Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   CentOS (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/)
-   -   vmxnet3 patch for CentOS6 kernel? (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/563341-vmxnet3-patch-centos6-kernel.html)

Matti Aarnio 08-11-2011 09:17 PM

vmxnet3 patch for CentOS6 kernel?
 
Hi,

Could CentOS kernel keepers apply following patch on current kernel?
http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/95785/

(Current as: 2.6.32-71.29.1.el6.x86_64)

With the patch applied, and a ".local" kernel built, I get 30% higher throughput with vmxnet3 in my IP routing node, than when using e1000 "card" at the same. Without the patch, the TCP flow over vmxnet3 driver on a _router_ node is abysmally slow.

I am running a bunch of CentOS servers on VMware ESXi 4.1U1 hosts with multiple of VLANs.
The best network performance is obtainable with vmxnet3 network driver in normal case.
This driver includes so called LRO optimization, which boosts TCP flow network performance on end-nodes, but kills it on routers, thus the LRO mode needs to be disabled on a host doing routing in between network interfaces.

The issue is a bug in vmxnet3 driver, which is not able to disable LRO mode when the kernel is telling the driver to do so.
The patch for it applies on 2.6.32 kernels as well as 2.6.38/39 where it got applied to baseline.


Could this be applied on stock CentOS kernel so that I could return on un-customized kernel use?


Best Regards, Matti Aarnio

PS: bugs.centos.org is apparently unable to send email out, otherwise I would have written this as a bug report...

<http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/95785/>

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

"Simon Matter" 08-11-2011 09:29 PM

vmxnet3 patch for CentOS6 kernel?
 
> Hi,
>
> Could CentOS kernel keepers apply following patch on current kernel?
> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/95785/
>
> (Current as: 2.6.32-71.29.1.el6.x86_64)

Maybe it could go into the plus kernel, but I'm quite sure it will not be
put into the standard kernel.

Did you check if it is in the upcoming 6.1 kernel (2.6.32-131.6.1.el6)?

Simon


_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

Akemi Yagi 08-11-2011 09:30 PM

vmxnet3 patch for CentOS6 kernel?
 
On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 2:17 PM, Matti Aarnio <matti.aarnio@methics.fi> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Could CentOS kernel keepers apply following patch on current kernel?
> * *http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/95785/

(snip)

> Could this be applied on stock CentOS kernel so that I could return on un-customized kernel use?

Because CentOS is a bug-for-bug clone of the upstream vendor's, it is
not possible to modify or apply patches to the distro kernel. But this
could be done in the centosplus kernel.

> PS: bugs.centos.org is apparently unable to send email out, otherwise I would have written this as a bug report...

Yes, it is broken. I filed a request to repair it at:

http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=5032

Akemi
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

Morten Stevens 08-11-2011 09:38 PM

vmxnet3 patch for CentOS6 kernel?
 
On Fri, 12 Aug 2011 00:17:02 +0300, Matti Aarnio wrote:

> The issue is a bug in vmxnet3 driver, which is not able to disable
> LRO mode when the kernel is telling the driver to do so.
> The patch for it applies on 2.6.32 kernels as well as 2.6.38/39 where
> it got applied to baseline.

What is with vmware tools? VMware tools provides the latest vmxnet3
driver.

The current version is: VMwareTools-8.3.7-433358.tar.gz

Best regards,

Morten
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

Akemi Yagi 08-11-2011 10:13 PM

vmxnet3 patch for CentOS6 kernel?
 
On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 2:38 PM, Morten Stevens
<mstevens@imt-systems.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Aug 2011 00:17:02 +0300, Matti Aarnio wrote:
>
>> The issue is a bug in vmxnet3 driver, which is not able to disable
>> LRO mode when the kernel is telling the driver to do so.
>> The patch for it applies on 2.6.32 kernels as well as 2.6.38/39 where
>> it got applied to baseline.
>
> What is with vmware tools? VMware tools provides the latest vmxnet3
> driver.
>
> The current version is: VMwareTools-8.3.7-433358.tar.gz

Yes, but ...

I just checked the version I got. It is
VMwareTools-8.4.6-385536.tar.gz and contains vmxnet3.c (dated May 26).
However, the patch OP referenced (dated May 16, 2011) is not in there.
Looks like it is too new.

Akemi
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

Akemi Yagi 08-14-2011 03:39 PM

vmxnet3 patch for CentOS6 kernel?
 
On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 2:30 PM, Akemi Yagi <amyagi@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 2:17 PM, Matti Aarnio <matti.aarnio@methics.fi> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Could CentOS kernel keepers apply following patch on current kernel?
>> * *http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/95785/
>
> (snip)
>
>> Could this be applied on stock CentOS kernel so that I could return on un-customized kernel use?
>
> Because CentOS is a bug-for-bug clone of the upstream vendor's, it is
> not possible to modify or apply patches to the distro kernel. But this
> could be done in the centosplus kernel.
>
>> PS: bugs.centos.org is apparently unable to send email out, otherwise I would have written this as a bug report...
>
> Yes, it is broken. I filed a request to repair it at:
>
> http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=5032

The problem has been fixed according to the above bug tracker report.
You can now go ahead and do an RFE (under the 'CentOSPlus' category)
if you so wish.

Akemi
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

Akemi Yagi 08-23-2011 08:31 PM

vmxnet3 patch for CentOS6 kernel?
 
On Sun, Aug 14, 2011 at 8:39 AM, Akemi Yagi <amyagi@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 2:30 PM, Akemi Yagi <amyagi@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 2:17 PM, Matti Aarnio <matti.aarnio@methics.fi> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Could CentOS kernel keepers apply following patch on current kernel?
>>> * *http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/95785/
>>
>> (snip)
>>
>>> Could this be applied on stock CentOS kernel so that I could return on un-customized kernel use?
>>
>> Because CentOS is a bug-for-bug clone of the upstream vendor's, it is
>> not possible to modify or apply patches to the distro kernel. But this
>> could be done in the centosplus kernel.
>>
>>> PS: bugs.centos.org is apparently unable to send email out, otherwise I would have written this as a bug report...

> You can now go ahead and do an RFE (under the 'CentOSPlus' category)
> if you so wish.

Submitted the request on behalf of the OP:

http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=5054

A kernel update ( 2.6.32-131.12.1.el6 ) came out upstream today. This
patch will be added to the centosplus kernel.

Akemi
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

Akemi Yagi 08-26-2011 08:48 PM

vmxnet3 patch for CentOS6 kernel?
 
On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 1:31 PM, Akemi Yagi <amyagi@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 2:17 PM, Matti Aarnio <matti.aarnio@methics.fi> wrote:
>>>> Hi,
>>>>
>>>> Could CentOS kernel keepers apply following patch on current kernel?
>>>> * *http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/95785/
>>>
>>> (snip)
>>>
>>>> Could this be applied on stock CentOS kernel so that I could return on un-customized kernel use?
>
> Submitted the request on behalf of the OP:
>
> http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=5054
>
> A kernel update ( 2.6.32-131.12.1.el6 ) came out upstream today. This
> patch will be added to the centosplus kernel.

The latest centosplus test kernel ( kernel-2.6.32-131.12.1.el6.ayplus
) has the patch referenced by the OP. The binaries are here:

http://centos.toracat.org/kernel/centos6/centosplus-testing/

Matti, can you please test this kernel?

Akemi
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:37 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.