Old 08-29-2011, 06:34 PM
Robert Heller

Default ImageMagick : Centos GUI ?

> >> Because you didn't install it. Please at least attempt to check these things
> >> out before you run crying to the list....
> >>

> > Sorry . You mean installing its rpm packages from the centos 6 install
> > cd via 'rpm -Uvh *' ?
>
> You almost always want yum to resolve package dependencies for you
> instead of executing rpm directly for installs or updates. Rpm will
> tell you about the dependencies but not do anything else helpful like
> finding and installing the needed libraries.

And you really, really don't what to install *every* RPM on the install
CD/DVD. In some cases there are 'mutually exclusive' packages (or
pairs of packages where installing both makes no sense, like more than
one SMTP daemon, etc.). Most of the time installing *both* mysql AND
postgresql makes no sense -- you can do it and sometimes it is needful and
proper to have two (or even more) database servers running at the same
time, just most of the time most people are not going to do that. OTOH
it can be useful to have a selection of PDF viewers or text editors.

Old 08-30-2011, 03:49 AM
hadi motamedi

Old 08-30-2011, 04:36 AM
Les Mikesell

On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 10:49 PM, hadi motamedi <motamedi24@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Sorry. I asked and it seems that the GIMP new features just come with
>>> centos 6 .
>>
>> Have you got GIMP in your Centos 6 ?
>>
> Sorry. My centos 6.0 does not come up with GIMP as built-in . I just
> see its rpm on the install cd.

You do understand that it is possible (and easy) to install and update
software over the internet, don't you?

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 08-30-2011, 04:38 AM
John R Pierce

On 08/29/11 8:49 PM, hadi motamedi wrote:
> Sorry. My centos 6.0 does not come up with GIMP as built-in . I just
> see its rpm on the install cd.

so....

# yum install gimp

same as any other package.

CentOS6, I've noticed, installs a LOT less junk on the default installs.

--
john r pierce N 37, W 122
santa cruz ca mid-left coast

Old 08-30-2011, 05:45 AM