Old 08-25-2011, 04:07 PM
Anne Wilson

Default Off topic list for centos please?

On Thursday 25 Aug 2011 John Doe wrote:

> From: Timothy Murphy <gayleard@eircom.net>

> > Keith Roberts wrote:

> >> Could we have a centos-offtopic list please, so anything

> >> that would be considered OT can be posted there?

> > I don't think that is necessary;

> > this newsgroup does not seem to me to be over-loaded

> > with OT material, or indeed with material of any kind.

> > Splitting it would just be a nuisance, in my case at least.

> > Surely it is easy enough to avoid reading an article

> > labelled OT?

> Those who want to never see these OT posts could just

> create a simple mail filter in their mail client to automatically

> trash "* OT *" mails...

How do you set a filter for "bike-shedding" :-D

Anne

Old 08-25-2011, 04:35 PM

Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Thursday 25 Aug 2011 John Doe wrote:
>> From: Timothy Murphy <gayleard@eircom.net>
<snip>
>> Those who want to never see these OT posts could just
>> create a simple mail filter in their mail client to automatically
>> trash "* OT *" mails...
>>
> How do you set a filter for "bike-shedding" :-D

You've got a bike shed that runs linux? I'd like to see that....

mark

Old 08-25-2011, 04:46 PM
R P Herrold

On Thu, 25 Aug 2011, Kenneth Porter wrote:

>> I think the centos-offtopic list should also be centos
>> related, but not so strict postings as the current list is.

yeah -- just like there is presently any self control being
shown by certain serial offenders here. We could set it up,
but the people who need to use it wont't

> Perhaps a better split would be centos-tech for "on topic" stuff

you know ... if the inmates were running the asylum, that
would be a SUPER idea

This list has turned into such a high noise, low signal (but
OPEN, DEMOCRATIC, and FREE SPEECH) cesspool that it has
succeeded in driving away substantially all posters bringing
content of tchnical merit here

tragedy of the commons, I guess

-- Russ herrold

Old 08-25-2011, 04:53 PM
Les Mikesell

On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 11:46 AM, R P Herrold <herrold@owlriver.com> wrote:

> This list has turned into such a high noise, low signal (but
> OPEN, DEMOCRATIC, and FREE SPEECH) cesspool that it has
> succeeded in driving away substantially all posters bringing
> content of tchnical merit here

How much technical merit can there be on the topic of how Centos
differs from RHEL (which is the only thing really specific to CentOS)?
And if anything drove posters away from here it was certain people
telling them their input wasn't wanted.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 08-25-2011, 04:54 PM
R P Herrold

On Thu, 25 Aug 2011, Timothy Murphy wrote:

> Surely it is easy enough to avoid reading an article
> labelled OT?

sure -- one person SHOULD be able to burden tens of thousands
to clean up after them repeatedly

- R

Old 08-25-2011, 04:58 PM
Steve Clark