Old 08-26-2011, 06:54 PM

Default was, Cent OS 6 freezing up, is flash danger

Speaking of flash bugs, did anyone read slashdot today? They've got a
story on *finally* finding the exact vector of the RSA intrusion: someone
at the parent co. got an attached .xls file, and in the spreadsheet was an
embedded flash video that actually used a known vulnerability to install
malware.

As the guy in the original story asked, why would you want to embed a
flash video in a freakin' spreadsheet?

Flash is dangerous. Treat it that way. I've got noscript, and the only
flash I see are ones *I* explicitly choose to watch.

mark

Old 08-26-2011, 06:57 PM
Always Learning

On Fri, 2011-08-26 at 14:54 -0400, m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:

> Flash is dangerous. Treat it that way. I've got noscript, and the only
> flash I see are ones *I* explicitly choose to watch.

Yep. We have always been 100% Flash free. We thought it dangerous years
ago but 99.9% of people seem desperate to use it. Nice to know we we
*right*.

Paul.

Old 08-26-2011, 07:03 PM
Lamar Owen

On Friday, August 26, 2011 02:54:11 PM m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
> As the guy in the original story asked, why would you want to embed a
> flash video in a freakin' spreadsheet?

Intriguing.

As to why, well, probably for the same or similar reasons as you'd embed into a powerpoint presentation. I can see some utility in video cells in a spreadsheet for certain things. I know, it's alien to the 'unix way' that we all know and love, but businesses like to have packaged 'things' that just have everything you need in them. Embedded app data inside other apps files is a seriously common technique in business; and it's fairly old tech, at least dating to OLE way back when. Once to can embed a generic OLE object, there will be a user out there that starts thinking up wierd and wonderful ways of presenting data with such embedding.

Instead of a 'notes' cell documenting the reason for, say, a manufacturing line failure or success you could have a video documenting same, and all within the spreadsheet. Yeah, I wouldn't do that, but I know businesspeople who would in a heartbeat.

Old 08-26-2011, 08:07 PM

Always Learning wrote:

> On Fri, 2011-08-26 at 14:54 -0400, m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
>
>> Flash is dangerous. Treat it that way. I've got noscript, and the only
>> flash I see are ones *I* explicitly choose to watch.
>
> Yep. We have always been 100% Flash free. We thought it dangerous years
> ago but 99.9% of people seem desperate to use it. Nice to know we we
> *right*.

Oh, hey, then there's two of my favorite rants: flash and HR depts. A
couple of years ago, when I was jobhunting, there was one very large
corporation whose website had a *video* of some HR person telling you
about their "hot jobs", while you were trying to search. Then there was
the one, a couple years before, that had a flash video ->ON THE RESUME
SUBMISSION FORM<-....

mark