FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > CentOS > CentOS

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 08-22-2011, 02:40 PM
Les Mikesell
 
Default Not receiving root mail

On 8/22/2011 9:26 AM, Kai Schaetzl wrote:
> Actually, the "main suspect" is the program or person that is sending out
> mail with an unqualified sender, e.g. just "user". Change it to a
> qualified sender (e.g. with a resolvable FQDN).
>

With sendmail you can set 'MASQUERADE_AS' in sendmail.mc to the FQDN
that you would like to have added to unqualified senders. And if you
want mail from root to be included in this treatment you have to change
the default 'EXPOSED_USER' setting which assumes that root mail will be
kept local or sent to an internal hub where you will want to see the
real sending host.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 08-22-2011, 03:05 PM
Anne Wilson
 
Default Not receiving root mail

On 22/08/2011, Scott Robbins <scottro@nyc.rr.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 01:12:54PM +0100, Always Learning wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 2011-08-22 at 13:07 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
>>
>> > <anne@xxxx.org>: host mailhost.zen.co.uk[212.23.3.98] said:
>
> If you're running postfix, you might want to also edit /etc/aliases.
> The last line or so has a commented line, person who should get root's
> mail. (The name is marc, probably the person who first wrote it.)
>
I did that, some time ago. Postfix.conf points to
/etc/postfix/aliases, though, so I made sure by editing both.

> After changing that, run newaliases /etc/alias to rebuild the
> /etc/alias.db.
>
Yes, I did remember that

> To answer your other question, alternatives is the command you asked
> about in an earlier post
>
> alternatives --config mta
>
> This will show you if you're using postfix or sendmail.
>
I found postfix in the partial headers in the bounce-message
>
> --
> Scott Robbins
> PGP keyID EB3467D6
> ( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )
> gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys EB3467D6
>
> Spike: Where have you been pet?
> Drusilla: I went for a walk. I met an old man. I didn't like him,
> he got stuck in my teeth.
> _______________________________________________
> CentOS mailing list
> CentOS@centos.org
> http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
>
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 08-22-2011, 06:45 PM
"Alexander Dalloz"
 
Default Not receiving root mail

It is obvious you run both Sendmail and Postfix, ending in trouble. The
sendmail binary (which is a symlink) still points to Sendmail, though you
seem to have configured Postfix as you system's MTA.

> I have been careful to re-map transports and restart postfix after any
> changes to the config files. The following from maillog may shed some
> light as to where the problem lies:
>
> Aug 22 14:02:11 borg sendmail[1711]: p7MD29Lf001711: from=anne, size=6877,
> class=0, nrcpts=1, msgid=<201108221302.p7MD29Lf001711@borg.xxx.lan>,
> relay=root@localhost
> Aug 22 14:02:11 borg postfix/smtpd[2067]: connect from
> borg.xxx.net[127.0.0.1]
> Aug 22 14:02:11 borg postfix/smtpd[2067]: B4693A377C:
> client=borg.xxx.net[127.0.0.1]
> Aug 22 14:02:11 borg postfix/cleanup[2070]: B4693A377C: message-
> id=<201108221302.p7MD29Lf001711@borg.xxx.lan>
> Aug 22 14:02:11 borg postfix/qmgr[1499]: B4693A377C:
> from=<anne@borg.xxx.lan>,
> size=7487, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
> Aug 22 14:02:11 borg sendmail[1711]: p7MD29Lf001711: to=anne@xxx.org,
> ctladdr=anne (500/100), delay=00:00:02, xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=relay,
> pri=36877, relay=[127.0.0.1] [127.0.0.1], dsn=2.0.0, stat=Sent (Ok: queued
> as
> B4693A377C)
> Aug 22 14:02:11 borg postfix/smtpd[2067]: disconnect from
> borg.xxx.net[127.0.0.1]
> Aug 22 14:02:12 borg postfix/smtp[2071]: B4693A377C: to=<anne@xxx.org>,
> relay=mailhost.zen.co.uk[212.23.3.98]:25, delay=0.43,
> delays=0.09/0.02/0.15/0.18, dsn=5.0.0, status=bounced (host
> mailhost.zen.co.uk[212.23.3.98] said: 550-Verification failed for
> <anne@borg.xxx.lan> 550-Unrouteable address 550 Envelope Sender: Domain
> must
> resolve in DNS! (in reply to RCPT TO command))
> Aug 22 14:02:12 borg postfix/cleanup[2070]: 2EB94A371B: message-
> id=<20110822130212.2EB94A371B@borg>
> Aug 22 14:02:12 borg postfix/bounce[2072]: B4693A377C: sender non-delivery
> notification: 2EB94A371B
> Aug 22 14:02:12 borg postfix/qmgr[1499]: 2EB94A371B: from=<>, size=9481,
> nrcpt=1 (queue active)
> Aug 22 14:02:12 borg postfix/qmgr[1499]: B4693A377C: removed
> Aug 22 14:02:12 borg postfix/smtp[2071]: 2EB94A371B:
> to=<anne@borg.xxx.lan>,
> relay=mailhost.zen.co.uk[212.23.3.98]:25, delay=0.75,
> delays=0.04/0/0.16/0.54,
> dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (250 OK id=1QvU8e-00085m-9o)
> Aug 22 14:02:12 borg postfix/qmgr[1499]: 2EB94A371B: removed

> Anne

alternatives --config mta

Switch to Postfix. Validate by

alternatives --display mta

then remove Sendmail if you do not use it.

Alexander



_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 08-22-2011, 07:50 PM
Dennis Jacobfeuerborn
 
Default Not receiving root mail

One of the first things I do after the installation of a system is a yum
install postfix followed by a yum remove sendmail. No need to deal with
alternatives if you don't intend to deal with sendmail anyway.

Regards.
Dennis

On 08/22/2011 08:45 PM, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> It is obvious you run both Sendmail and Postfix, ending in trouble. The
> sendmail binary (which is a symlink) still points to Sendmail, though you
> seem to have configured Postfix as you system's MTA.
>
>> I have been careful to re-map transports and restart postfix after any
>> changes to the config files. The following from maillog may shed some
>> light as to where the problem lies:
>>
>> Aug 22 14:02:11 borg sendmail[1711]: p7MD29Lf001711: from=anne, size=6877,
>> class=0, nrcpts=1, msgid=<201108221302.p7MD29Lf001711@borg.xxx.lan>,
>> relay=root@localhost
>> Aug 22 14:02:11 borg postfix/smtpd[2067]: connect from
>> borg.xxx.net[127.0.0.1]
>> Aug 22 14:02:11 borg postfix/smtpd[2067]: B4693A377C:
>> client=borg.xxx.net[127.0.0.1]
>> Aug 22 14:02:11 borg postfix/cleanup[2070]: B4693A377C: message-
>> id=<201108221302.p7MD29Lf001711@borg.xxx.lan>
>> Aug 22 14:02:11 borg postfix/qmgr[1499]: B4693A377C:
>> from=<anne@borg.xxx.lan>,
>> size=7487, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
>> Aug 22 14:02:11 borg sendmail[1711]: p7MD29Lf001711: to=anne@xxx.org,
>> ctladdr=anne (500/100), delay=00:00:02, xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=relay,
>> pri=36877, relay=[127.0.0.1] [127.0.0.1], dsn=2.0.0, stat=Sent (Ok: queued
>> as
>> B4693A377C)
>> Aug 22 14:02:11 borg postfix/smtpd[2067]: disconnect from
>> borg.xxx.net[127.0.0.1]
>> Aug 22 14:02:12 borg postfix/smtp[2071]: B4693A377C: to=<anne@xxx.org>,
>> relay=mailhost.zen.co.uk[212.23.3.98]:25, delay=0.43,
>> delays=0.09/0.02/0.15/0.18, dsn=5.0.0, status=bounced (host
>> mailhost.zen.co.uk[212.23.3.98] said: 550-Verification failed for
>> <anne@borg.xxx.lan> 550-Unrouteable address 550 Envelope Sender: Domain
>> must
>> resolve in DNS! (in reply to RCPT TO command))
>> Aug 22 14:02:12 borg postfix/cleanup[2070]: 2EB94A371B: message-
>> id=<20110822130212.2EB94A371B@borg>
>> Aug 22 14:02:12 borg postfix/bounce[2072]: B4693A377C: sender non-delivery
>> notification: 2EB94A371B
>> Aug 22 14:02:12 borg postfix/qmgr[1499]: 2EB94A371B: from=<>, size=9481,
>> nrcpt=1 (queue active)
>> Aug 22 14:02:12 borg postfix/qmgr[1499]: B4693A377C: removed
>> Aug 22 14:02:12 borg postfix/smtp[2071]: 2EB94A371B:
>> to=<anne@borg.xxx.lan>,
>> relay=mailhost.zen.co.uk[212.23.3.98]:25, delay=0.75,
>> delays=0.04/0/0.16/0.54,
>> dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (250 OK id=1QvU8e-00085m-9o)
>> Aug 22 14:02:12 borg postfix/qmgr[1499]: 2EB94A371B: removed
>
>> Anne
>
> alternatives --config mta
>
> Switch to Postfix. Validate by
>
> alternatives --display mta
>
> then remove Sendmail if you do not use it.
>
> Alexander
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> CentOS mailing list
> CentOS@centos.org
> http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 08-23-2011, 06:47 AM
Anne Wilson
 
Default Not receiving root mail

On 22 August 2011 19:45, Alexander Dalloz <ad+lists@uni-x.org> wrote:
>
>> Anne
>
> alternatives --config mta
>
> Switch to Postfix. Validate by
>
> alternatives --display mta
>
> then remove Sendmail if you do not use it.
>

Thanks - that's what I was looking for.

alternatives --display mta
mta - status is manual.
link currently points to /usr/sbin/sendmail.postfix
/usr/sbin/sendmail.postfix - priority 30
slave mta-pam: /etc/pam.d/smtp.postfix
slave mta-mailq: /usr/bin/mailq.postfix
slave mta-newaliases: /usr/bin/newaliases.postfix
slave mta-rmail: /usr/bin/rmail.postfix
slave mta-sendmail: /usr/lib/sendmail.postfix
slave mta-mailqman: /usr/share/man/man1/mailq.postfix.1.gz
slave mta-newaliasesman: /usr/share/man/man1/newaliases.postfix.1.gz
slave mta-aliasesman: /usr/share/man/man5/aliases.postfix.5.gz
slave mta-sendmailman: /usr/share/man/man1/sendmail.postfix.1.gz
/usr/sbin/sendmail.sendmail - priority 90
slave mta-pam: /etc/pam.d/smtp.sendmail
slave mta-mailq: /usr/bin/mailq.sendmail
slave mta-newaliases: /usr/bin/newaliases.sendmail
slave mta-rmail: /usr/bin/rmail.sendmail
slave mta-sendmail: /usr/lib/sendmail.sendmail
slave mta-mailqman: /usr/share/man/man1/mailq.sendmail.1.gz
slave mta-newaliasesman: /usr/share/man/man1/newaliases.sendmail.1.gz
slave mta-aliasesman: /usr/share/man/man5/aliases.sendmail.5.gz
slave mta-sendmailman: /usr/share/man/man8/sendmail.sendmail.8.gz
Current `best' version is /usr/sbin/sendmail.sendmail.

I assume this means that sendmail.postfix will be used as preference,
but that last line confuses me. Is it safe to remove sendmail now, or
does that imply that some things will still need it?

Anne
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 08-23-2011, 07:30 AM
Anne Wilson
 
Default Not receiving root mail

On 23 August 2011 07:47, Anne Wilson <cannewilson@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 22 August 2011 19:45, Alexander Dalloz <ad+lists@uni-x.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Anne
>>
>> alternatives --config mta
>>
>> Switch to Postfix. Validate by
>>
>> alternatives --display mta
>>
>> then remove Sendmail if you do not use it.
>>
>
> Thanks - that's what I was looking for.
>
> alternatives --display mta
> mta - status is manual.
> link currently points to /usr/sbin/sendmail.postfix
> /usr/sbin/sendmail.postfix - priority 30
> slave mta-pam: /etc/pam.d/smtp.postfix
> slave mta-mailq: /usr/bin/mailq.postfix
> slave mta-newaliases: /usr/bin/newaliases.postfix
> slave mta-rmail: /usr/bin/rmail.postfix
> slave mta-sendmail: /usr/lib/sendmail.postfix
> slave mta-mailqman: /usr/share/man/man1/mailq.postfix.1.gz
> slave mta-newaliasesman: /usr/share/man/man1/newaliases.postfix.1.gz
> slave mta-aliasesman: /usr/share/man/man5/aliases.postfix.5.gz
> slave mta-sendmailman: /usr/share/man/man1/sendmail.postfix.1.gz
> /usr/sbin/sendmail.sendmail - priority 90
> slave mta-pam: /etc/pam.d/smtp.sendmail
> slave mta-mailq: /usr/bin/mailq.sendmail
> slave mta-newaliases: /usr/bin/newaliases.sendmail
> slave mta-rmail: /usr/bin/rmail.sendmail
> slave mta-sendmail: /usr/lib/sendmail.sendmail
> slave mta-mailqman: /usr/share/man/man1/mailq.sendmail.1.gz
> slave mta-newaliasesman: /usr/share/man/man1/newaliases.sendmail.1.gz
> slave mta-aliasesman: /usr/share/man/man5/aliases.sendmail.5.gz
> slave mta-sendmailman: /usr/share/man/man8/sendmail.sendmail.8.gz
> Current `best' version is /usr/sbin/sendmail.sendmail.
>
> I assume this means that sendmail.postfix will be used as preference,
> but that last line confuses me. *Is it safe to remove sendmail now, or
> does that imply that some things will still need it?
>
> Anne
>

A large step nearer. Mail is now being received. Unfortunately I
still can't send, so I need to find out why it isn't using the
Transport settings.

Anne
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 08-23-2011, 08:11 AM
Fajar Priyanto
 
Default Not receiving root mail

On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 9:29 PM, Anne Wilson <cannewilson@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Aug 22 14:02:11 borg postfix/qmgr[1499]: B4693A377C: from=<anne@borg.xxx.lan>,
> size=7487, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
> Aug 22 14:02:12 borg postfix/smtp[2071]: B4693A377C: to=<anne@xxx.org>,
> relay=mailhost.zen.co.uk[212.23.3.98]:25, delay=0.43,
>
> mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain, $mydomain, xxx.lan

Hi Anne
Found you again from Mandriva list years ago

I think you need to put xxx.org also in mydestination. So the mail
won't get through internet.
As you can see, it's sending to anne@xxx.org.

mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain, $mydomain, xxx.lan, xxx.org
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 08-23-2011, 08:51 AM
Anne Wilson
 
Default Not receiving root mail

On 23 August 2011 09:11, Fajar Priyanto <fajarpri@arinet.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 9:29 PM, Anne Wilson <cannewilson@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> Aug 22 14:02:11 borg postfix/qmgr[1499]: B4693A377C: from=<anne@borg.xxx.lan>,
>> size=7487, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
>> Aug 22 14:02:12 borg postfix/smtp[2071]: B4693A377C: to=<anne@xxx.org>,
>> relay=mailhost.zen.co.uk[212.23.3.98]:25, delay=0.43,
>>
>> mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain, $mydomain, xxx.lan
>
> Hi Anne
> Found you again from Mandriva list years ago
>
Hi. Good to talk to you a gain :-)

> I think you need to put xxx.org also in mydestination. So the mail
> won't get through internet.
> As you can see, it's sending to anne@xxx.org.
>
> mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain, $mydomain, xxx.lan, xxx.org

This morning I restored the old main.cf, which uses the old network
settings of xxx.net. Now mail is being received, but sending mail is
being refused by my server. I have two sending profiles - one that
sends to the server (CentOS 6), which then should use
/etc/postfix/transport to separate local mail and external mail,
sending the external mail to the ISP's smtp server. The second
profile is googlemail smtp, used when I'm away from home.

Whichever I try to use I get a message that my mail server has refused
the connection. I'm still trying to work out why. It sounds like
authentication problem, but I can't see why it's happening.

Anne
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 08-23-2011, 09:03 AM
Anne Wilson
 
Default Not receiving root mail

On 22 August 2011 20:50, Dennis Jacobfeuerborn <dennisml@conversis.de> wrote:
> One of the first things I do after the installation of a system is a yum
> install postfix followed by a yum remove sendmail. No need to deal with
> alternatives if you don't intend to deal with sendmail anyway.
>
I removed sendmail - but it also removed clamav-milter. When I tried
to re-install clamav-milter it would have pulled sendmail back in so I
aborted. Advice?
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 08-23-2011, 09:46 AM
 
Default Not receiving root mail

In article <CAJfU-f7nCz+iamXzg5rQ0VZAELctBCNcNFySYykAapXw5CeG6g@mail .gmail.com>,
Anne Wilson <cannewilson@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 22 August 2011 20:50, Dennis Jacobfeuerborn <dennisml@conversis.de> wrote:
> > One of the first things I do after the installation of a system is a yum
> > install postfix followed by a yum remove sendmail. No need to deal with
> > alternatives if you don't intend to deal with sendmail anyway.
> >
> I removed sendmail - but it also removed clamav-milter. When I tried
> to re-install clamav-milter it would have pulled sendmail back in so I
> aborted. Advice?

milters are specific to sendmail. clamav-milter is a linkage between
ClamAV and sendmail, so you don't need it with postfix. If you want to
use ClamAV, you will need to find out how to link it with postfix, but
it won't be by using clamav-milter.

Cheers
Tony

--
Tony Mountifield
Work: tony@softins.co.uk - http://www.softins.co.uk
Play: tony@mountifield.org - http://tony.mountifield.org
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 12:57 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org