Old 08-18-2011, 04:25 PM
Eero Volotinen

Default stupid question about kickstart file

Hi,

Is is possible to use kickstart file to install rhel from dvd drive?
Mainly idea is to clone one anaconda.ks file to about twenty
machines.?
examples? ftp/http/dhcp is not possible due to network limitations.

--
Eero

Old 08-18-2011, 04:39 PM
"Joseph L. Casale"

>Is is possible to use kickstart file to install rhel from dvd drive?
>Mainly idea is to clone one anaconda.ks file to about twenty
>machines.?
>examples? ftp/http/dhcp is not possible due to network limitations.

Of course. Check the manual, it specifies places to look when you specify
the ks file in the append section.

Old 08-18-2011, 05:15 PM
Tom H

On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 12:25 PM, Eero Volotinen <eero.volotinen@iki.fi> wrote:

> Is is possible to use kickstart file to install rhel from dvd drive?
> Mainly idea is to clone one anaconda.ks file to about twenty
> machines.?
> examples? ftp/http/dhcp is not possible due to network limitations.

I do this when creating VirtualBox VMs on my MacBook.

Boot from the DVD/ISO, press "tab" at the first install screen, and
point to your ks file with "ks=,,,".

Old 08-18-2011, 06:35 PM
"Joseph L. Casale"

>Boot from the DVD/ISO, press "tab" at the first install screen, and
>point to your ks file with "ks=,,,".

Right, but that doesn't answer his question. The op does not have
ip connectivity:

http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Installation_Guide/s1-kickstart2-startinginstall.html

Old 08-18-2011, 11:23 PM
Ross Walker

On Aug 18, 2011, at 12:25 PM, Eero Volotinen <eero.volotinen@iki.fi> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is is possible to use kickstart file to install rhel from dvd drive?
> Mainly idea is to clone one anaconda.ks file to about twenty
> machines.?
> examples? ftp/http/dhcp is not possible due to network limitations.

Create a USB install thumb drive with the ISO on it, from an installed system loop mount the iso file read/write, overwrite the anaconda.ks with the custom one, umount, then the next install should use the custom anaconda.ks.

Use the wiki to find out how to create a USB install, author ISO files and custom kickstarts.

If it really must be by DVD then you'll need to burn the modified ISO.

-Ross

Old 08-19-2011, 09:34 AM
John Doe

From: Eero Volotinen <eero.volotinen@iki.fi>

> Is is possible to use kickstart file to install rhel from dvd drive?
> Mainly idea is to clone one anaconda.ks file to about twenty
> machines.?

Something like (that was for 5.x):
* mount $MYISO /mnt/cdrom -t iso9660 -o loop
* cp -a /mnt/cdrom /tmp/cdrom
* cp ks.cfg /tmp/cdrom/
* vim isolinux/isolinux.cfg
* * default linux ks=cdrom:/ks.cfg
* # Not sure if still need or why: chmod u+w isolinux/*
* cd /tmp
* mkisofs -o full.iso -b isolinux/isolinux.bin -c isolinux/boot.cat -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -R -J -v -T cdrom

JD

Old 08-19-2011, 11:12 AM
"Lisandro Grullon"

It is certainly possible, but why would you do that since DVD let alone CDROM drives are so slow...why don't you try it via network using HTTPD or vsFTP...its much quicker and u can make it all automated...something to think about.

Old 08-19-2011, 11:06 PM
Tom H

On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 2:35 PM, Joseph L. Casale
<jcasale@activenetwerx.com> wrote:

>>Boot from the DVD/ISO, press "tab" at the first install screen, and
>>point to your ks file with "ks=,,,".
>
> Right, but that doesn't answer his question. The op does not have
> ip connectivity:
>
> http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Installation_Guide/s1-kickstart2-startinginstall.html

"network limitations" can also mean that the OP doesn't want to
download all the packages from his network not that the network's
unavailable...