Old 07-21-2011, 11:51 AM
Andrey Mundirov

Default How to remove Microsoft soft raid?

21.07.2011 15:31, Brian McKerr пишет:
> I usually boot from the installer CD and go to a virtual terminal
> (Alt-F1). In the shell;
>
> dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/disk-i-want-to-destroy bs=512 count=1
>
> I'd guess that the partition table has some microsoft funkiness in it
> that needs to be wiped.
>
> Take, care with this, it can and does eat data.......
>

> Cheers.

If this does not work, try to erase the LAST cylinder of each disk.
Metadata may be stored there.

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/disk-i-want-to-destroy bs=x count=y skip=z

where x,y,z depend on your disk geometry

Old 07-21-2011, 02:16 PM
Robert Heller

> Have a quad core workstation that was running WinXP_64 that I want to
> blow away and install CentOS 6. C6 install process finds raid metadata
> associated with sda and sdb, and then excludes them from the rest of the
> installation process.
>
> There doesn't appear to be an option for disassembling the raid as part
> of the install process. I think there should be.
>
> Any tricks to removing/by-passing the soft raid left over from the
> previous OS?

Is this pure WinXP_64 software RAID or BIOS-assisted 'fakeraid'? If the
latter, go into the BIOS and change its settings from 'RAID' to 'AHCI'
or other 'native' SATA mode.

The only other thought would be to use a Live CD to clobber the disks
(eg using fdisk or 'dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda' or something). It might
also be possible to get to a shell process with Alt-F2 in the installer
and using fdisk, etc. to clobber the disks -- do this *before* screen
where it asks about partitioning, etc.

Old 07-21-2011, 02:16 PM
Robert Heller

Old 07-21-2011, 03:09 PM
Drew

>From the sounds of it it's fake raid. M$ doesn't leave any signatures
on their raid system that linux will detect. dm/md raid can see
fakeraid signatures in newer versions so the installer may be picking
up on that.

--
Drew

On 07/21/2011, Robert Heller <heller@deepsoft.com> wrote:
> wrote:
>

>> Have a quad core workstation that was running WinXP_64 that I want to
>> blow away and install CentOS 6. C6 install process finds raid metadata
>> associated with sda and sdb, and then excludes them from the rest of the
>> installation process.
>>
>> There doesn't appear to be an option for disassembling the raid as part
>> of the install process. I think there should be.
>>
>> Any tricks to removing/by-passing the soft raid left over from the
>> previous OS?
>
> Is this pure WinXP_64 software RAID or BIOS-assisted 'fakeraid'? If the
> latter, go into the BIOS and change its settings from 'RAID' to 'AHCI'
> or other 'native' SATA mode.
>
> The only other thought would be to use a Live CD to clobber the disks
> (eg using fdisk or 'dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda' or something). It might
> also be possible to get to a shell process with Alt-F2 in the installer
> and using fdisk, etc. to clobber the disks -- do this *before* screen
> where it asks about partitioning, etc.
>

>> Dave M

> Robert Heller -- 978-544-6933 / heller@deepsoft.com
> Deepwoods Software -- http://www.deepsoft.com/
> () ascii ribbon campaign -- against html e-mail
> / www.asciiribbon.org -- against proprietary attachments

Sent from my mobile device

Drew

--Marie Curie

"This started out as a hobby and spun horribly out of control."
-Unknown

MGen Dorlan Kwase UFPSFMC
Deputy Judge Advocate General
9th MARDIV Commander, Ret.
Obsidian Fleet

Old 07-21-2011, 03:17 PM
Phil Schaffner

Drew wrote on 07/21/2011 11:09 AM:
>> From the sounds of it it's fake raid. M$ doesn't leave any signatures
> on their raid system that linux will detect. dm/md raid can see
> fakeraid signatures in newer versions so the installer may be picking
> up on that.

So, erasing the RAID signatures with "dd" in addition to changing the
BIOS setting, is indicated.

Phil

Old 07-28-2011, 10:45 AM
David McGuffey

On Thu, 2011-07-21 at 11:17 -0400, Phil Schaffner wrote:
> Drew wrote on 07/21/2011 11:09 AM:
> >> From the sounds of it it's fake raid. M$ doesn't leave any signatures
> > on their raid system that linux will detect. dm/md raid can see
> > fakeraid signatures in newer versions so the installer may be picking
> > up on that.
>
> So, erasing the RAID signatures with "dd" in addition to changing the
> BIOS setting, is indicated.
>
> Phil

Used a CentOS 6 Live DVD to boot. Then discovered that under
Applications>System>Disk Utilities one can manage disks to include
busting up old raid devices and partitions.

Whatever raid metadata was written by WinXP-64 was destroyed and I was
able to do a proper install of CentOS 6.

Thanks go to the upstream developers for enhancing the disk utilities.

DaveM

Old 07-28-2011, 12:16 PM
Drew

> Whatever raid metadata was written by WinXP-64 was destroyed and I was
> able to do a proper install of CentOS 6.

I'd still strongly recommend, if you haven't done so, check your BIOS
to make sure your SATA controller doesn't have RAID mode enabled. I've
seen the odd weird interaction between Linux, the BIOS, and the SATA
controller (especially early non-"Intel ICH" family) that was traced
back to that setting.

--
Drew

--Marie Curie