Old 08-20-2011, 05:47 PM
Robert Arkiletian

Default Determine high i/o reads/write directories

I have a DRBL server, basically an nfs fileserver, which I am
rebuilding. I want to put the high i/o directories on a separate raid
array for performance. Currently everything is under / in one raid
array.

How can I tell which directories, obviously other than /home, are
getting high reads and/or writes? Any tools to measure i/o per
directory?

Thanks

--
Robert Arkiletian

Old 08-22-2011, 10:48 AM
"Joseph L. Casale"

>I have a DRBL server, basically an nfs fileserver, which I am rebuilding. I want to
>put the high i/o directories on a separate raid array for performance. Currently
>everything is under / in one raid array.
>
>How can I tell which directories, obviously other than /home, are getting high
>reads and/or writes? Any tools to measure i/o per directory?

Well there certainly might be better ways, but if iotop for example indicates a
process is producing high file IO, lsof -p <pid> will show which file.

Hth,
jlc