Old 08-18-2011, 10:06 AM
Always Learning

Default which firewall to automatically block bandwidth abusers?

On Thu, 2011-08-18 at 11:36 +0200, Marc Deop i Argem* wrote:

> > http://tinyurl.com/3n5yn8u

It gives me:-

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=traffic+accounting

which displays a Google search box and an advertisement with nothing
about Traffic or about Accounting.

--
With best regards,

Paul.
England,
EU.

N��

Old 08-18-2011, 06:52 PM
Always Learning

On Thu, 2011-08-18 at 20:45 +0200, Rudi Ahlers wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 7:20 PM, Patrick Lists
> <centos-list@puzzled.xs4all.nl> wrote:

> >> It gives me:-
> >>
> >> http://lmgtfy.com/?q=traffic+accounting
> >>
> >> which displays a Google search box and an advertisement with nothing
> >> about Traffic or about Accounting.
> >
> > Lmgtfy means "let me google that for you". Posting such an url is a
> > pretty standard response to people who ask for help without first making
> > an effort to find some answers (by googling, etc.). The hint is: do your
> > homework first and don't expect spoonfeeding.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Patrick
>

> And you obviously think I didn't do my homework?
>

> Did you see my specific requirement? Or did you just see "how" and
> "firewall" and assumed "google" ?

Perhaps Patrick was doing his own huiswerk and was too busy being spoon
fed by his mooi buurvrouwje ;-)

--
With best regards,

Paul.
England,
EU.

Old 08-18-2011, 07:09 PM
Always Learning

On Thu, 2011-08-18 at 21:01 +0200, Rudi Ahlers wrote:

> I need to automatically block any user who abuses bandwidth, either
> incoming or outgoing. I should be able to set the limits, in either
> rate/s or usage/s: 1Mb/s or 10GB/h, for example.

First question is:

(a) how can you get the IP address ?

(b) how can you introduce a, or use an existing, system to record and
store the data amounts (bandwidth) and IP addresses ?

(c) how long will this information be retained before being discarded ?

(d) how can you monitor on every change to the data amount ?

(e) will it do both IP4 and IP6 ?

(f) what mechanism can you use to block the IP address ... IP Tables via
simple BASH command ?

Its an interesting requirement.

--
With best regards,

Paul.
England,
EU.

Old 08-18-2011, 07:21 PM
Always Learning

If there isn't an existing system, or systems you can use together, your
only alternative is to create a system to satisfy your requirement. I
was speculating on the essentials.

--
With best regards,

Paul.
England,
EU.

Old 08-18-2011, 07:33 PM
Patrick Lists

On 08/18/2011 08:45 PM, Rudi Ahlers wrote:
> And you obviously think I didn't do my homework?
>
> Did you see my specific requirement? Or did you just see "how" and
> "firewall" and assumed "google" ?

I was not referring to you Rudi. Merely pointing out the lmgtfy concept
which imho seemed lost on Paul.

And yes I did look at your requirements but don't have the answer for
you. Maybe a combination of iptables and tc perhaps with connection
tracking thrown in?

Regards,
Patrick

Old 08-18-2011, 07:46 PM
Patrick Lists

On 08/18/2011 09:31 PM, Rudi Ahlers wrote:
[snip]
> I have read through that document link on
> http://lartc.org/lartc.html#AEN1393 and the closest I could get is
> rate limiting, but that doesn't actually block the IP if it goes over
> a certain threshold, it just slows everything down.

How about the netfilter quota, fuzzy and iplimit extensions?

http://www.netfilter.org/documentation/HOWTO/netfilter-extensions-HOWTO.html#toc3.4

http://www.netfilter.org/documentation/HOWTO/netfilter-extensions-HOWTO.html#toc3.5

http://www.netfilter.org/documentation/HOWTO/netfilter-extensions-HOWTO-3.html#ss3.13

Regards,
Patrick

Old 08-18-2011, 10:52 PM
Always Learning

On Thu, 2011-08-18 at 21:27 +0200, Rudi Ahlers wrote:

> Bandwidth in our country is exuberantly expensive, probably about 20x
> the price of bandwidth in the USA

Een oplossing voor Zuid Afrika ?

If your country has good internal Internet connections, host the site in
Europe or the USA where bandwidth is a lot cheaper ?

--
With best regards,

Paul.
England,
EU.

Old 08-18-2011, 10:53 PM
John Jasen

Apologies for top posting.

I fear you will either have to work with cacti bandwidth alerts,
figuring out how to grab the client IP and push it into iptables; find
another way to get the client IP out of cacti and into iptables; or look
into the QoS capabilities within Linux.

--
-- John Jasen (jjasen@realityfailure.org)
-- No one will sorrow for me when I die, because those who would

Old 08-18-2011, 10:57 PM
Always Learning

On Thu, 2011-08-18 at 21:56 +0200, Rudi Ahlers wrote:

> BUT, if Steve changes his IP to circumvent the block, then his new IP
> should be blocked as well.

How will you know Steve has successfully circumvented your block until
until the same Steve, with IP2, eventually exceeds the 'quota' ?

And if Steve gets away with that, he can probably try again with IP3 and
IP4 etc. - making a mockery of your bandwidth restriction.

--
With best regards,

Paul.
England,