Old 08-17-2011, 07:03 PM
Mitch Patenaude

Default OpenLDAP setup and bootstraping in CentOS 6

I'm having trouble getting openldap through its initial setup.

I created a /etc/openldap/slap.conf file with a default rootdn and rootpw, and they didn't seem to take effect. *After much wailing and gnashing of teeth I found that if there is a config directory at /etc/openldap/slapd.d, it will ignore slapd.conf. *I
can't figure out how to translate slapd.conf into the (new?) standard of slapd.d because all the examples I can find still use slapd.conf. *

Am I better off just deleting (or renaming) slapd.d? *Does anybody know the proper format for slapd.d entries?

Thanks,
** -- Mitch Patenaude

Old 08-17-2011, 07:10 PM
Scott Robbins

On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 07:03:28PM +0000, Mitch Patenaude wrote:
> I'm having trouble getting openldap through its initial setup.
>
> I created a /etc/openldap/slap.conf file with a default rootdn and rootpw, and
> they didn't seem to take effect. After much wailing and gnashing of teeth I
> found that if there is a config directory at /etc/openldap/slapd.d, it will
> ignore slapd.conf. I can't figure out how to translate slapd.conf into the
> (new?) standard of slapd.d because all the examples I can find still use
> slapd.conf.
>
> Am I better off just deleting (or renaming) slapd.d? Does anybody know the
> proper format for slapd.d entries?

I might as well spam my own page (where I suggest deleting it) for LDAP.

http://home.roadrunner.com/~computertaijutsu/ldap.html

I don't know of anyone who got it working with that slap.d, nor have I
seen any documentation on it--on the other hand, I didn't look very
hard. I would almost guarantee it adds no new advantages.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Buffy: Could I be seeing Billy's asteroid body?
Giles: Astral body, and I don't know.

Old 08-17-2011, 07:37 PM
Josh Miller

On 08/17/2011 12:03 PM, Mitch Patenaude wrote:
> I created a /etc/openldap/slap.conf file with a default rootdn and
> rootpw, and they didn't seem to take effect. After much wailing and
> gnashing of teeth I found that if there is a config directory at
> /etc/openldap/slapd.d, it will ignore slapd.conf. I can't figure out how
> to translate slapd.conf into the (new?) standard of slapd.d because all
> the examples I can find still use slapd.conf.
>
> Am I better off just deleting (or renaming) slapd.d? Does anybody know
> the proper format for slapd.d entries?

You'd be best off learning the new method of configuration as I've heard
rumors that the slapd.conf file will be deprecated at some point.

Here you can find some additional information:
http://www.zytrax.com/books/ldap/ch6/slapd-config.html

Basically, any slap* command which can reference a file will perform the
conversion.

HTH,
--
Josh Miller