FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > CentOS > CentOS

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 07-17-2011, 03:39 PM
Timothy Murphy
 
Default CentOS-6 firewall how to open a port

I'm running CentOS-6 on an HP MicroServer (since this morning)
and I'd like to open an non-standard port,
for use on a laptop attached to the internet through the server.

Do I have to explicitly add an iptables rule?
If so, and I want to open (say) udp port 500 ,
what command should I give?

I've always used shorewall in the past,
and will probably do so now if the default firewall is difficult to use.
But I thought I would try it first as an experiment.

My recollection is that in old versions of CentOS
one could non-standard ports through system-config-firewall ;
but it seems that now this can only be used for standard ports;

I looked at <http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Network/IPTables>
but didn't find it very enlightening.

Any advice or suggestions gratefully received.




--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366
s-mail: School of Mathematics, Trinity College, Dublin 2, Ireland

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 07-17-2011, 03:53 PM
Ljubomir Ljubojevic
 
Default CentOS-6 firewall how to open a port

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> I'm running CentOS-6 on an HP MicroServer (since this morning)
> and I'd like to open an non-standard port,
> for use on a laptop attached to the internet through the server.
>
> Do I have to explicitly add an iptables rule?
> If so, and I want to open (say) udp port 500 ,
> what command should I give?
>
> I've always used shorewall in the past,
> and will probably do so now if the default firewall is difficult to use.
> But I thought I would try it first as an experiment.
>
> My recollection is that in old versions of CentOS
> one could non-standard ports through system-config-firewall ;
> but it seems that now this can only be used for standard ports;
>
> I looked at <http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Network/IPTables>
> but didn't find it very enlightening.
>
> Any advice or suggestions gratefully received.
>

Use System -> Administration -> Firewall from GUI.
Or "/usr/bin/system-config-firewall" from SSH/console TUI.

Ljubomir


_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 07-17-2011, 04:05 PM
david
 
Default CentOS-6 firewall how to open a port

At 08:53 AM 7/17/2011, you wrote:
>Timothy Murphy wrote:
> > I'm running CentOS-6 on an HP MicroServer (since this morning)
> > and I'd like to open an non-standard port,
> > for use on a laptop attached to the internet through the server.
> >

(snip)


> > Any advice or suggestions gratefully received.
> >
>
>Use System -> Administration -> Firewall from GUI.
>Or "/usr/bin/system-config-firewall" from SSH/console TUI.
>
>Ljubomir
>

I loaded my system with text-install and network, and find no file
named "/usr/bin/system-config-firewall". My guess is that it comes
with a package that I haven't installed. Can you identify that package?

Thanks
David

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 07-17-2011, 04:10 PM
Rudi Ahlers
 
Default CentOS-6 firewall how to open a port

On Sun, Jul 17, 2011 at 6:05 PM, david <david@daku.org> wrote:
> At 08:53 AM 7/17/2011, you wrote:
>>Timothy Murphy wrote:
>> > I'm running CentOS-6 on an HP MicroServer (since this morning)
>> > and I'd like to open an non-standard port,
>> > for use on a laptop *attached to the internet through the server.
>> >
>
> (snip)
>
>
>> > Any advice or suggestions gratefully received.
>> >
>>
>>Use System -> Administration -> Firewall from GUI.
>>Or "/usr/bin/system-config-firewall" from SSH/console TUI.
>>
>>Ljubomir
>>
>
> I loaded my system with text-install and network, and find no file
> named "/usr/bin/system-config-firewall". *My guess is that it comes
> with a package that I haven't installed. *Can you identify that package?
>
> Thanks
> David
>
> _______________________________________________



yum install system-config-network


--
Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers
SoftDux

Website: http://www.SoftDux.com
Technical Blog: http://Blog.SoftDux.com
Office: 087 805 9573
Cell: 082 554 7532
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 07-17-2011, 11:45 PM
Timothy Murphy
 
Default CentOS-6 firewall how to open a port

Timothy Murphy wrote:

> I'm running CentOS-6 on an HP MicroServer (since this morning)
> and I'd like to open an non-standard port,
> for use on a laptop attached to the internet through the server.
>
> Do I have to explicitly add an iptables rule?
> If so, and I want to open (say) udp port 500 ,
> what command should I give?
...
> My recollection is that in old versions of CentOS
> one could non-standard ports through system-config-firewall ;
> but it seems that now this can only be used for standard ports;

Apologies.
There is a perfectly clear option "Other Ports"
on running system-config-firewall as root.

There does seem to be a bug/feature: if you enter
the same procedure by Administration=>Firewall (in KDE)
you cannot make any changes (at least I could not)
even after giving the superuser password, when requested.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366
s-mail: School of Mathematics, Trinity College, Dublin 2, Ireland

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 07-18-2011, 09:40 AM
Ljubomir Ljubojevic
 
Default CentOS-6 firewall how to open a port

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> There does seem to be a bug/feature: if you enter
> the same procedure by Administration=>Firewall (in KDE)
> you cannot make any changes (at least I could not)
> even after giving the superuser password, when requested.
>

You should reported as a bug, either to bugs.centos.org or on Red Hat's
bugzilla.

--

Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)
PL Computers
Serbia, Europe

Google is the Mother, Google is the Father, and traceroute is your
trusty Spiderman...
StarOS, Mikrotik and CentOS/RHEL/Linux consultant
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 04:46 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org