Old 08-20-2011, 03:10 PM
Robert Heller

Default PHP 5.3: IUS vs CentOS repos

> On Sat, 2011-08-20 at 07:43 -0400, Robert Heller wrote:
>
> > (I did some magic with rpm -qa php* & sed to get the proper list of
> > stuff to remove and then install.)
>
> One does not require the '

One does for tcsh. Bash is different.

Old 08-20-2011, 05:29 PM
John R Pierce

On 08/20/11 4:43 AM, Robert Heller wrote:
> Different issues. php53*replaces* php. I did this on both a A CentOS
> 4 and two CentOS 5 machines. Mostly painless -- just needed to

pg x.y versions prior to 9.0 replaced the PG 8.1 that came in EL5 (9.0
and later install to new directories so they can exist side by side).
further, the newer libpq isn't directly compatible with the older libpq,
so this compat-libs package provides a 'shim' library to fake the older
version.

$ rpm -qf /usr/lib/libpq.so.4.1
compat-postgresql-libs-4-1PGDG.rhel5
$ rpm -qf /usr/lib/libpq.so.5.1
postgresql-libs-8.3.11-1PGDG.el5

--
john r pierce N 37, W 122
santa cruz ca mid-left coast

Old 08-20-2011, 05:33 PM
James Hogarth

> pg x.y versions prior to 9.0 replaced the PG 8.1 that came in EL5 (9.0
> and later install to new directories so they can exist side by side).
> further, the newer libpq isn't directly compatible with the older libpq,
> so this compat-libs package provides a 'shim' library to fake the older
> version.
>
> * * $ rpm -qf /usr/lib/libpq.so.4.1
> * * compat-postgresql-libs-4-1PGDG.rhel5
> * * $ rpm -qf /usr/lib/libpq.so.5.1
> * * postgresql-libs-8.3.11-1PGDG.el5

That looks like the PGDG postgres repos to me and not the distribution
postgres package, What is done there is pretty much out of scope for
that which Redhat does for their postgres/postgres84 packaging.

Old 08-20-2011, 05:42 PM
John R Pierce

On 08/20/11 10:33 AM, James Hogarth wrote:
> That looks like the PGDG postgres repos to me and not the distribution
> postgres package, What is done there is pretty much out of scope for
> that which Redhat does for their postgres/postgres84 packaging.

yes, it is, but my point was, 'we' (or rather RH) could learn a trick or
two from that. simply providing a dummy RPM that had dependencies on
php53 and provides php would resolve these issues, unless there's an
older package dependent on php that flat doesn't work on php53.

--
john r pierce N 37, W 122
santa cruz ca mid-left coast