Old 08-25-2011, 07:42 PM
Keith Roberts

Default Centos 6: howto install and run KDE

On Thu, 25 Aug 2011, Michael D. Berger wrote:

> To: centos@centos.org
> From: Michael D. Berger <m_d_berger_1900@yahoo.com>
> Subject: [CentOS] Centos 6: howto install and run KDE
>
> On my laptop, I have not been able to get KDE to run; I
> always get gnome. I installed selecting KDE, and I tried
> yum groupinstall, which appeared to work, but I still get
> gnome running. BTW, I boot to level 3, and run startx.

Hello Michael. That's what I do - boot to runlevel 3, then
run startx. I use switchdesk to choose between running
Gnome, KDE, or XFCE. Just pass the desktop name as a
parameter to switchdesk and then run startx, to start that
chosen desktop.

Name : switchdesk
Arch : noarch
Version : 4.0.8
Release : 6
Size : 7.6 k
Repo : installed
users to easily
: switch between various desktop environments
that they have
: installed. The tool includes support for KDE,
GNOME, XFce4 and
: twm.
:
: Support for different environments on different
computers is
: available, as well as support for setting a
global default
: environment.
:
: Install switchdesk if you need a tool for
switching between
: desktop environments.

Kind Regards,

Keith Roberts

Websites:
http://www.karsites.net
http://www.php-debuggers.net
http://www.raised-from-the-dead.org.uk

TMDA [http://tmda.net]

Old 08-26-2011, 04:19 PM
Anne Wilson

On Thursday 25 Aug 2011 Michael D. Berger wrote:

> On my laptop, I have not been able to get KDE to run; I

> always get gnome. I installed selecting KDE, and I tried

> yum groupinstall, which appeared to work, but I still get

> gnome running. BTW, I boot to level 3, and run startx.

The session you get should default to what you used last. The problem is that if that was gnome, the way to switch is not obvious. Try this.

On the login screen put in your username but not your password.

Look carefully at the bottom of the window - you should find that one of the icons there allows you to change your session type. It is not visible until you have entered your username.

Once you have selected KDE you can add your password and continue.

Anne