Old 08-12-2011, 09:35 PM
Keith Roberts

Default smartd and palimpsest

On Fri, 12 Aug 2011, Robert Heller wrote:

*snip*

>>> The disk's *firmware* updated itself. So long as the *disk* is powered
>>> up and spinning, its *firmware* is 'running' (or runs when the disk is
>>> accessed or something like that). Modern disks are a long, long way
>>> from the simple MFM drives of the 1970s (which presented little more
>>> than a buffered interface to the drive mechanism and read/write heads
>>> to the host controller -- eg little more than a simple floppy disk
>>> drive) -- modern disks have actual embedded micro-processors on them
>>> doing various stuff, including monitoring and logging things like
>>> sector errors, drive temp., and so on.
>>
>> So does accessing some of the smart data cause any disk i/o
>> at all, or is this all done from directly firmware?
>
> Depends. Some of the SMART information is stored on special sectors of
> the platter (sectors that are not part of the sectors available for
> normal use). Some of the information is fixed burned into the
> (E*)ROM(s) (eg serial numbers) on the disk's logic board and some
> information is 'live' (eg current disk temperature). There IS I/O
> between the host system and the disk's logic board.

Thanks Robert. Reason I ask is because I'm using GKrellM to
monitor my HDD temperatures. So I just wondered if querying
the HDD temps to often would create more disk i/o ?

Kind Regards,

Keith Roberts

Websites:
http://www.karsites.net
http://www.php-debuggers.net
http://www.raised-from-the-dead.org.uk

TMDA [http://tmda.net]

Old 08-13-2011, 01:12 AM
Robert Heller

> On Fri, 12 Aug 2011, Robert Heller wrote:
>
> *snip*

> >> So does accessing some of the smart data cause any disk i/o
> >> at all, or is this all done from directly firmware?
> >
> > Depends. Some of the SMART information is stored on special sectors of
> > the platter (sectors that are not part of the sectors available for
> > normal use). Some of the information is fixed burned into the
> > (E*)ROM(s) (eg serial numbers) on the disk's logic board and some
> > information is 'live' (eg current disk temperature). There IS I/O
> > between the host system and the disk's logic board.
>
> Thanks Robert. Reason I ask is because I'm using GKrellM to
> monitor my HDD temperatures. So I just wondered if querying
> the HDD temps to often would create more disk i/o ?

I believe the HDD temps are a 'live' sensor reading. The firmware might
log record/excessive high temps to a reserved sector as part of the
disk's long term health status, but it is unlikely to be constantly
logging routine temperatures.