Old 07-28-2011, 11:58 PM
Julio Martinez

Default CentOS 6 Webmail

> I'd give users Exchange and OWA before I would even consider Horde and its ilk
Well, we want free software, if I wanted to pay for a good webmail server I'd go for Axigen, as my experience, excellent option running on CentOS.

J.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:55 AM
Craig White

On Thu, 2011-07-28 at 13:33 -0500, John R. Dennison wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 07:14:39PM +0100, Keith Roberts wrote:
> >
> > +1 that's what my hosting provider gives on my webmail
> > service, and I think it's a nice application to use.
>
> Please excuse the untimely response - been busy.
>
> I'd give users Exchange and OWA before I would even consider Horde and
> its ilk; their track record with regards to security is abysmal and
> while it may have gotten somewhat better in the past year or so the
> security track record of that project leaves an extremely bad taste in
> my mouth.
----
Not going to comment on Exchange/OWA

Horde/Imp etc. security track record is no worse than any other PHP
based web-mail solution. It has all the attack vectors - PHP, SQL, IMAP
etc. It is so flexible that you can use pretty much any IMAP server
(including Exchange), any SQL DB, any web server, etc. which of course
leaves many possibilities for misconfiguration. What really happens is
that they are sometimes used for sending out spam because of bad
password policies on many servers. To the Horde/IMP developers credit,
they do have rate limiting methods available. It's also used by many
universities throughout the world.

And by the way, check your apache logs... the webmail server script
kiddies are looking for is roundcube

Craig

believed to be clean.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:15 AM
John Hodrien

On Fri, 29 Jul 2011, Craig White wrote:

> Not going to comment on Exchange/OWA

It's really hard for me not to. Exchange is a god awful pile of crap that
doesn't properly implement IMAP (true of 2003-2007, not tried 2010), and MS
don't really care that much about it, as you should be using MAPI. It's buggy
enough that a single IMAP client can bring it into a state where it's no
longer functional until you restart it all. Message flags on 2007 are stored
independently for MAPI and IMAP, so if you read a message with IMAP, it's
still listed as unread in the web interface. Reading a message in the web
interface will reorder your mailbox as far as IMAP is concerned. Do an IMAP
search for an email address and it won't find it, as it only indexes on the
real name component. It stuffs up signed messages due to its broken IMAP
implementation. Things like thunderbird have code designed especially for
Exchange to work around these bugs, so it generally looks a lot more
functional than it should.

OWA on 2007 is designed to be rubbish in non-IE browsers. What to set
filtering rules up, or check your quota, or arrange a meeting for 10:15am.
You won't be doing any of that with firefox.

Anyone holding up Exchange as an example of an IMAP/Webmail solution had
better be holding it up as an example of how not to do it.

jh