Old 08-25-2011, 11:41 AM
Lamar Owen

Default Off topic list for centos please?

On Thursday, August 25, 2011 06:53:35 AM Karanbir Singh wrote:
> On 08/25/2011 11:00 AM, Keith Roberts wrote:
> > Could we have a centos-offtopic list please, so anything
> > that would be considered OT can be posted there?
>
> an offtopic list would need to come with a lot more moderation here then.

Agreed.

I'd suggest calling the list 'centos-social' after the IRC channel, with similar protocol for using it versus the main centos list. Makes things consistent, too, since then regardless of whether it's on IRC or e-mail the moderation can be 'take it to -social' across the board.

But there will always be those who will push the limit... simply because that's human nature.

Old 08-25-2011, 11:56 AM
Always Learning

On Thu, 2011-08-25 at 07:41 -0400, Lamar Owen wrote:

> But there will always be those who will push the limit... simply
> because that's human nature.

Like the Human race eventually expanding into space and perhaps
colonising planets ? I hope they will be using Centos :-)

Paul.

Old 08-25-2011, 12:47 PM
Timothy Murphy

Keith Roberts wrote:

> Could we have a centos-offtopic list please, so anything
> that would be considered OT can be posted there?

I don't think that is necessary;
this newsgroup does not seem to me to be over-loaded
with OT material, or indeed with material of any kind.
Splitting it would just be a nuisance, in my case at least.

Surely it is easy enough to avoid reading an article
labelled OT?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net

Old 08-25-2011, 01:18 PM
ken

On 08/25/2011 08:47 AM Timothy Murphy wrote:
> I don't think that is necessary;
> this newsgroup does not seem to me to be over-loaded
> with OT material, or indeed with material of any kind.
> Splitting it would just be a nuisance, in my case at least.
>
> Surely it is easy enough to avoid reading an article
> labelled OT?

I agree. There isn't that much OT stuff here in the first place. And
it's really not that hard to hit the delete key if you don't want to see it.

If there's going to be an OT list, why not also have a list for Stuff
That Doesn't Answer the OP's Question and another for Discussions Gone
Off on an Irrelevant Tangent... and another list: Threads I'm Not
Interested In.

Old 08-25-2011, 01:36 PM
Steve Clark

this newsgroup does not seem to me to be over-loaded
with OT material, or indeed with material of any kind.
Splitting it would just be a nuisance, in my case at least.

Surely it is easy enough to avoid reading an article
labelled OT?

I agree. There isn't that much OT stuff here in the first place. And
it's really not that hard to hit the delete key if you don't want to see it.

If there's going to be an OT list, why not also have a list for Stuff
That Doesn't Answer the OP's Question and another for Discussions Gone
Off on an Irrelevant Tangent... and another list: Threads I'm Not
Interested In.

I agree.

I use Thunderbird and all I do is press 't' and it marks the thread
read and goes the next thread.

--

Stephen*Clark

NetWolves

Sr.*Software*Engineer*III

Phone:*813-579-3200

Fax:*813-882-0209

Email:*steve.clark@netwolves.com

http://www.netwolves.com

Old 08-25-2011, 02:34 PM
Ross Walker

On Aug 25, 2011, at 6:53 AM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org> wrote:

> On 08/25/2011 11:00 AM, Keith Roberts wrote:
>> Could we have a centos-offtopic list please, so anything
>> that would be considered OT can be posted there?
>
> an offtopic list would need to come with a lot more moderation here then.

How about specific on-topic lists, such as:

centos.storage
centos.deploy
centos.manage
centos.gui
.
.

It would be dead simple then to know what is and is not on/off topic.

-Ross

Old 08-25-2011, 02:48 PM
John Doe

From: Timothy Murphy <gayleard@eircom.net>

> Keith Roberts wrote:
>> Could we have a centos-offtopic list please, so anything
>> that would be considered OT can be posted there?
>
> I don't think that is necessary;
> this newsgroup does not seem to me to be over-loaded
> with OT material, or indeed with material of any kind.
> Splitting it would just be a nuisance, in my case at least.
>
> Surely it is easy enough to avoid reading an article
> labelled OT?

Those who want to never see these OT posts could just
create a simple mail filter in their mail client to automatically
trash "* OT *" mails...

JD

Old 08-25-2011, 03:32 PM
Always Learning

On Thu, 2011-08-25 at 10:34 -0400, Ross Walker wrote:

> How about specific on-topic lists, such as:
>
> centos.storage
> centos.deploy
> centos.manage
> centos.gui

If subscribing to a few, but not all, one could miss really interesting
and informative, although unexpected, information in one of the others.

If someone wrote about storage and also mentioned 'gui' that person,
according to your suggestion, should post to two lists and if they
explained, at the same time, how they deployed it, 3 lists instead of
one ? This inevitably means readers could seem multiple postings,
although in different lists, for the same topic and if responding should
they post 2 or 3 identical replies - one to each list containing the
posting ?

Your idea could be modified to including on the subject line a one-word
prefix for the topic. For example 'Storage: ......'

I concur with the others who thought OT traffic should be marked 'OT'
on the subject line and filtered out. Meanwhile retaining one Centos
Users list.

--
With best regards,

Paul.
England,
EU.

Old 08-25-2011, 03:38 PM

Ross Walker wrote:
> On Aug 25, 2011, at 6:53 AM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org> wrote:
>> On 08/25/2011 11:00 AM, Keith Roberts wrote:
>>> Could we have a centos-offtopic list please, so anything
>>> that would be considered OT can be posted there?
<snip>
> How about specific on-topic lists, such as:
>
> centos.storage
> centos.deploy
> centos.manage
> .

I don't think those are specific enough. How 'bout
centos.storage.dell, or
centos.storage.dell.perc400
centos.storage.dell.perc700
?
*sigh*
So we should all subscribe to how many lists? And then there's the threads
that I wander into, that turn out to be very interesting, or useful, that
I wouldn't have subscribed to.

mark

Old 08-25-2011, 03:41 PM
Jerry McAllister

On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 04:32:10PM +0100, Always Learning wrote:

> On Thu, 2011-08-25 at 10:34 -0400, Ross Walker wrote:

I have noticed that in other areas where I am subscribed to a
tech list of this nature and where there are multiple lists
supposedly to separate topics, it doesn't work very well.
One of the lists tends to become dominant and people just post
there, occasionally cross-posting to one of the others.

So, one list becomes general purpose and the others become mostly
ignored. The result is a lot more people complaining about OT
posts and arguing about where things should be posted - thus
increasing the OT traffic.

So, if people will just be a little less quick to complain about
OT posts, this list would see an actual reduction in OT posts.

////jerry