Old 07-15-2011, 06:39 PM
"John J. Boyer"

Default What package contains ifconfig?

I don't have ifconfig on my new installation of CentOS 5.6, but it is on
my server in the cloud. What package contains it?
Thanks,
John

Abilitiessoft, Inc.
http://www.abilitiessoft.com
Madison, Wisconsin USA

Old 07-15-2011, 06:41 PM
Digimer

On 07/15/2011 02:39 PM, John J. Boyer wrote:
> I don't have ifconfig on my new installation of CentOS 5.6, but it is on
> my server in the cloud. What package contains it?
> Thanks,
> John

root@vsh02:~# yum provides "*/ifconfig"

Loaded plugins: fastestmirror
* base: centos.mirror.nexicom.net
* extras: centos.mirror.nexicom.net
* updates: centos.mirror.nexicom.net
updates/filelists_db | 2.5 MB
00:00

net-tools-1.60-81.el5.x86_64 : Basic networking tools.
Repo : base
Matched from:
Filename : /sbin/ifconfig

--
Digimer
E-Mail: digimer@alteeve.com

Old 07-15-2011, 06:43 PM
"Marko A. Jennings"

On Fri, July 15, 2011 2:39 pm, John J. Boyer wrote:
> I don't have ifconfig on my new installation of CentOS 5.6, but it is on
> my server in the cloud. What package contains it?

net-tools

Make sure /sbin is in the PATH of the account you are using.

Old 07-15-2011, 06:46 PM
John R Pierce

On 07/15/11 11:39 AM, John J. Boyer wrote:
> I don't have ifconfig on my new installation of CentOS 5.6, but it is on
> my server in the cloud. What package contains it?

that musthave been a really stripped install. I just installed C6
minimal which was about the most stripped install I've ever seen, and it
had /sbin/ifconfig

you -are- looking in /sbin/ right?

--
john r pierce N 37, W 122
santa cruz ca mid-left coast

Old 07-15-2011, 07:30 PM
Lamar Owen

On Friday, July 15, 2011 02:46:53 PM John R Pierce wrote:
> On 07/15/11 11:39 AM, John J. Boyer wrote:
> > I don't have ifconfig on my new installation of CentOS 5.6, but it is on
> > my server in the cloud. What package contains it?

> you -are- looking in /sbin/ right?

/sbin is not by default in a normal user's $PATH.
Excerpt below:
$ cat /etc/redhat-release
CentOS release 5.6 (Final)
$ ifconfig
-bash: ifconfig: command not found
$ su -
Password:
# ifconfig
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr .........
# exit
$ /sbin/ifconfig
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr .........

Old 07-15-2011, 08:06 PM
"John J. Boyer"

On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 03:30:33PM -0400, Lamar Owen wrote:
> On Friday, July 15, 2011 02:46:53 PM John R Pierce wrote:
> > you -are- looking in /sbin/ right?
Yes. I tried to install net-tools and found it was already installed, so
I tried sbin.

Thanks,
John