Old 08-15-2011, 10:41 PM
"Joseph L. Casale"

Default SAS storage arrays, C6, and SES lights

>Afaik the LEDs won't work out-of-the-box.

Maybe,
I presume its vendor specific but if they appear to linux in sys,
maybe a solution like the first link suggests?

http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/2/3/193

Old 08-16-2011, 07:19 AM
John R Pierce

On 08/15/11 3:31 PM, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> Afaik the LEDs won't work out-of-the-box.
>
> There's no daemon currently in Linux responsible for monitoring disk status
> and lighting up SES LEDs accordingly..

yikes. thats pretty amateur. I thought Linux was better than that.

I've found some man pages for sg_ses, which appears to be a util for
querying and commanding the SES, including turning the lights on and off.

--
john r pierce N 37, W 122
santa cruz ca mid-left coast

Old 08-16-2011, 07:38 AM
Keith Roberts

Afaik the LEDs won't work out-of-the-box.

There's no daemon currently in Linux responsible for monitoring disk status
and lighting up SES LEDs accordingly..

yikes. thats pretty amateur. I thought Linux was better than that.

I've found some man pages for sg_ses, which appears to be a util for
querying and commanding the SES, including turning the lights on and off.

Not sure if you can write a plugin for GKrelM, that is used
to monitor disk I/O and temperatures on my C5.6 box?

Installed Packages
Name : gkrellm
Arch : i386
Version : 2.3.0
Release : 4.el5.1
Size : 1.8 M
Repo : installed
net interfaces
: automatically. An on/off button and online
timer for the PPP
: interface is provided, as well as monitors for
memory and swap
: usage, file system, internet connections, APM
laptop battery,
: mbox style mailboxes, and temperature sensors
on supported
: systems. Also included is an uptime monitor, a
hostname label,

: and a clock/calendar. Additional features are:
:
: * Autoscaling grid lines with configurable
grid line

: resolution.
: * LED indicators for the net interfaces.
: * A gui popup for configuration of chart
sizes and

: resolutions.

Available Packages
Name : gkrellm-daemon
Arch : i386
Version : 2.2.7
Release : 0.el5.rf
Size : 50 k
Repo : rpmforge
you can install on
: its own on machines you intend to monitor with
gkrellm from a

: different location.

Name : gkrellm-devel
Arch : i386
Version : 2.2.7
Release : 0.el5.rf
Size : 18 k
Repo : rpmforge
plugins to use

: with the GKrellM monitor.

Kind Regards,

Keith Roberts

Websites:
http://www.karsites.net
http://www.php-debuggers.net
http://www.raised-from-the-dead.org.uk

TMDA [http://tmda.net]

Old 08-16-2011, 07:59 AM
Pasi Kärkkäinen

On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 12:19:17AM -0700, John R Pierce wrote:
> On 08/15/11 3:31 PM, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> > Afaik the LEDs won't work out-of-the-box.
> >
> > There's no daemon currently in Linux responsible for monitoring disk status
> > and lighting up SES LEDs accordingly..
>
> yikes. thats pretty amateur. I thought Linux was better than that.
>
> I've found some man pages for sg_ses, which appears to be a util for
> querying and commanding the SES, including turning the lights on and off.

Yep.. you could (would) use sg_ses as a part of the solution.

.. but there's more than that. If you get IO errors from some disk,
you need to figure out on which backplane slot that disk is,
and only then you can light up the LED..

ie. you need a daemon/tool that monitors status of disks,
and keeps the Linux disk <-> ses slot mapping up-to-date.

-- Pasi

Old 08-16-2011, 02:03 PM
John R Pierce

On 08/16/11 12:59 AM, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> ie. you need a daemon/tool that monitors status of disks,
> and keeps the Linux disk<-> ses slot mapping up-to-date.

i'm amazed this doesn't exist. isn't this a really common problem with
storage arrays?

--
john r pierce N 37, W 122
santa cruz ca mid-left coast

Old 08-16-2011, 03:23 PM
Rudi Ahlers

On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 4:03 PM, John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com> wrote:
> On 08/16/11 12:59 AM, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
>> ie. you need a daemon/tool that monitors status of disks,
>> and keeps the Linux disk<-> *ses slot mapping up-to-date.
>
> i'm amazed this doesn't exist. * isn't this a really common problem with
> storage arrays?
>

> --
> john r pierce * * * * * * * * * * * * * *N 37, W 122
> santa cruz ca * * * * * * * * * * * * mid-left coast

yup.

I inquired about it a while ago (something about switching LED's on)
and didn't get very far either.

--
Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Website: http://www.SoftDux.com
Technical Blog: http://Blog.SoftDux.com
Office: 087 805 9573
Cell: 082 554 7532

Old 08-17-2011, 06:26 AM
"Christopher Chan"

OpenIndiana has all that builtin...

/me ducks.

Old 08-17-2011, 07:37 AM
Rudi Ahlers

On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 8:26 AM, Christopher Chan
<christopher.chan@bradbury.edu.hk> wrote:
> OpenIndiana has all that builtin...
>
> /me ducks.

Yes, and so does many commercial NAS appliances that run on Linux -
but do you think they'll tell us how they got it working?

Old 08-18-2011, 10:51 AM
Pasi Kärkkäinen

On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 07:03:01AM -0700, John R Pierce wrote:
> On 08/16/11 12:59 AM, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> > ie. you need a daemon/tool that monitors status of disks,
> > and keeps the Linux disk<-> ses slot mapping up-to-date.
>
> i'm amazed this doesn't exist. isn't this a really common problem with
> storage arrays?

It is. I guess that's one of the reasons why many people still use hardware RAID adapters..
(firmware of the hardware RAID adapter takes case of the SES/LED management.)

Someone should start an opensource project to build this kind of management daemon
for software RAID on Linux. It's not very difficult.. someone just has to do it

The only solution that I'm aware right now is Linux dm-raid..
I think it can handle some LEDs on some chassises. But that's implemented in kernel-driver..

-- Pasi

Old 08-18-2011, 10:53 AM
Pasi Kärkkäinen

On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 02:26:51PM +0800, Christopher Chan wrote:
> OpenIndiana has all that builtin...

Well in a way. Afaik out-of-the-box opensolaris/openindiana FMA (Fault Management Agent)
only works with some certain Sun/Oracle chassises.

It requires plugins for other models.

-- Pasi