Old 08-25-2011, 10:00 AM
Keith Roberts

Default Off topic list for centos please?

Could we have a centos-offtopic list please, so anything
that would be considered OT can be posted there?

That way it would keep anything considered as OT and
list-noise off the main centos specific list.

So each users then has the option of being on the main
centos list, and/or the centos-offtopic list as well.

That would keep the more experienced centos users happy, and
allow us less experienced centos users to also learn from
each other as well.

I for one like to learn from such posts as the
[CentOS] OT: Hardware upgrade help, as 64 bit is something
I'm interested in learning about from other centos users
that wish to contribute to threads like these.

I think the centos-offtopic list should also be centos
related, but not so strict postings as the current list is.

Kind Regards,

Keith Roberts

Websites:
http://www.karsites.net
http://www.php-debuggers.net
http://www.raised-from-the-dead.org.uk

TMDA [http://tmda.net]

Old 08-25-2011, 10:11 AM
Kenneth Porter

--On Thursday, August 25, 2011 12:00 PM +0100 Keith Roberts
<keith@karsites.net> wrote:

> I think the centos-offtopic list should also be centos
> related, but not so strict postings as the current list is.

Perhaps a better split would be centos-tech for "on topic" stuff
specifically about the OS and its packages, and something like centos-misc
for everything else. And perhaps a centos-advocacy for stuff like the
griping (whether justified or not) of the last few months, and for talking
about rival distros. (This mirrors the way the comp.os.linux newsgroups are
split.)

I consider the hardware threads on-topic insofar as they're about system
requirements for running the OS. Getting hardware to work with Linux has
always been an important issue.

Old 08-25-2011, 10:23 AM
Keith Roberts

On Thu, 25 Aug 2011, Kenneth Porter wrote:

> From: Kenneth Porter <shiva@sewingwitch.com>
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] Off topic list for centos please?
>
> --On Thursday, August 25, 2011 12:00 PM +0100 Keith Roberts
> <keith@karsites.net> wrote:
>
>> I think the centos-offtopic list should also be centos
>> related, but not so strict postings as the current list is.
>
> Perhaps a better split would be centos-tech for "on topic"
> stuff specifically about the OS and its packages, and
> something like centos-misc for everything else. And
> perhaps a centos-advocacy for stuff like the griping
> (whether justified or not) of the last few months, and for
> talking about rival distros. (This mirrors the way the
> comp.os.linux newsgroups are split.)

That sounds like a good idea to me Ken.

Keith

Old 08-25-2011, 10:40 AM
Always Learning

On Thu, 2011-08-25 at 11:00 +0100, Keith Roberts wrote:

> Could we have a centos-offtopic list please, so anything
> that would be considered OT can be posted there?

A sensible idea supported by sensible reasons.

--
With best regards,

Paul.
England,
EU.

Old 08-25-2011, 10:53 AM
Karanbir Singh

On 08/25/2011 11:00 AM, Keith Roberts wrote:
> Could we have a centos-offtopic list please, so anything
> that would be considered OT can be posted there?

an offtopic list would need to come with a lot more moderation here then.

- KB

Old 08-25-2011, 11:23 AM
Rudi Ahlers

On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 12:53 PM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org> wrote:
> On 08/25/2011 11:00 AM, Keith Roberts wrote:
>> Could we have a centos-offtopic list please, so anything
>> that would be considered OT can be posted there?
>
> an offtopic list would need to come with a lot more moderation here then.
>
> - KB

areed, and the OT list would probably abused so much that it may be
closed altogether.

My suggestion:
Why not use mailman topics feature for this, and then the guys who
feel everything where the word CentOS isn't exclusively mentioned is
OT, can un-subscribe from those topics?

--
Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Website: http://www.SoftDux.com
Technical Blog: http://Blog.SoftDux.com
Office: 087 805 9573
Cell: 082 554 7532

Old 08-25-2011, 11:30 AM
Kenneth Porter

--On Thursday, August 25, 2011 12:53 PM +0100 Karanbir Singh
<mail-lists@karan.org> wrote:

> an offtopic list would need to come with a lot more moderation here then.

Are the -devel and -docs lists moderated?

A reason I suggest -tech is that it's usually fairly clear when a question
isn't technical but either social or political (eg. advocacy).

OTOH, I don't think the technical traffic is high enough to warrant
separate software and hardware lists (as would be the case with the generic
Linux newsgroups).