Old 08-15-2011, 06:19 PM
John R Pierce

Default SAS storage arrays, C6, and SES lights

So I'm curious how SAS JBOD arrays and linux MDraid as implemented in
CentOS6, and SES (SCSI/SAS Enclosure Services) backplane controllers
'get along' and how much configuration is needed to get the warning
lights to work properly.

scenario: whitebox server with a SAS backplane or two, daisy chained
on a SAS HBA (like an LSI Logic 2008), and disks organized as several
raid5/6 using linux mdraid. Does this system have to be configured to
ensure that the activity and failure lights match the drive bays, or
does the SAS/SES spec all sort that out 'plug and play' ?

does mdraid properly set those warning lights automatically on a failed
raid element?

--
john r pierce N 37, W 122
santa cruz ca mid-left coast

Old 08-15-2011, 10:31 PM
Pasi Kärkkäinen

On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 11:19:22AM -0700, John R Pierce wrote:
> So I'm curious how SAS JBOD arrays and linux MDraid as implemented in
> CentOS6, and SES (SCSI/SAS Enclosure Services) backplane controllers
> 'get along' and how much configuration is needed to get the warning
> lights to work properly.
>
> scenario: whitebox server with a SAS backplane or two, daisy chained
> on a SAS HBA (like an LSI Logic 2008), and disks organized as several
> raid5/6 using linux mdraid. Does this system have to be configured to
> ensure that the activity and failure lights match the drive bays, or
> does the SAS/SES spec all sort that out 'plug and play' ?
>
> does mdraid properly set those warning lights automatically on a failed
> raid element?

Afaik the LEDs won't work out-of-the-box.

There's no daemon currently in Linux responsible for monitoring disk status
and lighting up SES LEDs accordingly..

Feel free to write such a daemon! (or even better, prove me wrong)

-- Pasi