FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > CentOS > CentOS

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 08-25-2011, 09:44 AM
Andrew Dorozhkin
 
Default svnserve and SysVinit

Hello there and SFME.

Since el6 subversion package doesn't contain traditional SysV
demonization script
anymore I wonder how it is supposed to run svnserve from now on.

1) Should one write init script to be managed with service(8) on his own?
2) Or launch svnserve on demand via (x)inetd?
3) Or put svnserve command line in some rc-script?
4) Or maybe is ra_svn deployment scheme not supported in el6 at all and one
should stick with Apache/mod_dav_svn?

Thanks
d.a.
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 08-25-2011, 09:46 PM
Craig White
 
Default svnserve and SysVinit

On Aug 25, 2011, at 2:44 AM, Andrew Dorozhkin wrote:

> Hello there and SFME.
>
> Since el6 subversion package doesn't contain traditional SysV
> demonization script
> anymore I wonder how it is supposed to run svnserve from now on.
>
> 1) Should one write init script to be managed with service(8) on his own?
> 2) Or launch svnserve on demand via (x)inetd?
> 3) Or put svnserve command line in some rc-script?
> 4) Or maybe is ra_svn deployment scheme not supported in el6 at all and one
> should stick with Apache/mod_dav_svn?
----
subversion transports via local file system, ssh or http - there never was a sysv script to start it because there was never any service to start.

Craig
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 08-25-2011, 10:06 PM
Les Mikesell
 
Default svnserve and SysVinit

On 8/25/2011 4:46 PM, Craig White wrote:
>
> On Aug 25, 2011, at 2:44 AM, Andrew Dorozhkin wrote:
>
>> Hello there and SFME.
>>
>> Since el6 subversion package doesn't contain traditional SysV
>> demonization script
>> anymore I wonder how it is supposed to run svnserve from now on.
>>
>> 1) Should one write init script to be managed with service(8) on his own?
>> 2) Or launch svnserve on demand via (x)inetd?
>> 3) Or put svnserve command line in some rc-script?
>> 4) Or maybe is ra_svn deployment scheme not supported in el6 at all and one
>> should stick with Apache/mod_dav_svn?
> ----
> subversion transports via local file system, ssh or http - there never was a sysv script to start it because there was never any service to start.

Yes there is if you run a standalone svnserve, not started by ssh.

The 5.x RPM includes:
/etc/rc.d/init.d/svnserve

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 08-25-2011, 10:13 PM
Craig White
 
Default svnserve and SysVinit

On Aug 25, 2011, at 3:06 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:

> On 8/25/2011 4:46 PM, Craig White wrote:
>>
>> On Aug 25, 2011, at 2:44 AM, Andrew Dorozhkin wrote:
>>
>>> Hello there and SFME.
>>>
>>> Since el6 subversion package doesn't contain traditional SysV
>>> demonization script
>>> anymore I wonder how it is supposed to run svnserve from now on.
>>>
>>> 1) Should one write init script to be managed with service(8) on his own?
>>> 2) Or launch svnserve on demand via (x)inetd?
>>> 3) Or put svnserve command line in some rc-script?
>>> 4) Or maybe is ra_svn deployment scheme not supported in el6 at all and one
>>> should stick with Apache/mod_dav_svn?
>> ----
>> subversion transports via local file system, ssh or http - there never was a sysv script to start it because there was never any service to start.
>
> Yes there is if you run a standalone svnserve, not started by ssh.
>
> The 5.x RPM includes:
> /etc/rc.d/init.d/svnserve
----
ah - never installed or used it - simply used the ssh/http/file transports I guess - seemed to be enough.

Craig
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 08-26-2011, 08:10 AM
Andrew Dorozhkin
 
Default svnserve and SysVinit

26.08.2011 2:13, Craig White wrote:
> ah - never installed or used it - simply used the ssh/http/file transports I guess - seemed to be enough.
Indeed, I really forgot to mention ssh-tunneling in the op-post.

But I like"classic" svn:// access scheme with per-repo configuration and
artificial user accounts stored in $REPO/conf/svnserve.conf most of all,
so I have configured
svnserve to be spawned on demand by xinetd already and it works well.

Even though there is not an actual problem to make svnserve up and
running in 6.x I am still
concerned about possible reasons which lead to svnserve-as-daemon
abandonment as of 6.0.

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:17 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org