Old 07-15-2011, 07:37 PM
"Camron W. Fox"

Default CentOS5/6 Dual Boot

Alle,

We currently have a CentOS 5.6 x86-64 server running using about 70G of
a 500GB hardware raid partition. We'd like to install 6.0 alongside this
installation in a dual boot configuration. We tried to install using the
"Use Free Space" installation option, but the installer did not see the
475G of unused space.
Is there any good way to do this, or is it even feasible?

Best Regards,
Camron

--
Camron W. Fox
Hilo Office

Old 07-15-2011, 07:57 PM

Camron W. Fox wrote:
> Alle,
>
> We currently have a CentOS 5.6 x86-64 server running using about 70G of
> a 500GB hardware raid partition. We'd like to install 6.0 alongside this
> installation in a dual boot configuration. We tried to install using the
> "Use Free Space" installation option, but the installer did not see the
> 475G of unused space.
> Is there any good way to do this, or is it even feasible?

Repartition first; if it's a hardware RAID, then in the firmware setup you
should be able to break off part, and then make two partions: one of about
250M or so, for /boot, and the rest, larger, for the rest. Once you've
done that, and the BIOS sees the partitions, you should be able to
install.

I have a much longer discussion at <http://24.5-cent.us/>, in the article
"Upgrading Linux" that I published a few years back.

mark

Old 07-15-2011, 08:01 PM
Ljubomir Ljubojevic

Camron W. Fox wrote:
> Alle,
>
> We currently have a CentOS 5.6 x86-64 server running using about 70G of
> a 500GB hardware raid partition. We'd like to install 6.0 alongside this
> installation in a dual boot configuration. We tried to install using the
> "Use Free Space" installation option, but the installer did not see the
> 475G of unused space.
> Is there any good way to do this, or is it even feasible?
>
> Best Regards,
> Camron

Use "Create Custom ... (configuration?)", create and format the
partitions the way you like it and assign /root, /boot, etc mounts.

It should be 415->430GB of free space, not 475GB.

Ljubomir