Old 08-16-2011, 03:48 PM
Jerry Geis

Default thunderbird cannot open attached pdf

I am using thunderbird on centos 6.
I get a message about cannot open the file as helper application
does not exist.

Which package needs to be installed for the pdf helper application?

Thanks,

Jerry

Old 08-16-2011, 03:59 PM
Dennis Jacobfeuerborn

On 08/16/2011 05:48 PM, Jerry Geis wrote:
> I am using thunderbird on centos 6.
> I get a message about cannot open the file as helper application
> does not exist.
>
> Which package needs to be installed for the pdf helper application?

evince

Regards,
Dennis

Old 08-16-2011, 04:07 PM
Jerry Geis

> evince
>
> Regards,
> Dennis
Dennis,

Odd, evince was installed, I then did a "yum reinstall evince"
and restarted thunderbird and clicked on the pdf attachment and same
message.

jerry

Old 08-16-2011, 05:04 PM
Keith Roberts

On Tue, 16 Aug 2011, Jerry Geis wrote:

> Odd, evince was installed, I then did a "yum reinstall evince"
> and restarted thunderbird and clicked on the pdf attachment and same
> message.

Hello Jerry. I don't use TB, but under Firefox you can set
which helper applications are associated with a particular
file type. Using Firefox will open the PDF for me with
evince. Maybe you need to set the helper application under
your TB preferences, so TB knows which program to use for
viewing PDF's?

Kind Regards,

Keith Roberts

Websites:
http://www.karsites.net
http://www.php-debuggers.net
http://www.raised-from-the-dead.org.uk

TMDA [http://tmda.net]

Old 08-16-2011, 05:44 PM
Jerry Geis

> Hello Jerry. I don't use TB, but under Firefox you can set
> which helper applications are associated with a particular
> file type. Using Firefox will open the PDF for me with
> evince. Maybe you need to set the helper application under
> your TB preferences, so TB knows which program to use for
> viewing PDF's?
>
> Kind Regards,

Keith,

thanks - I went looking there. I found it, it was set for
"Document Viewer (default)". I tried it again did not work,
I went back in and changed it to "ask me", clicked on my
pdf and it asked me - I selected Document Viewer and it worked.
Go figure!
I even then tried it again and said do automatically and it worked.
Go figure.

Anyway seems good now - thanks for the pointer.

jerry