Old 08-26-2011, 04:12 PM
Les Mikesell

Default Off topic list for centos please?

On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 10:37 AM, Lamar Owen <lowen@pari.edu> wrote:
> On Thursday, August 25, 2011 12:53:20 PM Les Mikesell wrote:
>> *And if anything drove posters away from here it was certain people
>> telling them their input wasn't wanted.
>
> Or correcting them in miniscule details and arguing about it ad nauseum.

Nothing is wrong with getting details right - telling people to go
away is something else. And if there is _one_ thing that should be on
topic and of utmost interest for CentOS users, it should be _when_ a
version or update is going to be available. Practically everything
else is about upstream or the tiny differences.

Old 08-26-2011, 05:22 PM
Anne Wilson

On Thursday 25 Aug 2011 John R Pierce wrote:

> On 08/25/11 9:46 AM, R P Herrold wrote:

> > yeah -- just like there is presently any self control being

> > shown by certain serial offenders here. We could set it up,

> > but the people who need to use it wont't

> sadly, we'd see the same crap cross-posted to all those lists....

I read many lists, and I've seen more crap in this single thread than in all the other lists put together. Most of it comes from the self-righteous.

Anne

Old 08-28-2011, 12:58 PM
Karanbir Singh

On 08/25/2011 12:30 PM, Kenneth Porter wrote:
>> an offtopic list would need to come with a lot more moderation here then.
>
> Are the -devel and -docs lists moderated?

I didnt imply holding postings back for moderation - but more along the
lines of creating an identity for the list, and asking people to shift
conversations to better suite the audience on there. And in those ways
the -devel and -docs list are much more focused than the generic list here.

> A reason I suggest -tech is that it's usually fairly clear when a question
> isn't technical but either social or political (eg. advocacy).
>
> OTOH, I don't think the technical traffic is high enough to warrant
> separate software and hardware lists (as would be the case with the generic
> Linux newsgroups).

A large part of the value of this list comes from the varied and diverse
membership. However, the main focus is still about CentOS itself. I try
and keep up, but often fall behind reading this list - but it does look
like a lot more people would rather see the hostility and arrogance on
this list go away, rather than split the membership up into smaller groups.

An example worth looking at and considering is the centos-virt list.
Quite a few people here are members there as well, and yet continue to
post to this list about their virt specific issues.

The other issue that we have, which many other lists dont - is that the
membership churn is quite high. And without exception, we fail quite
comprehensively as a group to capitalise on that. What should be an
amazing opportunity for us to bring in, nurture and hold onto content
and tech specific talent - is repeatedly driven away, marginalised and
put down.

Yes we have the people using this list repeatedly without contributing
back, yes we have people on the list here who will, even after being
pointed out, fail to adhere to list etiquette and we have people on
there who will still stick in and try to help others through the noise.
And yes we do have people who will rant on and on about things with
dubious relevance, while they will still turn around and make very good
relevant points some times. But guess what, we have all kinds of people
on this list - even the occasional spammer.

One thing we definitely have in abundance is opinion on how this list
should be run, whats OT and whats not and how people should go about
starting to get help with issues they come up against. Since not
everyone here would have a wiki.centos.org account, I've started a
typewith.me page at http://typewith.me/B3hEsCAx97 ; how about everyone
come together and thrash out a list policy, with guidelines and helpful
content that might even become holding content at
wiki.centos.org/GettingHelp and wiki.centos.org/EngageCommunity

Thoughts about this, put it here on the list. Thoughts ON the content,
put them in the typewith.me page. If you have a wiki account, please use
the login name there for your ID on the typewith.me page.

- KB

Old 08-28-2011, 01:12 PM
Always Learning

On Sun, 2011-08-28 at 13:58 +0100, Karanbir Singh wrote:

> The other issue that we have, which many other lists dont - is that
> the membership churn is quite high. And without exception, we fail
> quite comprehensively as a group to capitalise on that. W

Please explain how, or why, the group should 'capitalise' on membership
churn ? Churn, what the English once called 'turnover', means people
departing. How could departees be 'capitalised on' ? Given a free 'I
Love Centos' sticker as a memento ?

I favour publicising Centos more. It really is a brilliant product
created and maintained by a tiny few who are mainly unknown to the vast
quantity of world users.

I suggest an annual week long Centos event on every continent. For
Europe, perhaps in sunny Belgium. To make it affordable for all it could
be camping rather than expensive hotels and held in June, July or
August.

--
With best regards,

Paul.