.2) that does not have these new tools. I didn't find any
straightforward procedure on how to migrate to GIMP 2.4/2.6 . Don't
you ?