-   -   Determine high i/o reads/write directories (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/566393-determine-high-i-o-reads-write-directories.html)

Robert Arkiletian 08-20-2011 05:47 PM

Determine high i/o reads/write directories

I have a DRBL server, basically an nfs fileserver, which I am
rebuilding. I want to put the high i/o directories on a separate raid
array for performance. Currently everything is under / in one raid
array.

How can I tell which directories, obviously other than /home, are
getting high reads and/or writes? Any tools to measure i/o per
directory?

Thanks

--
Robert Arkiletian

"Joseph L. Casale" 08-22-2011 10:48 AM

Determine high i/o reads/write directories

>I have a DRBL server, basically an nfs fileserver, which I am rebuilding. I want to
>put the high i/o directories on a separate raid array for performance. Currently
>everything is under / in one raid array.
>
>How can I tell which directories, obviously other than /home, are getting high
>reads and/or writes? Any tools to measure i/o per directory?

Well there certainly might be better ways, but if iotop for example indicates a
process is producing high file IO, lsof -p <pid> will show which file.

Hth,
jlc