Old 08-25-2011, 09:31 AM
anax

Default Problems with kickstart installation into a Virtualbox

Hi listers
i tried to kickstart-install CentOS 6.0 64 in a Virtualbox (Virtualbox
Version 4.12). I used a local CDROM with the net-install ISO on it to
boot from. The ISO distribution file was provided on a server in the LAN
as was the kickstart file.
When starting the installation i aded the following to the kernel line
of the grub menu:
ks=http://install.mydomain.com/ks/centos.6.64.cfg

After i had corrected some errors in the kickstart file, the
installation started as expected.
But it did not terminate as expected: after installing 198 of 671
packages, the installation halted with an error (i.e. after installing
the package libutempter).
In order to see what the problem was, i restarted from the CDROM in
recovery mode, and after going into the half-way installed system, i saw
in the anaconda log that about three quarters of the post-installation
scripts of the packages had returned a warning. The warning code was
255. But the post-installation script of the package libutempter had
returned an error with code 255, whereupon the installation stopped.

I thought, OK, we will work around the libutempter package by selecting
other program-groups in the kickstart-file. But i had no luck: the
installation stopped then after the package MAKEDEV.

Then i left off kickstart-installation and did a standard installation
booting from the CDROM and getting the default packages from the server
in the LAN. This worked fine.

-----

When it came to test the installed packages i was always lucky except
with the package fuse (fuse-2.8.3-1.el6.x86_64) which contains the
binary /usr/bin/fusermount. This binary was installed without execute
permission for everybody, so it could be invoked only by the userid root
and members of the group fuse, which is not, what i had expected.

suomi

Old 08-25-2011, 09:51 AM
John Hodrien

On Thu, 25 Aug 2011, anax wrote:

> Hi listers
> i tried to kickstart-install CentOS 6.0 64 in a Virtualbox (Virtualbox
> Version 4.12). I used a local CDROM with the net-install ISO on it to
> boot from. The ISO distribution file was provided on a server in the LAN
> as was the kickstart file.
> When starting the installation i aded the following to the kernel line
> of the grub menu:
> ks=http://install.mydomain.com/ks/centos.6.64.cfg
>
> After i had corrected some errors in the kickstart file, the
> installation started as expected.
> But it did not terminate as expected: after installing 198 of 671
> packages, the installation halted with an error (i.e. after installing
> the package libutempter).
> In order to see what the problem was, i restarted from the CDROM in
> recovery mode, and after going into the half-way installed system, i saw
> in the anaconda log that about three quarters of the post-installation
> scripts of the packages had returned a warning. The warning code was
> 255. But the post-installation script of the package libutempter had
> returned an error with code 255, whereupon the installation stopped.
>
> I thought, OK, we will work around the libutempter package by selecting
> other program-groups in the kickstart-file. But i had no luck: the
> installation stopped then after the package MAKEDEV.

This is a known bug of CentOS 6.0. Redo the install without including the
updates repo in your kickstart file, and you'll find it installs fine.

jh

Old 08-25-2011, 10:02 AM
John Doe

From: anax <anax@ayni.com>

> binary /usr/bin/fusermount. This binary was installed without execute
> permission for everybody, so it could be invoked only by the userid root
> and members of the group fuse, which is not, what i had expected.

Same permissions as with CentOS 5...

# ll /bin/fusermount
-rwsr-x--- 1 root fuse 23692 sep* 3* 2009 /bin/fusermount

# ll /bin/fusermount
-rwsr-x--- 1 root fuse 28648 Nov 11* 2010 /bin/fusermount

I would suspect that allowing anybody to use this suid command
by default would maybe not be a good idea...
Just add yourself to the fuse group.

JD

Old 08-25-2011, 02:33 PM
anax

Hi John
thanks for the immediate information.

suomi

Old 08-25-2011, 05:16 PM
Paul Heinlein

On Thu, 25 Aug 2011, John Hodrien wrote:

> This is a known bug of CentOS 6.0. Redo the install without
> including the updates repo in your kickstart file, and you'll find
> it installs fine.

Odd. I've had no trouble doing kickstarts with the updates repo
specified in the kickstart configuration.

Old 08-26-2011, 07:47 AM
John Hodrien

On Thu, 25 Aug 2011, Paul Heinlein wrote:

> On Thu, 25 Aug 2011, John Hodrien wrote:
>
>> This is a known bug of CentOS 6.0. Redo the install without
>> including the updates repo in your kickstart file, and you'll find
>> it installs fine.
>
> Odd. I've had no trouble doing kickstarts with the updates repo
> specified in the kickstart configuration.

http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=4978

jh

Old 08-26-2011, 02:59 PM
Paul Heinlein

On Fri, 26 Aug 2011, John Hodrien wrote:

> On Thu, 25 Aug 2011, Paul Heinlein wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 25 Aug 2011, John Hodrien wrote:
>>
>>> This is a known bug of CentOS 6.0. Redo the install without
>>> including the updates repo in your kickstart file, and you'll find
>>> it installs fine.
>>
>> Odd. I've had no trouble doing kickstarts with the updates repo
>> specified in the kickstart configuration.
>
> http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=4978

No, I understand that it's a problem in some cases. I simply noted
that it's "odd" that I've been able to include the updates repo
without any problem.