Old 08-25-2011, 07:09 PM
Mike VanHorn

Default updating 5.6 but not going to 6.0

I'm confused as to how to install updates for CentOS 5.6 without upgrading
to 6.0. When I do a "yum check-updates", the new *-release packages for
6.0 are listed, so I don't think I want to do a simply "yum update".

Is there a way to update 5.6 without going to 6.0?

---
Mike VanHorn
Senior Computer Systems Administrator
College of Engineering and Computer Science
Wright State University
265 Russ Engineering Center
937-775-5157
michael.vanhorn@wright.edu
http://www.engineering.wright.edu/~mvanhorn/

Old 08-25-2011, 07:17 PM
John R Pierce

On 08/25/11 12:09 PM, Mike VanHorn wrote:
> I'm confused as to how to install updates for CentOS 5.6 without upgrading
> to 6.0. When I do a "yum check-updates", the new *-release packages for
> 6.0 are listed, so I don't think I want to do a simply "yum update".
>
> Is there a way to update 5.6 without going to 6.0?

somethign is hosed in your yum.repos.d or something... it should not be
installing a 6.0 -release package

--
john r pierce N 37, W 122
santa cruz ca mid-left coast

Old 08-26-2011, 01:58 PM
Peter Kjellström

On Thursday, August 25, 2011 09:17:39 PM John R Pierce wrote:
> On 08/25/11 12:09 PM, Mike VanHorn wrote:
> > I'm confused as to how to install updates for CentOS 5.6 without
> > upgrading to 6.0. When I do a "yum check-updates", the new *-release
> > packages for 6.0 are listed, so I don't think I want to do a simply "yum
> > update".
> >
> > Is there a way to update 5.6 without going to 6.0?
>
> somethign is hosed in your yum.repos.d or something... it should not be
> installing a 6.0 -release package

Agreed. CentOS-5.6 will only upgrade to 5.7, 5.8, ...

6.0 will in a similar fashion become 6.1, 6.2, ...

If you have a system where yum wants to install the CentOS-6 centos-release
then either the distribution network is horribly messed up or you've got an
incorrectly modified local yum configuration. My guess is on the latter.

/Peter