FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > CentOS > CentOS

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 08-24-2011, 12:17 AM
"Thomas Dukes"
 
Default OT: Hardware upgrade help

I would like to upgrade my system to a 64 bit machine. I'd like to find a
bare bones platform to build on. I'm not looking to spend a lot of money on
this as it is a home system. I looked on the CentOS sponsor page but only
saw hosting services.

I haven't kept up with hardware in years so I'm dumber than dirt on what's
out there. I would prefer a desktop so I can stack it. Don't think I need to
do the Xeon as that would be overkill for a home user.

This would be replacing my 'server' so I need PCI slots for an additional
NIC and a 32 bit video capture card used for zoneminder. Not sure what PCI
express is or if my cards would work in those slots. Yep, I'm running 8 yrs
old machines, IBM NetVistas. :-(

Any help or referal to a sponsor would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,

Eddie

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 08-24-2011, 12:21 AM
"Thomas Dukes"
 
Default OT: Hardware upgrade help

> -----Original Message-----
> From: centos-bounces@centos.org
> [mailto:centos-bounces@centos.org] On Behalf Of Thomas Dukes
> Sent: Tuesday, August 23, 2011 8:18 PM
> To: centos@centos.org
> Subject: [CentOS] OT: Hardware upgrade help
>
> I would like to upgrade my system to a 64 bit machine. I'd
> like to find a bare bones platform to build on. I'm not
> looking to spend a lot of money on this as it is a home
> system. I looked on the CentOS sponsor page but only saw
> hosting services.
>
> I haven't kept up with hardware in years so I'm dumber than
> dirt on what's out there. I would prefer a desktop so I can
> stack it. Don't think I need to do the Xeon as that would be
> overkill for a home user.
>
> This would be replacing my 'server' so I need PCI slots for
> an additional NIC and a 32 bit video capture card used for
> zoneminder. Not sure what PCI express is or if my cards would
> work in those slots. Yep, I'm running 8 yrs old machines, IBM
> NetVistas. :-(
>
> Any help or referal to a sponsor would be greatly appreciated.
>
> TIA,
>
> Eddie

PS If any of youu have any 2 or 3 yr old machines for sale, let me know as
well.

Thanks!!

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 08-24-2011, 12:26 AM
John R Pierce
 
Default OT: Hardware upgrade help

On 08/23/11 5:17 PM, Thomas Dukes wrote:
> I would like to upgrade my system to a 64 bit machine. I'd like to find a
> bare bones platform to build on. I'm not looking to spend a lot of money on
> this as it is a home system. I looked on the CentOS sponsor page but only
> saw hosting services.
>
> I haven't kept up with hardware in years so I'm dumber than dirt on what's
> out there. I would prefer a desktop so I can stack it. Don't think I need to
> do the Xeon as that would be overkill for a home user.

any Intel Core 2 or newer, or AMD Opteron processor from about 3-4 years
ago or newer would suit you just fine. the newest ones have 4+ cores.

> This would be replacing my 'server' so I need PCI slots for an additional
> NIC and a 32 bit video capture card used for zoneminder. Not sure what PCI
> express is or if my cards would work in those slots. Yep, I'm running 8 yrs
> old machines, IBM NetVistas. :-(

parallel 32bit PCI is becoming obsolete, although many motherboards have
both PCI-E and legacy PCI slots... PCI-Express is not physically or
electrically compatible. ISA is totally history, you won't find an ISA
slot on anything made in the past few years. Most newer NICs are
PCI-Express anyways. I do wish more desktop motherboards had 2
ethernet ports, and more servers had 4 standard.




--
john r pierce N 37, W 122
santa cruz ca mid-left coast

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 08-24-2011, 12:39 AM
Always Learning
 
Default OT: Hardware upgrade help

I suggest:

mini-tower / half-tower
AMD 4 core processor with virtualization facility
(AMD are cheaper than Intel in Europe)
(if buying Intel get the virtualization facility)
8 GB RAM
motherboard
with PCI Express and 1 or 2 older pci slots
4 SATA (and 2 PATA (ISA) for any old drives*)
USB 2 or even USB 3
Ethernet controller
sound chips
DVD writer
500 GB SATA HDD
HDD caddy for easy removal of the HDD

* Some ASRock motherboard have it

The cheapest source is likely to be found on-line by Googling or looking
at a major web buying site.

Good luck.
--
With best regards,

Paul.
England,
EU.


_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 08-24-2011, 12:40 AM
"Thomas Dukes"
 
Default OT: Hardware upgrade help

> -----Original Message-----
> From: centos-bounces@centos.org
> [mailto:centos-bounces@centos.org] On Behalf Of John R Pierce
> Sent: Tuesday, August 23, 2011 8:26 PM
> To: centos@centos.org
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] OT: Hardware upgrade help
>
> On 08/23/11 5:17 PM, Thomas Dukes wrote:
> > I would like to upgrade my system to a 64 bit machine. I'd like to
> > find a bare bones platform to build on. I'm not looking to
> spend a lot
> > of money on this as it is a home system. I looked on the CentOS
> > sponsor page but only saw hosting services.
> >
> > I haven't kept up with hardware in years so I'm dumber than dirt on
> > what's out there. I would prefer a desktop so I can stack it. Don't
> > think I need to do the Xeon as that would be overkill for a
> home user.
>
> any Intel Core 2 or newer, or AMD Opteron processor from
> about 3-4 years
> ago or newer would suit you just fine. the newest ones have
> 4+ cores.

What determines if it's a 64 bit machine? Dual core?

>
> > This would be replacing my 'server' so I need PCI slots for an
> > additional NIC and a 32 bit video capture card used for zoneminder.
> > Not sure what PCI express is or if my cards would work in
> those slots.
> > Yep, I'm running 8 yrs old machines, IBM NetVistas. :-(
>
> parallel 32bit PCI is becoming obsolete, although many
> motherboards have both PCI-E and legacy PCI slots...
> PCI-Express is not physically or
> electrically compatible. ISA is totally history, you won't
> find an ISA
> slot on anything made in the past few years. Most newer NICs are
> PCI-Express anyways. I do wish more desktop motherboards had 2
> ethernet ports, and more servers had 4 standard.
>
Any suggestions on a mainboard with that can accommodate my needs?

Thanks!!

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 08-24-2011, 12:43 AM
Always Learning
 
Default OT: Hardware upgrade help

On Tue, 2011-08-23 at 20:40 -0400, Thomas Dukes wrote:

> What determines if it's a 64 bit machine? Dual core?

Dual core = 2 CPUs effectively.
Quad core = 4 CPUs on the same piece of Silicon

64 bit = more advance instruction set which replaces all the older 32
bit instruction set CPUs. 64 bit is more modern than 32 bit and that is
the way software is going.


--
With best regards,

Paul.
England,
EU.


_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 08-24-2011, 12:51 AM
John R Pierce
 
Default OT: Hardware upgrade help

On 08/23/11 5:40 PM, Thomas Dukes wrote:
>> any Intel Core 2 or newer, or AMD Opteron processor from
>> about 3-4 years
>> ago or newer would suit you just fine. the newest ones have
>> 4+ cores.
>
> What determines if it's a 64 bit machine? Dual core?

no, the CPU itself. btw, I meant to say Athlon, not Opteron (Opteron is
the server version, just like Xeon is Intel's server version)

almost any mainstream Intel CPU since the P4 "Prescott/2M" are 64bit
enabled, this includes all Core 2 Duo CPUs, and all Core I-series. The
Core I3 stuff is a particularly cheap now.

note that 64 bit CPUs can run 32 bit operating systems.... and a 64 bit
OS on a 64 bit CPU can run most 32 bit applications.


> Any suggestions on a mainboard with that can accommodate my needs?


100s of desktop motherboards out there, any one that fits the CPU you
want, holds sufficient memory for your needs, and has the IO slots and
SATA channels you need would be good to go. Don't go looking for
ATA/IDE or floppy controllers, they are also history. So are
serial/parallel ports, if you need them, get a PCI-Express serial IO card.





--
john r pierce N 37, W 122
santa cruz ca mid-left coast

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 08-24-2011, 12:57 AM
"Thomas Dukes"
 
Default OT: Hardware upgrade help

> -----Original Message-----
> From: centos-bounces@centos.org
> [mailto:centos-bounces@centos.org] On Behalf Of Always Learning
> Sent: Tuesday, August 23, 2011 8:39 PM
> To: CentOS mailing list
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] OT: Hardware upgrade help
>
> I suggest:
>
> mini-tower / half-tower
> AMD 4 core processor with virtualization facility
> (AMD are cheaper than Intel in Europe)
> (if buying Intel get the virtualization facility)

Strange, just installed virtualbox this past weekend. I prefer Intel
processor as well as Intell for the mainboard. Although I did have an AMD
DX-40 386 and it was solid. OK, I'm telling my age.

> 8 GB RAM

Was wanting at least 4GB would settle for 2.

> motherboard
> with PCI Express and 1 or 2 older pci slots
> 4 SATA (and 2 PATA (ISA) for any old drives*)
> USB 2 or even USB 3
> Ethernet controller
> sound chips
> DVD writer
> 500 GB SATA HDD
> HDD caddy for easy removal of the HDD
>
> * Some ASRock motherboard have it
>
> The cheapest source is likely to be found on-line by Googling
> or looking at a major web buying site.

I tried that and I'm blown away. The machines I have now have been rock
solid and I bought them used. They are like me, old.

>
> Good luck.
> --
> With best regards,
>
> Paul.
> England,
> EU.
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> CentOS mailing list
> CentOS@centos.org
> http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 08-24-2011, 01:04 AM
Always Learning
 
Default OT: Hardware upgrade help

On Tue, 2011-08-23 at 20:57 -0400, Thomas Dukes wrote:

> .... The machines I have now have been rock
> solid and I bought them used. They are like me, old.

Just because something is old, one shouldn't automatically thrown it
away :-)

You need to do a little on-line reading about USB (the effective
replacement for Centronics (parallel) ports and RS232/RS423 serial
ports. Also about the PCI replacement called PCI-Express.

The older ISA (now called PATA = Parallel ATA) has been replaced by SATA
(Serial ATA). SATA has 3 speeds. Most new disks are either SATA 2 or
SATA 3 speed.

Modern motherboards have on-board networking (Ethernet) and sound chips
which replace the plug-in cards.

It is an exciting world out there, even if a little confusing with all
the non-stop modern technology and new names to learn.

Why get second hand when new can be brought for little money, if you
hunt-down a bargain. That is what I always do.

Centos 6.1 should be out soon so you can have a fresh start.


--
With best regards,

Paul.
England,
EU.


_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 08-24-2011, 01:13 AM
John R Pierce
 
Default OT: Hardware upgrade help

On 08/23/11 5:57 PM, Thomas Dukes wrote:
>> > 8 GB RAM
> Was wanting at least 4GB would settle for 2.
>

on the upper grades of the current Intel CPUs (for instance, the CoreI7
4 and 6 core processors), there are three memory channels, and right now
the best bang per buck is 4GB DIMMs, so you get 3 x 4GB == 12GB in one
of those systems. most of the better motherboards for these CPUs have 6
dimm slots, so its easy to add a 2nd 12GB for 24GB total. if you're
even thinking of virtualization, you want lots of RAM

the low end budget version processors often have features disabled, such
as the VTx thing that lets you run 64bit virtual machines, so its useful
to study the specs closely. oh, and don't trust the specs on store
websites, check with the chip and board makers to verify.




--
john r pierce N 37, W 122
santa cruz ca mid-left coast

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 05:11 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org