Old 08-25-2011, 01:22 PM
"Michael D. Berger"

Default CentOS 6 KDE: remove default icons

On my newly installed CentOS 6 I am running KDE (I think; I selected it
in the setup, but how would I know?). It has three default icons:
Computer; Root's Home; Trash. I do not see them in /root/Desktop.

How can I remove them?

Thanks,
Mike.

Old 08-25-2011, 03:00 PM
John Doe

From: Michael D. Berger <m_d_berger_1900@yahoo.com>

> On my newly installed CentOS 6 I am running KDE (I think; I selected it
> in the setup, but how would I know?).

Only God would know...

> It has three default icons:
> Computer; Root's Home; Trash.* I do not see them in /root/Desktop.
> How can I remove them?

Did you go look into the Desktop controls...?
There must be something like "Show icons on desktop" somewhere...
Or you could maybe google for something like: "kde hide desktop icons"...

JD

Old 08-25-2011, 03:24 PM
"Michael D. Berger"

On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 08:00:16 -0700, John Doe wrote:

> From: Michael D. Berger
> <m_d_berger_1900@yahoo.com>
>
>> On my newly installed CentOS 6 I am running KDE (I think; I selected it
>> in the setup, but how would I know?).
>
> Only God would know...
>
>> It has three default icons:
>> Computer; Root's Home; Trash.* I do not see them in /root/Desktop. How
>> can I remove them?
>
> Did you go look into the Desktop controls...? There must be something
> like "Show icons on desktop" somewhere... Or you could maybe google for
> something like: "kde hide desktop icons"...
>
> JD

Yes, I found the control. But it doesn't include the default icons.

I "solved" the problem with:

yum remove nautilus

But now, when I put a directory in /root/Desktop, it does not
appear on the desktop.

I am now looking for a another file manager -- perhaps the one
used in my older CentOS.

Mike.

Old 08-25-2011, 03:57 PM
John Doe

From: Michael D. Berger <m_d_berger_1900@yahoo.com>

> I "solved" the problem with:
> * yum remove nautilus
> But now, when I put a directory in /root/Desktop, it does not
> appear on the desktop.
> I am now looking for a another file manager -- perhaps the one
> used in my older CentOS.

Since you seem to be using Gnome and not KDE, you can google
for "gnome hide dekstop icons", and the first answer will tell
you how to hide those system icons (gconf-editor).
But first reinstall nautilus.

JD

Old 08-25-2011, 04:34 PM
"Michael D. Berger"

On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 08:57:50 -0700, John Doe wrote:

[...]
> Since you seem to be using Gnome and not KDE, you can google for "gnome
> hide dekstop icons", and the first answer will tell you how to hide
> those system icons (gconf-editor). But first reinstall nautilus.
>
> JD

With the help of:

ps -ef | grep -i gnome
ps -ef | grep -i kde

I determined that I am in fact running gnome. I am therefore
reinstalling the system, selecting kde (as I did before) and
deselecting (I hope) all gnome things. Thanks for your help.

Mike.