Old 08-20-2011, 10:35 AM
Anne Wilson

Default Fedora and CentOS no longer on speaking terms - SOLVED

On Friday 19 Aug 2011 15:39:12 Anne Wilson wrote:
> I have just upgraded my server from CentOS 5 to CentOS 6 and am having
> connectivity problems. My laptop runs Fedora 14, and I have been in the
> habit of mounting data partitions on my server by fstab entries. Since
> the update I've not been able to do that. On watching the messages during
> a reboot I saw a statement that the connection was denied by the server
> (where are those messages stored so that I can quote accurately?).
>
> I have temporarily disabled both the firewall and selinux, and the problem
> persists, so clearly they are not the cause. Logwatch has the following
> section which may or may not be connected:
>
> --------------------- Connections (secure-log) Begin
> ------------------------
>

> Userhelper executed applications:
> anne -> system-config-users as root: 1 Time(s)
>
> **Unmatched Entries**
> polkitd(authority=local): Operator of unix-
> session:/org/freedesktop/ConsoleKit/Session2 successfully authenticated as
> unix-user:root to gain TEMPORARY authorization for action
> org.fedoraproject.config.firewall.auth for system-bus-name::1.88
> [/usr/bin/python /usr/bin/system-config-firewall] (owned by
> unix-user:anne): 1 Time(s)
> polkitd(authority=local): Registered Authentication Agent for session
> /org/freedesktop/ConsoleKit/Session1 (system bus name :1.24
> [/usr/libexec/polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1], object path
> /org/gnome/PolicyKit1/AuthenticationAgent, locale en_US.UTF-8): 1 Time(s)
> polkitd(authority=local): Registered Authentication Agent for session
> /org/freedesktop/ConsoleKit/Session2 (system bus name :1.45
> [/usr/libexec/polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1], object path
> /org/gnome/PolicyKit1/AuthenticationAgent, locale en_GB.utf8): 1 Time(s)
> polkitd(authority=local): Unregistered Authentication Agent for session
> /org/freedesktop/ConsoleKit/Session1 (system bus name :1.24, object path
> /org/gnome/PolicyKit1/AuthenticationAgent, locale en_US.UTF-8)
> (disconnected from bus): 1 Time(s)
> polkitd(authority=local): Unregistered Authentication Agent for session
> /org/freedesktop/ConsoleKit/Session6 (system bus name :1.214, object path
> /org/gnome/PolicyKit1/AuthenticationAgent, locale en_GB.utf8) (disconnected
> from bus): 1 Time(s)
>
> ---------------------- Connections (secure-log) End
> -------------------------
>
> An example fstab line is
>
> /Data1 /nfs4exports/Data1 none bind 0 0
>
> Under CentOS 5 this was mounted by the exports line:
>
> /nfs4exports/Data1 192.168.0.0/24(rw,insecure,no_subtree_check,nohide)
>
> Following advice, I have changed this to:
>
> /Data1/ 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0 *(rw,sync,insecure,no_all_squash)
>
> That hasn't helped at all.
>
> I'm completely at a loss, and really need to get this connection working
> again. I've done lots of googling and reading, but just feel to be digging
> an ever-deeper hole. All help appreciated.

I was certain I had missed some steps in setting up the exports, but simply
could not remember them. Nor could I find the guide that got me started
before. This morning I found it. I cannot recommend this guide too highly -
so you might like to bookmark it for a reference sheet - for next time someone
asks you for help :-)

http://www.crazysquirrel.com/computing/debian/servers/setting-up-nfs4.jspx

Thanks, everyone, for trying to help.

Anne

Old 08-20-2011, 05:31 PM
James Hogarth

> I was certain I had missed some steps in setting up the exports, but simply
> could not remember them. *Nor could I find the guide that got me started
> before. *This morning I found it. *I cannot recommend this guide too highly -
> so you might like to bookmark it for a reference sheet - for next time someone
> asks you for help :-)
>
> http://www.crazysquirrel.com/computing/debian/servers/setting-up-nfs4.jspx
>
> Thanks, everyone, for trying to help.

Just one thing to note... RHEL6/CentOS6 no longer requires the bind
mounts or fsid=0 on the NFS host... the system now defaults to NFS4
being tried first and does some stuff in the background so that the
bindings and fsid=0 is not required... in principle (barring nfs4
specific options) the same exportfs line can be used for nfs3 or
nfs4.... this is a change from 5.X... I thought it was in the release
notes, technical notes or migration guide but I can't locate the
relevant entry now...