Old 08-19-2011, 02:39 PM
Anne Wilson

Default Fedora and CentOS no longer on speaking terms

I have just upgraded my server from CentOS 5 to CentOS 6 and am having
connectivity problems. My laptop runs Fedora 14, and I have been in the habit
of mounting data partitions on my server by fstab entries. Since the update
I've not been able to do that. On watching the messages during a reboot I saw
a statement that the connection was denied by the server (where are those
messages stored so that I can quote accurately?).

I have temporarily disabled both the firewall and selinux, and the problem
persists, so clearly they are not the cause. Logwatch has the following
section which may or may not be connected:

--------------------- Connections (secure-log) Begin ------------------------

Userhelper executed applications:
anne -> system-config-users as root: 1 Time(s)

**Unmatched Entries**
polkitd(authority=local): Operator of unix-
session:/org/freedesktop/ConsoleKit/Session2 successfully authenticated as
unix-user:root to gain TEMPORARY authorization for action
org.fedoraproject.config.firewall.auth for system-bus-name::1.88
[/usr/bin/python /usr/bin/system-config-firewall] (owned by unix-user:anne): 1
Time(s)
polkitd(authority=local): Registered Authentication Agent for session
/org/freedesktop/ConsoleKit/Session1 (system bus name :1.24
[/usr/libexec/polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1], object path
/org/gnome/PolicyKit1/AuthenticationAgent, locale en_US.UTF-8): 1 Time(s)
polkitd(authority=local): Registered Authentication Agent for session
/org/freedesktop/ConsoleKit/Session2 (system bus name :1.45
[/usr/libexec/polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1], object path
/org/gnome/PolicyKit1/AuthenticationAgent, locale en_GB.utf8): 1 Time(s)
polkitd(authority=local): Unregistered Authentication Agent for session
/org/freedesktop/ConsoleKit/Session1 (system bus name :1.24, object path
/org/gnome/PolicyKit1/AuthenticationAgent, locale en_US.UTF-8) (disconnected
from bus): 1 Time(s)
polkitd(authority=local): Unregistered Authentication Agent for session
/org/freedesktop/ConsoleKit/Session6 (system bus name :1.214, object path
/org/gnome/PolicyKit1/AuthenticationAgent, locale en_GB.utf8) (disconnected
from bus): 1 Time(s)

---------------------- Connections (secure-log) End -------------------------

An example fstab line is

/Data1 /nfs4exports/Data1 none bind 0 0

Under CentOS 5 this was mounted by the exports line:

/nfs4exports/Data1 192.168.0.0/24(rw,insecure,no_subtree_check,nohide)

Following advice, I have changed this to:

/Data1/ 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0 *(rw,sync,insecure,no_all_squash)

That hasn't helped at all.

I'm completely at a loss, and really need to get this connection working
again. I've done lots of googling and reading, but just feel to be digging an
ever-deeper hole. All help appreciated.

Anne

Old 08-19-2011, 02:43 PM
Tony Schreiner

On Aug 19, 2011, at 10:39 AM, Anne Wilson wrote:

> [...]
> /org/freedesktop/ConsoleKit/Session6 (system bus name :1.214, object
> path
> /org/gnome/PolicyKit1/AuthenticationAgent, locale en_GB.utf8)
> (disconnected
> from bus): 1 Time(s)
>
> ---------------------- Connections (secure-log) End
> -------------------------
>
> An example fstab line is
>
> /Data1 /nfs4exports/Data1 none bind 0 0
>
> Under CentOS 5 this was mounted by the exports line:
>
> /nfs4exports/Data1
> 192.168.0.0/24(rw,insecure,no_subtree_check,nohide)
>
> Following advice, I have changed this to:
>
> /Data1/ 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0 *(rw,sync,insecure,no_all_squash)
>
> That hasn't helped at all.
>
> I'm completely at a loss, and really need to get this connection
> working
> again. I've done lots of googling and reading, but just feel to be

NFS v4 problems maybe. Try setting a value for Domain in

/etc/idmapd.conf

on both systems (the same for both).

Tony

Old 08-19-2011, 04:23 PM
Anne Wilson

On Friday 19 Aug 2011 15:43:23 Tony Schreiner wrote:
> [...]
> > (disconnected
> > from bus): 1 Time(s)
> >
> > ---------------------- Connections (secure-log) End
> > -------------------------
> >
> > An example fstab line is
> >
> > /Data1 /nfs4exports/Data1 none bind 0 0
> >
> > Under CentOS 5 this was mounted by the exports line:
> >
> > /nfs4exports/Data1
> > 192.168.0.0/24(rw,insecure,no_subtree_check,nohide)
> >
> > Following advice, I have changed this to:
> >
> > /Data1/ 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0 *(rw,sync,insecure,no_all_squash)
> >
> > That hasn't helped at all.
> >
> > I'm completely at a loss, and really need to get this connection
> > working
> > again. I've done lots of googling and reading, but just feel to be
> > digging an
> > ever-deeper hole. All help appreciated.
> >
> > Anne

> NFS v4 problems maybe. Try setting a value for Domain in

That gave me an unbootable system. I've removed it, and am back at square 1.
Two things -

I should have said that I can access the system from the laptop using ssh +
keys.

During bootup I saw many messages about nfs4 exports failing, so that's whre
the problem is, it seems. Can you please give me a sample line of a known
good nfs4 export?

Anne

Old 08-19-2011, 04:46 PM
Anne Wilson

On Friday 19 Aug 2011 17:23:34 Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Friday 19 Aug 2011 15:43:23 Tony Schreiner wrote:
> >
> > NFS v4 problems maybe. Try setting a value for Domain in
> >
> > /etc/idmapd.conf
> >
> > on both systems (the same for both).
>
> That gave me an unbootable system. I've removed it, and am back at square
> 1. Two things -
>
> I should have said that I can access the system from the laptop using ssh +
> keys.
>
> During bootup I saw many messages about nfs4 exports failing, so that's
> whre the problem is, it seems. Can you please give me a sample line of a
> known good nfs4 export?

It's hard to be sure when messages flash by so quickly, but I got the
impression that there was something about fstab. Maybe the format required
for those lines has changed, too? These are the lines that I guess it is
looking at:

/Data1 /nfs4exports/Data1 none bind 0 0
/Data2 /nfs4exports/Data2 none` bind 0 0
/Data3 /nfs4exports/Data3 none bind 0 0
/home /nfs4exports/home none bind 0 0

I think there was something about wrong or missing type. Each of those
partitions is defined earlier in fstab and does have the correct type stated.

Anne

Old 08-19-2011, 06:26 PM
Tony Schreiner

> [...]

> /org/freedesktop/ConsoleKit/Session6 (system bus name :1.214, object
> path
> /org/gnome/PolicyKit1/AuthenticationAgent, locale en_GB.utf8)
> (disconnected
> from bus): 1 Time(s)
>
> ---------------------- Connections (secure-log) End
> -------------------------
>
> An example fstab line is
>
> /Data1 /nfs4exports/Data1 none bind 0 0
>
> Under CentOS 5 this was mounted by the exports line:
>
> /nfs4exports/Data1
> 192.168.0.0/24(rw,insecure,no_subtree_check,nohide)
>
> Following advice, I have changed this to:
>
> /Data1/ 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0 *(rw,sync,insecure,no_all_squash)
>
> That hasn't helped at all.
>
> I'm completely at a loss, and really need to get this connection
> working
> again. I've done lots of googling and reading, but just feel to be

I didn't read your original post carefully enough the first time.

You show the exports file, but nowhere do I see a reference of how the
client is mounting the export from the server. THe bind mounts above
are remounting a local file system in a different location, they do
not mount an NFS share from an external server. Usually it looks
something like this:

server:/share /local/mount nfs defaults 0 0

(obviously defaults can instead be specific options)

Old 08-20-2011, 02:41 AM
Craig White

On Fri, 2011-08-19 at 17:46 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Friday 19 Aug 2011 17:23:34 Anne Wilson wrote:
> > On Friday 19 Aug 2011 15:43:23 Tony Schreiner wrote:
> > >
> > > NFS v4 problems maybe. Try setting a value for Domain in
> > >
> > > /etc/idmapd.conf
> > >
> > > on both systems (the same for both).
> >
> > That gave me an unbootable system. I've removed it, and am back at square
> > 1. Two things -
> >
> > I should have said that I can access the system from the laptop using ssh +
> > keys.
> >
> > During bootup I saw many messages about nfs4 exports failing, so that's
> > whre the problem is, it seems. Can you please give me a sample line of a
> > known good nfs4 export?
> >
> It's hard to be sure when messages flash by so quickly, but I got the
> impression that there was something about fstab. Maybe the format required
> for those lines has changed, too? These are the lines that I guess it is
> looking at:
>
> /Data1 /nfs4exports/Data1 none bind 0 0
> /Data2 /nfs4exports/Data2 none` bind 0 0
> /Data3 /nfs4exports/Data3 none bind 0 0
> /home /nfs4exports/home none bind 0 0
>
> I think there was something about wrong or missing type. Each of those
> partitions is defined earlier in fstab and does have the correct type stated.
----
this is obviously intended to be your NFS server (who knows whether this
is CentOS or Fedora 14). You can only bind mount something that already
exists and maybe it's empty.

does ls -l /Data1 /Data2 /Data3 /home show much of anything?

On the other system (the NFS client), what does it have in fstab?

Craig

believed to be clean.

Old 08-20-2011, 08:38 AM
Anne Wilson

On Saturday 20 Aug 2011 03:41:12 Craig White wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-08-19 at 17:46 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:

> > > That gave me an unbootable system. I've removed it, and am back at
> > > square 1. Two things -
> > >
> > > I should have said that I can access the system from the laptop using
> > > ssh + keys.
> > >
> > > During bootup I saw many messages about nfs4 exports failing, so that's
> > > whre the problem is, it seems. Can you please give me a sample line
> > > of a known good nfs4 export?
> >
> > It's hard to be sure when messages flash by so quickly, but I got the
> > impression that there was something about fstab. Maybe the format
> > required for those lines has changed, too? These are the lines that I
> > guess it is looking at:
> >
> > /Data1 /nfs4exports/Data1 none bind 0 0
> > /Data2 /nfs4exports/Data2 none` bind 0 0
> > /Data3 /nfs4exports/Data3 none bind 0 0
> > /home /nfs4exports/home none bind 0 0
> >
> > I think there was something about wrong or missing type. Each of those
> > partitions is defined earlier in fstab and does have the correct type
> > stated.
>
> ----
> this is obviously intended to be your NFS server (who knows whether this
> is CentOS or Fedora 14).

The server is CentOS 6.

> You can only bind mount something that already
> exists and maybe it's empty.
>
> does ls -l /Data1 /Data2 /Data3 /home show much of anything?

Yes, it lists the contents of each of them.

> On the other system (the NFS client), what does it have in fstab?

192.168.0.40:/Data1 /mnt/borg_Data1 nfs4 rsize=8192,wsize=8192,timeo=14,intr 0
0
and equivalents for each of the others.

As I said originally, these lines worked with nfs4 on CentOS 5.

Anne

Old 08-20-2011, 11:05 AM
Craig White

On Sat, 2011-08-20 at 09:38 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Saturday 20 Aug 2011 03:41:12 Craig White wrote:

> > > It's hard to be sure when messages flash by so quickly, but I got the
> > > impression that there was something about fstab. Maybe the format
> > > required for those lines has changed, too? These are the lines that I
> > > guess it is looking at:
> > >
> > > /Data1 /nfs4exports/Data1 none bind 0 0
> > > /Data2 /nfs4exports/Data2 none` bind 0 0
> > > /Data3 /nfs4exports/Data3 none bind 0 0
> > > /home /nfs4exports/home none bind 0 0
> > >
> > > I think there was something about wrong or missing type. Each of those
> > > partitions is defined earlier in fstab and does have the correct type
> > > stated.
> >
> > ----
> > this is obviously intended to be your NFS server (who knows whether this
> > is CentOS or Fedora 14).
>
> The server is CentOS 6.
>
> > You can only bind mount something that already
> > exists and maybe it's empty.
> >
> > does ls -l /Data1 /Data2 /Data3 /home show much of anything?
>
> Yes, it lists the contents of each of them.
> >
> > On the other system (the NFS client), what does it have in fstab?
>
> 192.168.0.40:/Data1 /mnt/borg_Data1 nfs4 rsize=8192,wsize=8192,timeo=14,intr 0
> 0
> and equivalents for each of the others.
>
> As I said originally, these lines worked with nfs4 on CentOS 5.
----
then issuing the command (on the Fedora client)

mount /mnt/borg_Data1
should either work or fail and give you a message (at worst, log
to /var/log/messages).

This of course assumes that it isn't already mounted which could be
noted by simply issuing a 'mount' command by itself to see what is
mounted.

You may have to check /var/log/messages on the CentOS server for clues
too.

Craig

believed to be clean.

Old 08-20-2011, 11:40 AM
Anne Wilson

On Saturday 20 Aug 2011 12:05:51 Craig White wrote:
> On Sat, 2011-08-20 at 09:38 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:

> > > ----
> > > this is obviously intended to be your NFS server (who knows whether
> > > this is CentOS or Fedora 14).
> >
> > The server is CentOS 6.
> >
> > > You can only bind mount something that already
> > > exists and maybe it's empty.
> > >
> > > does ls -l /Data1 /Data2 /Data3 /home show much of anything?
> >
> > Yes, it lists the contents of each of them.
> >
> > > On the other system (the NFS client), what does it have in fstab?
> >
> > 192.168.0.40:/Data1 /mnt/borg_Data1 nfs4
> > rsize=8192,wsize=8192,timeo=14,intr 0
> >
> > 0
> >
> > and equivalents for each of the others.
> >
> > As I said originally, these lines worked with nfs4 on CentOS 5.
>
> ----
> then issuing the command (on the Fedora client)
>
> mount /mnt/borg_Data1
> should either work or fail and give you a message (at worst, log
> to /var/log/messages).
>
> This of course assumes that it isn't already mounted which could be
> noted by simply issuing a 'mount' command by itself to see what is
> mounted.
>
> You may have to check /var/log/messages on the CentOS server for clues
> too.

Every attempt to mount was simply hanging - so no help at all. However, as
you will have seen by now, the problem is solved. I was right that I had
missed some steps, and you were right that the mount points at the server end
were not correctly set up. The guide on
http://www.crazysquirrel.com/computing/debian/servers/setting-up-nfs4.jspx has
got everything working again.

Thanks for trying to help.

Anne

Old 08-20-2011, 11:45 AM
John Hodrien

On Sat, 20 Aug 2011, Anne Wilson wrote:

> Every attempt to mount was simply hanging - so no help at all. However, as
> you will have seen by now, the problem is solved. I was right that I had
> missed some steps, and you were right that the mount points at the server end
> were not correctly set up. The guide on
> http://www.crazysquirrel.com/computing/debian/servers/setting-up-nfs4.jspx has
> got everything working again.
>
> Thanks for trying to help.

I'd also suggest that you'd be better to not have these mounted directly from
fstab. Make a simple automounter map for these and your life is all round
less troublesome. You'll not suffer anywhere near as badly when an nfs mount
is unavailable, and it'll recover gracefully once it's available again.

jh