Old 08-23-2011, 04:02 PM
Keith Roberts

Default IE 9 not sending digest auth info

On Tue, 23 Aug 2011, Paul Heinlein wrote:

> To: CentOS <centos@centos.org>
> From: Paul Heinlein <heinlein@madboa.com>
> Subject: [CentOS] IE 9 not sending digest auth info
>
> I migrated our internal wiki server last week, and some IE users
> aren't able to authenticate.

If it's only *some* IE users, you could try checking the
internet preferences for those that can authenticate and
those that cannot authenticate. Maybe that would throw some
light onto this?

The other thing I'd be inclined to test is this: Install
Wireshark on a machine that can authenticate using IE, and
on another that CANNOT authenticate. Then watch the
difference between IE users that can authenticate, and those
that cannot.

> The service is hosted by Apache using Digest authentication. It
> migrated from Apache 2.2.9 (Debian 5) to Apache 2.2.15 (CentOS 6). The
> internal hostname for the wiki server is a DNS CNAME that was
> repointed from one host to another during the cutover.
>
> In a normal session,
>
> 1. Client sends GET
> 2. Server sends 401 with WWW-Authenticate header
> 3. Client sends GET with Authorization header
> 4. Server sends 200 with Authentication-Info header and page content
>
> When using IE 9 (and possibly 8, I'm still trying to track that down),
>
> 1. Client sends GET
> 2. Server sends 401 with WWW-Authenticate header
> 3. Client resends GET (*without* Authorization header)
> 4. Server sends 401 with WWW-Authenticate header
> 5. Etc.
>
> IE seems to be ignoring 401 and/or the WWW-Authenticate headers. Using
> Chrome on Windows works fine; the issues are specific to IE.
>
> Any ideas?

You could try to convice the IE users that have
authentication problems to dump IE and install Firefox
instead?

Kind Regards,

Keith Roberts

Websites:
http://www.karsites.net
http://www.php-debuggers.net
http://www.raised-from-the-dead.org.uk

TMDA [http://tmda.net]

Old 08-23-2011, 08:31 PM
Kai Schaetzl

Did you check if the GET headers don't already contain the credentials?
If that page is identified as local intranet IE will send Windows logon
credentials with default security zone settings.

Kai