Old 08-23-2011, 09:59 AM
Marc Deop i Argemí

Default Not receiving root mail

On 23/08/2011 11:46, Tony Mountifield wrote:
> In article <CAJfU-f7nCz+iamXzg5rQ0VZAELctBCNcNFySYykAapXw5CeG6g@mail .gmail.com>,
> Anne Wilson <cannewilson@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> On 22 August 2011 20:50, Dennis Jacobfeuerborn <dennisml@conversis.de> wrote:
>>> One of the first things I do after the installation of a system is a yum
>>> install postfix followed by a yum remove sendmail. No need to deal with
>>> alternatives if you don't intend to deal with sendmail anyway.
>>>
>> I removed sendmail - but it also removed clamav-milter. When I tried
>> to re-install clamav-milter it would have pulled sendmail back in so I
>> aborted. Advice?
> milters are specific to sendmail. clamav-milter is a linkage between
> ClamAV and sendmail, so you don't need it with postfix. If you want to
> use ClamAV, you will need to find out how to link it with postfix, but
> it won't be by using clamav-milter.
>
> Cheers
> Tony

You can get src.rpm files for clamav from here:

http://pkgs.repoforge.org/clamav/

Regards

Old 08-23-2011, 10:00 AM
Anne Wilson

On 23 August 2011 10:46, Tony Mountifield <tony@softins.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <CAJfU-f7nCz+iamXzg5rQ0VZAELctBCNcNFySYykAapXw5CeG6g@mail .gmail.com>,
> Anne Wilson <cannewilson@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> On 22 August 2011 20:50, Dennis Jacobfeuerborn <dennisml@conversis.de> wrote:
>> > One of the first things I do after the installation of a system is a yum
>> > install postfix followed by a yum remove sendmail. No need to deal with
>> > alternatives if you don't intend to deal with sendmail anyway.
>> >
>> I removed sendmail - but it also removed clamav-milter. *When I tried
>> to re-install clamav-milter it would have pulled sendmail back in so I
>> aborted. *Advice?
>
> milters are specific to sendmail. clamav-milter is a linkage between
> ClamAV and sendmail, so you don't need it with postfix. If you want to
> use ClamAV, you will need to find out how to link it with postfix, but
> it won't be by using clamav-milter.

OK, that's fine, then. In the past I ran scans via cron - which I've
set up again. However, I'm back with the original problem of not
receiving root mail - and not receiving any local messages that should
be routed by the /etc/postfix/transport.db

Anne

Old 08-23-2011, 10:12 AM
Scott Robbins

On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 11:59:08AM +0200, Marc Deop i Argemí wrote:

> On 23/08/2011 11:46, Tony Mountifield wrote:

> > Anne Wilson <cannewilson@googlemail.com> wrote:

> >> I removed sendmail - but it also removed clamav-milter. When I tried
> >> to re-install clamav-milter it would have pulled sendmail back in so I
> >> aborted. Advice?
> > milters are specific to sendmail. clamav-milter is a linkage between
> > ClamAV and sendmail, so you don't need it with postfix. If you want to
> > use ClamAV, you will need to find out how to link it with postfix, but
> > it won't be by using clamav-milter.
> >
> > Cheers
> > Tony

> You can get src.rpm files for clamav from here:
>
> http://pkgs.repoforge.org/clamav/

Not even necessary to use the src.rpm. A simple yum install clamav will
install without pulling sendmail. However, as Tony wrote, Anne will
have to figure out how to use clamav with postfix.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Cordelia: You can't see everything. You're just a vampire
like everyone else. . . that didn't come out right.

Old 08-23-2011, 12:44 PM
Les Mikesell

On 8/23/11 3:51 AM, Anne Wilson wrote:

>> mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain, $mydomain, xxx.lan, xxx.org
>
> This morning I restored the old main.cf, which uses the old network
> settings of xxx.net. Now mail is being received, but sending mail is
> being refused by my server. I have two sending profiles - one that
> sends to the server (CentOS 6), which then should use
> /etc/postfix/transport to separate local mail and external mail,
> sending the external mail to the ISP's smtp server. The second
> profile is googlemail smtp, used when I'm away from home.
>
> Whichever I try to use I get a message that my mail server has refused
> the connection. I'm still trying to work out why. It sounds like
> authentication problem, but I can't see why it's happening.

Unless the next hop requires smtp authentication, the likely reason is that the
'From: ' address doesn't have a DNS-resolvable domain name.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 08-23-2011, 03:37 PM
Anne Wilson

On Tuesday 23 Aug 2011 Les Mikesell wrote:
> On 8/23/11 3:51 AM, Anne Wilson wrote:
> >> mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain, $mydomain, xxx.lan,
> >> xxx.org
> >
> > This morning I restored the old main.cf, which uses the old network
> > settings of xxx.net. Now mail is being received, but sending mail is
> > being refused by my server. I have two sending profiles - one that
> > sends to the server (CentOS 6), which then should use
> > /etc/postfix/transport to separate local mail and external mail,
> > sending the external mail to the ISP's smtp server. The second
> > profile is googlemail smtp, used when I'm away from home.
> >
> > Whichever I try to use I get a message that my mail server has refused
> > the connection. I'm still trying to work out why. It sounds like
> > authentication problem, but I can't see why it's happening.
>
> Unless the next hop requires smtp authentication, the likely reason is that
> the 'From: ' address doesn't have a DNS-resolvable domain name.

Hi, Les. Another "old friend" :-)

FWIW, I found that the right combination in main.cf was to set myhost to the
local name, borg.xxx.lan and mydomain to one of my owned domains, xxx.net, as
it was on the old server. Adding a couple of lines to transport (re-hashed,
of course) now gives me internal mail when addressed to anne@xxx.net or
anne@xxx.lan, and external mail when addressed any other way. Perfect.

Thanks to all who tried to help.

Anne

Old 08-23-2011, 04:23 PM
Rob Kampen

Anne Wilson wrote:

[...]

I use amavisd and clamav/clamd from rf repo - instructions on setup are
on the CentOS wiki - has always just worked for me with 5.x

HTH

Anne

Old 08-23-2011, 04:33 PM
Les Mikesell

On 8/23/2011 4:46 AM, Tony Mountifield wrote:

>> I removed sendmail - but it also removed clamav-milter. When I tried
>> to re-install clamav-milter it would have pulled sendmail back in so I
>> aborted. Advice?
>
> milters are specific to sendmail. clamav-milter is a linkage between
> ClamAV and sendmail, so you don't need it with postfix. If you want to
> use ClamAV, you will need to find out how to link it with postfix, but
> it won't be by using clamav-milter.

I only use sendmail with MimeDefang as a milter (which can coordinate
everything else), but I thought that postfix has had milter support for
a few years now.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 08-23-2011, 04:41 PM
"Alexander Dalloz"

> In article
> <CAJfU-f7nCz+iamXzg5rQ0VZAELctBCNcNFySYykAapXw5CeG6g@mail .gmail.com>,
> Anne Wilson <cannewilson@googlemail.com> wrote:

>> I removed sendmail - but it also removed clamav-milter. When I tried
>> to re-install clamav-milter it would have pulled sendmail back in so I
>> aborted. Advice?
>
> milters are specific to sendmail. clamav-milter is a linkage between
> ClamAV and sendmail, so you don't need it with postfix. If you want to
> use ClamAV, you will need to find out how to link it with postfix, but
> it won't be by using clamav-milter.
>
> Cheers
> Tony

Sorry Tony, that's not correct. Though the MILTER interface (Send_M_ail
f_ILTER) originally was an enhancement in Sendmail, meanwhile since quite
some time Postfix supports milter applications as well.

http://www.postfix.org/MILTER_README.html

So of course Postfix users can implement milter based solutions. And in
contrast to an AMaViS setup a milter based binding of ClamAV is
lightweight.

Regards

Alexander

Old 08-23-2011, 04:53 PM
Craig White

On Aug 23, 2011, at 9:41 AM, Alexander Dalloz wrote:

>> In article
>> <CAJfU-f7nCz+iamXzg5rQ0VZAELctBCNcNFySYykAapXw5CeG6g@mail .gmail.com>,
>> Anne Wilson <cannewilson@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>>> I removed sendmail - but it also removed clamav-milter. When I tried
>>> to re-install clamav-milter it would have pulled sendmail back in so I
>>> aborted. Advice?
>>
>> milters are specific to sendmail. clamav-milter is a linkage between
>> ClamAV and sendmail, so you don't need it with postfix. If you want to
>> use ClamAV, you will need to find out how to link it with postfix, but
>> it won't be by using clamav-milter.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Tony
>
> Sorry Tony, that's not correct. Though the MILTER interface (Send_M_ail
> f_ILTER) originally was an enhancement in Sendmail, meanwhile since quite
> some time Postfix supports milter applications as well.
>
> http://www.postfix.org/MILTER_README.html
>
> So of course Postfix users can implement milter based solutions. And in
> contrast to an AMaViS setup a milter based binding of ClamAV is
> lightweight.
----
of course but unless the clamav-milter packager removes the dependency on sendmail, it's out with the bathwater.

Craig

Old 08-24-2011, 09:10 AM

In article <50117.213.157.4.156.1314117697.squirrel@nimrod.ds cd.de>,
Alexander Dalloz <ad+lists@uni-x.org> wrote:
> > In article
> > <CAJfU-f7nCz+iamXzg5rQ0VZAELctBCNcNFySYykAapXw5CeG6g@mail .gmail.com>,
> > Anne Wilson <cannewilson@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> >> I removed sendmail - but it also removed clamav-milter. When I tried
> >> to re-install clamav-milter it would have pulled sendmail back in so I
> >> aborted. Advice?
> >
> > milters are specific to sendmail. clamav-milter is a linkage between
> > ClamAV and sendmail, so you don't need it with postfix. If you want to
> > use ClamAV, you will need to find out how to link it with postfix, but
> > it won't be by using clamav-milter.
>
> Sorry Tony, that's not correct. Though the MILTER interface (Send_M_ail
> f_ILTER) originally was an enhancement in Sendmail, meanwhile since quite
> some time Postfix supports milter applications as well.
>
> http://www.postfix.org/MILTER_README.html
>
> So of course Postfix users can implement milter based solutions. And in
> contrast to an AMaViS setup a milter based binding of ClamAV is
> lightweight.

OK, thanks, I stand corrected, and educated! Must admit I'm not very
familiar with postfix - only ever tried to do some debugging on it for
someone else.

Of course, that begs the question of whether clamav-milter would work
with postfix. If so, it should depend on (sendmail OR postfix). If not,
perhaps it should be called clamav-milter-sendmail instead, with another
package for clamav-milter-postfix.

Cheers
Tony
--