Old 08-17-2011, 01:32 AM
david

Default Centos Gotcha: YUM Groupinstall

Folks

I have encountered a situation with YUM that isn't what I expected.

Let's suppose I want to install a group, call it G. My first
question would be -- is the group already installed. Realize all of
this is scripted.

So, I use
yum groupinfo
and I see the list of installed groups, and those not yet installed.

If group G is in the list of installed groups, one would think that
there's no point in issuing a "groupinstall".

But, to my surprise, a group can be listed as "installed", only to
find that a groupinstall will actually do a lot of installs.

So, I had to adapt my script to perform a "groupinfo G", parse the
modules, and individually test them to see if they need installation.

I do not understand this behavior -- group G is shown as "installed",
but it really isn't.

David Kurn

Old 08-17-2011, 02:13 AM
Robert Heller

> Folks
>
> I have encountered a situation with YUM that isn't what I expected.
>
> Let's suppose I want to install a group, call it G. My first
> question would be -- is the group already installed. Realize all of
> this is scripted.
>
> So, I use
> yum groupinfo
> and I see the list of installed groups, and those not yet installed.
>
> If group G is in the list of installed groups, one would think that
> there's no point in issuing a "groupinstall".
>
> But, to my surprise, a group can be listed as "installed", only to
> find that a groupinstall will actually do a lot of installs.
>
> So, I had to adapt my script to perform a "groupinfo G", parse the
> modules, and individually test them to see if they need installation.
>
> I do not understand this behavior -- group G is shown as "installed",
> but it really isn't.

I think what is happening is that some sub-set of group G, probably to
satisfy various dependcies for rpms in group A, B and F (say). Elements
of Group G have been installed, but not ALL of group G has been
installed, and thus group G is *partitically* installed. In a sense
group G is neither uninstalled nor fully installed. This 'group'
business is not 'atomic' as are individual rpms are 'atomic': a single
rpm package is either installed or not installed -- you cannot properly
install 'part' of an rpm, but you can install 'part' of a group [of
rpms].

Old 08-17-2011, 02:20 AM
David

At 07:13 PM 8/16/2011, you wrote:
>At Tue, 16 Aug 2011 18:32:43 -0700 CentOS mailing list
><centos@centos.org> wrote:
>

> > Folks
> >
> > I have encountered a situation with YUM that isn't what I expected.
> >
> > Let's suppose I want to install a group, call it G. My first
> > question would be -- is the group already installed. Realize all of
> > this is scripted.
> >
> > So, I use
> > yum groupinfo
> > and I see the list of installed groups, and those not yet installed.
> >
> > If group G is in the list of installed groups, one would think that
> > there's no point in issuing a "groupinstall".
> >
> > But, to my surprise, a group can be listed as "installed", only to
> > find that a groupinstall will actually do a lot of installs.
> >
> > So, I had to adapt my script to perform a "groupinfo G", parse the
> > modules, and individually test them to see if they need installation.
> >
> > I do not understand this behavior -- group G is shown as "installed",
> > but it really isn't.
>
>I think what is happening is that some sub-set of group G, probably to
>satisfy various dependcies for rpms in group A, B and F (say). Elements
>of Group G have been installed, but not ALL of group G has been
>installed, and thus group G is *partitically* installed. In a sense
>group G is neither uninstalled nor fully installed. This 'group'
>business is not 'atomic' as are individual rpms are 'atomic': a single
>rpm package is either installed or not installed -- you cannot properly
>install 'part' of an rpm, but you can install 'part' of a group [of
>rpms].

Robert

Yes, I sort of came to the same conclusion, but couldn't express it
as elegantly as you did. Luckily, about 30 lines of Perl took care
of it, by converting the module list from groupinfo into individual
items which I could match against the "yum list installed"

Old 08-17-2011, 12:06 PM
"Owen Beckley"

Another thing to consider is that individual RPMs within a group have
different membership types. RPMs can have a type of "default,"
"optional," "mandatory", or "conditional." I don't know if a group is
considered "installed" if only one RPM is installed, or if all of the
"mandatory" RPMs are installed.

When you run "yum groupinstall," it looks to me like you get "mandatory"
and "default" packages, but not "optional."

-Owen

Old 08-18-2011, 10:53 AM
James Pearson

david wrote:
> Folks
>
> I have encountered a situation with YUM that isn't what I expected.
>
> Let's suppose I want to install a group, call it G. My first
> question would be -- is the group already installed. Realize all of
> this is scripted.
>
> So, I use
> yum groupinfo
> and I see the list of installed groups, and those not yet installed.
>
> If group G is in the list of installed groups, one would think that
> there's no point in issuing a "groupinstall".
>
> But, to my surprise, a group can be listed as "installed", only to
> find that a groupinstall will actually do a lot of installs.
>
> So, I had to adapt my script to perform a "groupinfo G", parse the
> modules, and individually test them to see if they need installation.
>
> I do not understand this behavior -- group G is shown as "installed",
> but it really isn't.

If you need the group installed, why not just issue the 'yum
groupinstall' - if all the RPMS are already installed, then yum does
nothing - if not, it will install what you need - i.e. yum will do what
you need without extra scripting.

James Pearson