Old 08-16-2011, 08:57 PM
Alfred von Campe

Default Problem getting eth0 up

I'm just starting to test CentOS 6 in our environment, and as a first step did a basic install from DVD (Desktop target, all defaults). Next I will try to automate the installations as I did for CentOS 5 using the anakonda-ks.cfg file generated by the manual install.

However, I can't wrap my brain around the new NetworkManager to get it to configure the eth0 interface to obtain an IP address from our DHCP server. I've seen the FAQ on the wiki and the interface is up, but it doesn't get an IP address. I've done the installation from DVD multiple times now, each time with the same result. What am i missing?

Alfred

Old 08-16-2011, 09:30 PM
"Lisandro Grullon"

Is you network card even loaded when you type "ifconfig -a" in the $hell? Give us more details as to what you are doing to get the DHCP address.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:37 PM
Tom H

On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 4:57 PM, Alfred von Campe <alfred@von-campe.com> wrote:

> I'm just starting to test CentOS 6 in our environment, and as a first step did a basic
> install from DVD (Desktop target, all defaults). Next I will try to automate the
> installations as I did for CentOS 5 using the anakonda-ks.cfg file generated by the
> manual install.
>
> However, I can't wrap my brain around the new NetworkManager to get it to configure
> the eth0 interface to obtain an IP address from our DHCP server. I've seen the FAQ
> on the wiki and the interface is up, but it doesn't get an IP address. I've done the
> installation from DVD multiple times now, each time with the same result.

If you mean during the install, add "--activate" to your kickstart
file's "network ..." line.

If you mean after the install, what's the output of "chkconfig --list
NetworkManager", "chkconfig --list network", and your NIC's ifcfg-X?

Old 08-17-2011, 12:37 AM
Alfred von Campe

On Aug 16, 2011, at 17:30, Lisandro Grullon wrote:Is you network card even loaded when you type "ifconfig -a" in the $hell? Give us more details as to what you are doing to get the DHCP address.

I'm away from the system now, so I can't post the output if ifconfig now, but basically I did a default installation from DVD and when the system booted the network was not available. *That is somewhat unexpected behavior in my opinion. *I expect the network to just work out of the box if a DHCP server is available on the network. *It always did in CentOS 4 and 5 in the past.
Alfred

Old 08-17-2011, 12:39 AM
Alfred von Campe

On Aug 16, 2011, at 18:37, Tom H wrote:

> If you mean during the install, add "--activate" to your kickstart
> file's "network ..." line.

That's good to know for the near future when I will be tweaking my existing kickstart files.

> If you mean after the install, what's the output of "chkconfig --list
> NetworkManager", "chkconfig --list network", and your NIC's ifcfg-X?

I will check and post this information when I am back in the office tomorrow.

Alfred

Old 08-17-2011, 10:52 AM
John Doe

From: Alfred von Campe <alfred@von-campe.com>

> However, I can't wrap my brain around the new NetworkManager to get it to
> configure the eth0 interface to obtain an IP address from our DHCP server.
> I've seen the FAQ on the wiki and the interface is up, but it doesn't
> get an IP address.* I've done the installation from DVD multiple times now,
> each time with the same result.* What am i missing?

Unless I am mistaken (only tried one manual install some time ago),
I kind of remember the need to check an "activate at boot" box in
the network properties at setup time...

JD

Old 08-17-2011, 01:50 PM
Alfred von Campe

On Aug 16, 2011, at 18:37, Tom H wrote:

> If you mean after the install, what's the output of "chkconfig --list
> NetworkManager", "chkconfig --list network", and your NIC's ifcfg-X?

I ended up re-installing the system from DVD this morning (don't have my kickstart server set up yet), and this time I noticed a "Configure Network" button in one of the screens. It was there that I enabled a setting to start the network on boot, and now it's working "out of the box". I can't stop to wonder why upstream decided to make this optional. Who doesn't want their network up, especially because it's not obvious how to start it once you are logged in?

But the story doesn't stop there. When I enabled the network during the installation, the connection name was "System eth0". When I logged in (as root, because this is just a test system and I hadn't configured local or network accounts yet), the network was running but using a connection named "Wired connection 1" and I had two ifcfg-X files:

# cat network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
DEVICE=eth0
HWADDR=bc:30:5b:e7:a7:1c
NM_CONTROLLED=yes
ONBOOT=no
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
TYPE=Ethernet
USERCTL=no
PEERDNS=yes
IPV6INIT=no

#cat network-scripts/ifcfg-Wired_connection_1
HWADDR=BC:30:5B:E7:A7:1C
TYPE=Ethernet
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
DEFROUTE=yes
PEERDNS=yes
PEERROUTES=yes
IPV4_FAILURE_FATAL=yes
IPV6INIT=no
NAME="Wired connection 1"
UUID=44c68048-52ba-4e5e-807f-adf8a881552f
ONBOOT=yes
LAST_CONNECT=1313586374

Why on earth would NM create another config file for the same interface? Also, how do I tell NM to include the DHCP_HOSTNAME variable in the config file so that my DHCP server creates a DNS entry?

I think I don't like the NM "overhead" in CentOS 6. Is it just a matter of doing a "chkconfig --del NetworkManager" to get rid off it?

I'll be working on getting the CentOS 6 installation automated via kickstart later this week and hope to resolve all these issues before then.

Thanks for all the help/pointers,
Alfred

Old 08-17-2011, 01:58 PM
"Lisandro Grullon"

Alfred,
I would not delete network manager, it would be better if you stop it "service NetworkManager stop" and disable from booting "chkconfig NetworkManager off"....it can turn a useful tool for troubleshooting in the future. In a second note about the multi-NIC, i would focus in the actual card that have the connections....here at work we have system with 8 NIC for redundant links, but my main focus is in the actual ports that have connectivity. Take a look at /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts.....focus in the ifcfg-ethx that is actually working in your box. Don't forget that you can always use system-config-network-tui as an alternative to using the GUI, as long as you have it install "yum install system-config-network-tui -y".....I think you are in the right path, let us know how it turn out. In reference to the host name, take a look at the file /etc/sysconfig/network and /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg_ethx to assign host name information....I hope I didn't confuse you more....the Redhat documentation is rocksolid, take a glance at it. Best of luck to you.

Old 08-17-2011, 02:58 PM
Alfred von Campe

On Aug 17, 2011, at 9:58, Lisandro Grullon wrote:In a second note about the multi-NIC, i would focus in the actual card that have the connections
That's my point, I only have one NIC (it's a desktop system) yet NM created two config files, one with and the other with *I reinstalled the system yet again, and this time there was only one. *I don't really like how NM affects the system; I think I'll disable it and edit the ifcfg file by hand (well, with a script).
Alfred

Old 08-17-2011, 03:56 PM
John Doe

From: Alfred von Campe <alfred@von-campe.com>
> I don't really like how NM affects the system; I think I'll disable it.

+1
Must be helpful for end users connecting to multiple networks,

but I really prefer static configurations for servers.

JD